Hill Farmstead Saison

Help Support Talkbeer:

Color difference is very interesting. Not sure what the cause is really. Both were same exact color on day one. Any idea what can cause wort to darken? I'm still a bit of a fermentation noob.
Looks like there is more yeast in suspension with the sacch. And different yeast seem to flocc differently. I've brewed up a barrel of the same wort and treated each one with different yeast. Not a one look the same.

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=
Sampling the extract saison I made pitching TYB 184 alongside WLP565 (belgian saison 1). Went from 1.063 to 1.014 in 21 days. I'm pretty bad at picking up nuances in flavor but I can say that it's slightly tart and sweet. A lot of sulfur aroma is present but it's still young, it seems to happen with all of my brett beers and goes away after 3 months or so.

Maybe I'm late to the game but was under the impression that Shaun spiked all this beers with champagne yeast to deter people from using his house strain. I recall this was right around the time of the whole fight with SARA bc they "borrowed" his house strain (then Shaun and Adair made nice). So any HF beer sometime around mid-2013 would have champagne yeast in it (or at least it used to as I recall a conversation I had with Shaun about it).

So I would think by using HF dregs post 2013 you're not really getting much from them.

drgarage

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Contributor
primary of course. outside of something like fruiting there is practically no reason to secondary
Other scenario would be to get off spent hop matter in a beer that's being aged for an extended period. Things can get pretty damned vegetal otherwise...

Other scenario would be to get off spent hop matter in a beer that's being aged for an extended period. Things can get pretty damned vegetal otherwise...
Hmm. I don't think this is a concern here (especially for this style). I've aged wild ales in primary for damn near two years. It's not like your dry hopping and then extended aging...right...?

Anyone package/taste their C2C brews? Debating how long to let mine go before kegging.

Last edited:

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=
Sampling the extract saison I made pitching TYB 184 alongside WLP565 (belgian saison 1). Went from 1.063 to 1.014 in 21 days. I'm pretty bad at picking up nuances in flavor but I can say that it's slightly tart and sweet. A lot of sulfur aroma is present but it's still young, it seems to happen with all of my brett beers and goes away after 3 months or so.
Bottled this tonight, it's down to 1.010 and pretty tasty. Sulfur is gone as expected, tartness is more subdued.

Latest posts