Hard Cider

Help Support Talkbeer:

Has anyone tried anything from Graft Cider out of Newburgh, NY?

Some crazy stuff. Everything is a wild/sour cider and they have a hops line and a line with other fruits added. Some really cool stuff.
My wife is gluten free and while visiting her family in Buffalo we picked some up. Really impressive stuff. My wife used to be my beer partner in crime before running into some health issues, and she said the Graft stuff is the first ciders to really make her not miss beer. We now look for Graft anytime we are visiting.

Graft is one of my favorite cideries right now and their cans are always a go to for me right now. Just wish I didn't have to go to Maryland for them.
They are available in VA at the MOMS Organic Market near me. The price point isn't horrendous (at least tehy're 4x12oz instead of 16.9/22/750 single bottles, and they taste amazing. There was a collaboration with ASLIN that was very tasty.

I actually said to my gf "these are great, I hope they can hang in there because there's a limited amount of retailers who would even bring these in." That's great to see they're popping up elsewhere, since this MOMS brings in some wacky shit I've never seen anywhere else and a lot of this stuff is one and done for them anyways (which is a bummer for the producer if you have a good product no wholesaler/retailer will bring in and push).

They are available in VA at the MOMS Organic Market near me. The price point isn't horrendous (at least tehy're 4x12oz instead of 16.9/22/750 single bottles, and they taste amazing. There was a collaboration with ASLIN that was very tasty.

I actually said to my gf "these are great, I hope they can hang in there because there's a limited amount of retailers who would even bring these in." That's great to see they're popping up elsewhere, since this MOMS brings in some wacky shit I've never seen anywhere else and a lot of this stuff is one and done for them anyways (which is a bummer for the producer if you have a good product no wholesaler/retailer will bring in and push).
I think they are $16 or so for a 4pack which isn't the worst thing in the world, especially when large format wildly fermented ciders are the same price-if not more-for a single bottle. I've seen them a few places in Maryland,and if they are in VA now I'm really annoyed that distro passes PA and goes south of us.
I have a can of the ASLIN collab in the fridge that will get drunk shortly.

Has anyone tried anything from Graft Cider out of Newburgh, NY?

Some crazy stuff. Everything is a wild/sour cider and they have a hops line and a line with other fruits added. Some really cool stuff.
Apperintly it's the same guy that was doing millstone's ciders. Farm Flor is just an awesome wild cider.

I think they are $16 or so for a 4pack which isn't the worst thing in the world, especially when large format wildly fermented ciders are the same price-if not more-for a single bottle. I've seen them a few places in Maryland,and if they are in VA now I'm really annoyed that distro passes PA and goes south of us.
I have a can of the ASLIN collab in the fridge that will get drunk shortly.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, compared to Millstone (that Cherrkriek was $$ good though) it's way more affordable. Someone I knew who used to sell Millstone (among a ton of other stuff at the wholesale level) said the Millstone people were kind of crazy and all over the place.

There's just such a limited market for cider, you have to have a great product, put in the work/marketing, and still get lucky and even then we don't know if people will be able to hang on 5 years from now, 10yrs, 25yrs. In VA, Jack's which was a longtime partner of the Bud wholesalers, seemed to be flying high both in specialty shops and regular grocery stores. I think it's a good product but I just can't imagine drinking 2 cans of that a night, for a year, indefinitely ... personally at least. Hopefully the core "I only drink cider" people who will make or break these brands, will support people that do seasonal and 1-offs like Graft seems to be trying to do. Lowering the $/oz is a big way to get people who aren't new to the scene on board, which they are doing.

Since I've been in this thread for a minute I'm just going to throw out here a great cider I used to be able to get in DC but haven't seen for a long time: Etienne Dupont: Cidre Reserve. Very careful stainless fermentation then aged 6months in french oak casks which held Calvados. It's way more delicate than any wine, and for all the champagne/cider comparisons, this is not close at all, closer to a dry sauternes IMO. I had it a few times before having traveled to Normandy, and after my trip I couldn't believe how much this bottling encapsulates everything about that place: the apples are there, the influence of the calvados and oak is there, and it's a perfect match for the cuisine and particularly the cheeses they produce. It's a $30 bottle but well worth trying at least once

Yeah that's what I'm saying, compared to Millstone (that Cherrkriek was $$ good though) it's way more affordable. Someone I knew who used to sell Millstone (among a ton of other stuff at the wholesale level) said the Millstone people were kind of crazy and all over the place.

There's just such a limited market for cider, you have to have a great product, put in the work/marketing, and still get lucky and even then we don't know if people will be able to hang on 5 years from now, 10yrs, 25yrs. In VA, Jack's which was a longtime partner of the Bud wholesalers, seemed to be flying high both in specialty shops and regular grocery stores. I think it's a good product but I just can't imagine drinking 2 cans of that a night, for a year, indefinitely ... personally at least. Hopefully the core "I only drink cider" people who will make or break these brands, will support people that do seasonal and 1-offs like Graft seems to be trying to do. Lowering the $/oz is a big way to get people who aren't new to the scene on board, which they are doing.
Yeah heard that family was a bit nuts. I had wondered why millstones quality had gone down. Made sense once I learned about graft.

Craft cider is a hard one. The cider I enjoy, and what most craft beer drinkers would seem to enjoy, is very different than the cider the every man seems to want/enjoy. I think part of it is marketing, they know about angry orchard and what it's supposed to taste like whereas they don't know about craft cider and how true cider should taste. The outside bar where I worked this past summer sold a stupid amount of peach cider. I don't know how anyone could drink one can let alone multiples but a lot of people did. These are not the people who will be buying graft. However, they have two things going for them that I hope will help them flourish. 1)they have really good can designs. I know it doesn't help the taste but as we all know, people always judge a book by its cover. Luckily for them they have dope covers 2) they are very enjoyable for traditional non-cider beer drinkers as well as cider drinkers who don't have an overly sweet tooth.

Since I've been in this thread for a minute I'm just going to throw out here a great cider I used to be able to get in DC but haven't seen for a long time: Etienne Dupont: Cidre Reserve. Very careful stainless fermentation then aged 6months in french oak casks which held Calvados. It's way more delicate than any wine, and for all the champagne/cider comparisons, this is not close at all, closer to a dry sauternes IMO. I had it a few times before having traveled to Normandy, and after my trip I couldn't believe how much this bottling encapsulates everything about that place: the apples are there, the influence of the calvados and oak is there, and it's a perfect match for the cuisine and particularly the cheeses they produce. It's a $30 bottle but well worth trying at least once

Bottle shop at the place where I work has a couple different DuPont ciders. We at least used to have this one and I would think we still do. If you ever would like some bottles PM me.

Bottle shop at the place where I work has a couple different DuPont ciders. We at least used to have this one and I would think we still do. If you ever would like some bottles PM me.
I appreciate it. I could probably track one down if I put in some effort.

I just got a $11/4pk of Graft: Farm Flor which is really great espcially with my cheese and crackers snack. I'm going to rebuy this one for sure. For some reason I have a psychological barrier at $14.99 4pks of cider, so this is a big improvement.

Latest posts