Hill Farmstead Saison

Help Support Talkbeer:

drgarage

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Contributor
More seriously, the LAB found in HF dregs can definitely take it. A recent beer I made with their dregs in secondary wasn't tart at all for a long time (probably 35 IBU) but started to sour up a bit at 6 months in bottle. My guess is it's pedio doing the work, which makes brett all the more important...

More seriously, the LAB found in HF dregs can definitely take it. A recent beer I made with their dregs in secondary wasn't tart at all for a long time (probably 35 IBU) but started to sour up a bit at 6 months in bottle. My guess is it's pedio doing the work, which makes brett all the more important...
This sounds right. Pediococcus is notorious for delayed souring. Pediococcus cerevisiae is a hop tolerant strain used in brewing. And just as drgarage said using Pediococcus makes using Brett a must to clean up the diacetyl

Pretty sure they don't kettle sour their saisons.
-_________-

Anybody know a relatively hop tolerant strain of LAB? From everything I can gather most HF saisons are 20-30 IBUs but still get a decent amount of tartness?
100% strain dependent. Plantarum dies at 5 ibu, brevis gets up in the 30s. Jeff Mellow at Bootleg Biology has a fast souring Pedio that apparently can take a shit ton of hops.

It also depends on the hops used, because it's the alpha acids that are the main killer.

-_________-

100% strain dependent. Plantarum dies at 5 ibu, brevis gets up in the 30s. Jeff Mellow at Bootleg Biology has a fast souring Pedio that apparently can take a shit ton of hops.

It also depends on the hops used, because it's the alpha acids that are the main killer.
Is it just the alpha acids or hop oils in general ? I've had beers where the only additions were big FO and/or whirlpool additions, they saw very little LAB production. whenever that happens, I go with JP dregs and end up all right.

drgarage

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Contributor
Is it just the alpha acids or hop oils in general ? I've had beers where the only additions were big FO and/or whirlpool additions, they saw very little LAB production. whenever that happens, I go with JP dregs and end up all right.
Alpha acids or isoalpha acids? Makes a big difference, and there are plenty of alpha acids from flameout additions, they just don't isomerize into isoalphas.

Alpha acids or isoalpha acids? Makes a big difference, and there are plenty of alpha acids from flameout additions, they just don't isomerize into isoalphas.
Question is really, is it just isoalphas or alpha, myrcene, humulene etc. that get extracted at lower temps throughout the cooling process?

Threw these in a starter last night and will be an Anna-ish beer on Sunday!

Left carboy is "clean" saison yeast.

Right carboy is the C2C Omega blend with dregs from a bottle of HF Anna.

Color difference is very interesting. Not sure what the cause is really. Both were same exact color on day one. Any idea what can cause wort to darken? I'm still a bit of a fermentation noob.

Recipe if you don't mind!
10 gal Recipe expected OG 1.06 FG 1.01 - 1.015 ABV is 6ish

16 # Pilsner malt
4 # American wheat
1 # flaked oat
1 # honey malt
1 # corn sugar (which we forgot to add, but we did add 1 lb of light DME to boost the gravity a bit since we are working out the kinks of our new mash tun)

Mashed @ 148 for 90 min

90 min boil

2 oz Saaz @t 90 (AA @ 3-5 %)
2 oz Saaz @ 45
Dextrose @ 10 (which we forgot to add)
2 oz Citra @ 5 min (AA 11- 15 %)

5 gal got C2C Omega blend and direct pitch of dregs from a bottle of HF Anna after aerating.

5 gal got a "clean" farmhouse yeast (not sure what it was exactly, Vogt52 was the one who bought it. I got the C2C)

Last edited:
10 gal Recipe expected OG 1.06 FG 1.01 - 1.015 ABV is 6ish

16 # Pilsner malt
4 # American wheat
1 # flaked oat
1 # honey malt
1 # corn sugar (which we forgot to add, but we did add 1 lb of light DME to boost the gravity a bit since we are working out the kinks of our new mash tun)

Mashed @ 148 for 90 min

90 min boil

2 oz Saaz @t 90 (AA @ 3-5 %)
2 oz Saaz @ 45
Dextrose @ 10 (which we forgot to add)
2 oz Citra @ 5 min (AA 11- 15 %)

5 gal got C2C Omega blend and direct pitch of dregs from a bottle of HF Anna after aerating.

5 gal got a "clean" farmhouse yeast (not sure what it was exactly, Vogt52 was the one who bought it. I got the C2C)

The clean yeast was French Saison by wyeast.

Anyone want to compare Weiner sizes? I can send you a few bottles of mine and you can figure out if you want to send yours 3-12 months from now.

I fermented C2C at 68 degrees

Latest posts