Help on BYO Article: Dark Lord Clone Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfdiggs1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been a while since I posted here, been busy trying to find gainful employment, and....

I'm in the midst of finishing up an article on a Dark Lord clone I brewed for BYO (Brew Your Own Magazine) (original thread on BeerAdvocate here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...-stout-stuck-at-1-055-dark-lord-clone.126962/ ). The one thing I don't have for the article are blind tasting notes on the beer I brewed from someone who has drank Dark Lord in the past.

Is there anyone in the LA/OC area that has previous consumed Dark Lord and would be willing to try my clone version of the beer (regular and Bourbon barrel aged) this Sunday and provide tasting notes? Also, if you have a bottle of regular Dark Lord and want to open it up side by side, that is also welcome.

Cheers.

Haha. That's actually lower than the 74 points we tested it at.

So drinkable.

What year was the one you tested? The 2013 I tasted had an after taste like unfermented jaggery sugar, which mine had at about 1.5 weeks into fermentation but was gone by the time I threw it in the barrel or keg.

I saw a post claiming that 2009 had a FG of 1.033, which after tasting it in a vertical next to a bunch of other years, seems believable.

Lol!! No wonder Dark Lord tastes like they added grain alcohol to unfermented stout wort.
My thoughts when I tried 2012 for the first time...this literally tastes like beer that hasn't actually finished brewing. Sugar and green apple.

Had 2007, 2008, 2009 this week and all of them were really good, actual stouts.

Back