Heading to SF tomorrow for a week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukemroy

Reaction score
I'll be in SF for a week or so starting tomorrow. Looking for some good recommendations for food and drink. Here are things on my list so far:

Drink:
Cellarmaker
Toronado
Bourbon and Branch
Hard Water
City Beer Store
Mikkeller

Food:
State Bird Provisions
Aster
Mission Chinese
Swan Oyster Depot

Would love any and recs. Are some of these places worth skipping? Are there any vital spots I'm missing. We're basically just going to be hanging out with no real agenda so any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers!

Depending on the day and time you go, prepare for possible disappointment at Swan Oyster Depot and Toronado. Bourbon and Branch is cool, just make sure you make a reservation asap if you already haven't.

Depending on the day and time you go, prepare for possible disappointment at Swan Oyster Depot and Toronado. Bourbon and Branch is cool, just make sure you make a reservation asap if you already haven't.

Planning on getting to Swan about 30 mins before open, likely on Thursday. Have a res at B&B at 10pm tomorrow night. Will be super exhausted I imagine but it was the only time available while I'm there.

If you don't already have a reservation at state bird or willing to line up an hour plus before kpening, you will more than likely have a multi hour wait. Unless you get lucky.

Mission Chinese was good five years ago. Not since Danny has left.

Got to Nopa instead.

Yeah, didn't realize how popular State Bird was and missed out on a res. Was going to try and get there at opening but sounds like we'll need to go early. Thanks!

If you don't already have a reservation at state bird or willing to line up an hour plus before kpening, you will more than likely have a multi hour wait. Unless you get lucky.

Mission Chinese was good five years ago. Not since Danny has left.

Got to Nopa instead.
Heard good things about Nopa, so I'll throw that on the list

Planning on getting to Swan about 30 mins before open, likely on Thursday. Have a res at B&B at 10pm tomorrow night. Will be super exhausted I imagine but it was the only time available while I'm there.
Swans is great during crab season. Problem is we still can not get local crab due to toxic algae. All crab is coming in frozen from OR, WA, and AK. I'd skip Swans and go to Hog Island for oysters in the Ferry Building. Great local oysters and plenty of other shops to hit up afterwards. Humphrey Slocombe makes great ice cream.

I'd also recommend the brunch place in the tenderloin where they make all their own breads. It's worth the wait if you're in the city all week. Hopefully someone here can help me out with the name....

I'll be in SF for a week or so starting tomorrow. Looking for some good recommendations for food and drink. Here are things on my list so far:

Drink:
Cellarmaker
Toronado
Bourbon and Branch
Hard Water
City Beer Store
Mikkeller

Food:
State Bird Provisions
Aster
Mission Chinese
Swan Oyster Depot

Would love any and recs. Are some of these places worth skipping? Are there any vital spots I'm missing. We're basically just going to be hanging out with no real agenda so any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers!
I'd skip Toronado and just stay at Cellarmaker longer. There won't be anything special at ToroSF aside from $80 bottles of Cable Car. The place is small and ghetto. If you're in that area though buy some beers at Liquid Experience, dude is cool.

The place is small and ghetto.

giphy.gif

Don't forget Nopalito, and do Commonwealth instead of Mission Chinese -- same founders (old Mission Street Food crew), but a much better restaurant at this point. I also give an unqualified recommendation for Outerlands if you go to Ocean Beach.

Back