Hill Farmstead saison carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heins

Reaction score
Hey everyone. When trying to emulate a mixed fermentation tart saison à la Farmstead ales, Saison Bernice, etc., what volume of CO2 are you shooting for in the bottled beer?

Hey everyone. When trying to emulate a mixed fermentation tart saison à la Farmstead ales, Saison Bernice, etc., what volume of CO2 are you shooting for in the bottled beer?
The thread that Justin linked doesn't dive too deeply into carb levels, but there is some excellent information there.

To answer your question: you'll typically want to be in the range of 3.0-3.3 volumes; just make absolutely sure you're using bottles that are rated to withstand that amount of pressure.

There's a really good write up about the method which St. Somewhere uses to bottle condition their saisons toward the end of this blog post. Highly recommended.

There's a really good write up about the method which St. Somewhere uses to bottle condition their saisons toward the end of this blog post. Highly recommended.

that .885oz/gal beer is awfully low in order to reach 3+ vols CO2, unless the beer hasn't reached terminal yet.
all of my calculators suggest closer to 1.15oz/gal for 3vols

that .885oz/gal beer is awfully low in order to reach 3+ vols CO2, unless the beer hasn't reached terminal yet.
all of my calculators suggest closer to 1.15oz/gal for 3vols
Yeah, you're absolutely correct. I'm realizing that I gave conflicting information. The 3.0-3.3 is my recommended range, but I use the St. Somewhere process. Looks like St. Somewhere goes for a lower carb level than I prefer

I have a blending excel sheet that I use for single batches as well and it'll calculate the amount of sugar for the volumes you're looking for based on the F.G. Happy to share if anyone would like it!

Yeah, you're absolutely correct. I'm realizing that I gave conflicting information. The 3.0-3.3 is my recommended range, but I use the St. Somewhere process. Looks like St. Somewhere goes for a lower carb level than I prefer

I think Bob bottles when the saison strains are done and not necessarily when it's at terminal. Every beer of his I've had is at least 3 volumes if not closer to 4.

I think Bob bottles when the saison strains are done and not necessarily when it's at terminal. Every beer of his I've had is at least 3 volumes if not closer to 4.

So . . . in other words, you're saying that there are other genera of organisms in his beers that continue to ferment after the sacch. species/strains are finished and that leads to a higher level of carbonation than expected?

Back