HoD clone.....

Help Support Talkbeer:

Probably better off calling it a Black Agnes "clone". I'm pretty convinced there'd be no way to recreate Heart of Darkness without having access to the Schramm estate fruit, which obviously no one does.
I don't care what you call it. I would love to (try to) re-create either one!

Not enough fruit, Schramm's doesn't use juice, concentrate or pits. You will need about 12 pounds of real fresh fruit per gallon of mead, most likely 4 lbs of honey per gallon of spring water.

I used 33 lbs of fruit, red raspberries, black currants and balaton cherries for a THREE gallon batch. It's missing the schaerbeek cherriness if that's even a word, but balaton's are close, this came close, a little heavy on the raspberry and that was the least amount of fruit that I used, maybe 6 lbs, but you can ask abawol01, it's pretty solid, and you can still taste honey, which I think gets lost in HoD.

Not enough fruit, Schramm's doesn't use juice, concentrate or pits. You will need about 12 pounds of real fresh fruit per gallon of mead, most likely 4 lbs of honey per gallon of spring water.

I used 33 lbs of fruit, red raspberries, black currants and balaton cherries for a THREE gallon batch. It's missing the schaerbeek cherriness if that's even a word, but balaton's are close, this came close, a little heavy on the raspberry and that was the least amount of fruit that I used, maybe 6 lbs, but you can ask abawol01, it's pretty solid, and you can still taste honey, which I think gets lost in HoD.

ISO!

Do you slice/mash the fruit to open them up or just toss them in whole?

ISO: this mead.

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=

Holy fuck dude.

ISO. Sounds incredible!

BadJustin

Staff member
Contributor

bigk84 how did your mead turn out? Looks fantastic. Drop me a direct message if you can, would love to pick your brain about it

bigk84 how did your mead turn out? Looks fantastic. Drop me a direct message if you can, would love to pick your brain about it
Came out very nice, but it was significantly dryer than HoD, next batch I would use more honey and change my nutrient schedule. It is still an extremely fruit forward mead, I cracked one the other day and I would brew it again as is too. PM me anytime, I'm rarely on here but happy to chat about homebrew/mead/beer etc.

Group Builder