Hill Farmstead Saison

Help Support Talkbeer:

Anyone had any success brewing a HF style Saison? What did your water profile look like? Hops used? Any other suggestions welcome.

bsc

yes!

highly recommend reading the above link, using it as a guide and also culturing some good yeast.
rumor is they (currently) bottle with wine yeast, but I have still had luck culturing brett/bacteria from dregs.

Just finished a 3 month fermentation of a saison / grisette using Omega Yeast Labs C2C American Farmhouse. Its Hill Farmstead yeast with Logsdon Brett. Really impressed by it... didn't even change the water profile as I wanted to keep all things constant to see how it performed but it really tastes like a HF beer.

65% Pale Malt
25% White Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
Saaz @ FWH
Citra @ 10
Wish I would've dry hopped though :(

Not fully carbed yet in this photo

Wyeast 3726 will be a good base and produces a very distinct mouth feel that their saisons have (most seem to attribute to water/cereal grains). I'd follow any advice from the Farmhouse ales book for water profile etc. Pilner malt + Wheat and maybe some munich. The FG of their beers lead me to believe they mash higher 152-154 ish because with my culture of 3726 my beers hit 1.002 within 3 days and that's with no brett involved. There are multiple strains of brett/souring bacteria in them although a few seem to be dominant notably Brett C+ Drie. If you happen to have aggressive souring bacteria hop a bit higher and pitch it in secondary. If not pitch everything in primary. Ferment 6-8 weeks then bottle with champagne yeast to 3.2+Vols for a minimum of 6 weeks. The beer will continue to develop in the bottle.

Wyeast 3726 will be a good base and produces a very distinct mouth feel that their saisons have (most seem to attribute to water/cereal grains). I'd follow any advice from the Farmhouse ales book for water profile etc. Pilner malt + Wheat and maybe some munich. The FG of their beers lead me to believe they mash higher 152-154 ish because with my culture of 3726 my beers hit 1.002 within 3 days and that's with no brett involved. There are multiple strains of brett/souring bacteria in them although a few seem to be dominant notably Brett C+ Drie. If you happen to have aggressive souring bacteria hop a bit higher and pitch it in secondary. If not pitch everything in primary. Ferment 6-8 weeks then bottle with champagne yeast to 3.2+Vols for a minimum of 6 weeks. The beer will continue to develop in the bottle.
I'm not sure why you'd have to repitch bottling yeast if you are only fermenting for >2 months.

Just finished a 3 month fermentation of a saison / grisette using Omega Yeast Labs C2C American Farmhouse. Its Hill Farmstead yeast with Logsdon Brett. Really impressed by it... didn't even change the water profile as I wanted to keep all things constant to see how it performed but it really tastes like a HF beer.

65% Pale Malt
25% White Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
Saaz @ FWH
Citra @ 10
Wish I would've dry hopped though :(

Not fully carbed yet in this photo
Did it get quite as acidic as HF saisons? Beautiful beer!

Did it get quite as acidic as HF saisons? Beautiful beer!
Not quite to the same level but it has the mineral qualities and mouthfeel I like about HF. I'm not sure it's the yeasts fault about the lack of acidity... the O.G. was only around 1.035-1.040 if I remember correctly so it's pretty low alcohol (3-4%) and 3 months seems pretty young for a saison/Brett beer. Next time I'm leaving it for 6 months or so

Not quite to the same level but it has the mineral qualities and mouthfeel I like about HF. I'm not sure it's the yeasts fault about the lack of acidity... the O.G. was only around 1.035-1.040 if I remember correctly so it's pretty low alcohol (3-4%) and 3 months seems pretty young for a saison/Brett beer. Next time I'm leaving it for 6 months or so
What was your water chemistry like?

What did your IBUs look like? Probably going to pitch some form of lacto in my attempt to get that perfect tartness Shaun's saisons have but don't want to limit the bacteria with too many BUs.

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=
Cross post from what's brewing this month, going to try an extract hill farmstead-esque saison with the TYB184 strain:

I've got the itch again, going to do another extract brew this weekend. Got some rye extract this time, threw together this recipe:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/extract-rye-saison-w-trill-farmstead-brett

3.3 lbs liquid rye extract
4 lbs pilsen DME

2 oz Saaz First Wort Hop, 60 minute boil.

Going to let the saison yeast work first and then finish with the brett in a secondary.
EDIT- Nevermind, they recommend doing it alongside other yeast so I'll pitch it at the same time.
Doing it up this weekend.

Latest posts