Holy Mountain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libbey

Reaction score
Holy_Mountain_logo-300x300.jpg

HolyMtn you guy's want to field some questions for the people?

What's the story behind the breweries name?

Absolutely! Ask away. My name is Colin, and I'm one of the owners and in charge of brewing operations here at HM.

Holy Mountain was a name the three of us came up with after having some trademark issues with a previous name. A friend of mine and I had discussed brewing a beer for quite a while called Holy Mountain. It was to be the biggest and most bad ass offering from the brewery we both dreamed about starting. We were all over at his house one night having a pity party over our trademark issues, drinking and listening to a bunch of Doom and Stoner metal, when we all kind of looked at each other and we knew. Our logo soon followed, and Holy Mountain came to be.

Can you tell us about your Kentucky Common? Inspiration for? (do you just like the style and wanted to get more out there?). How sour is yours?

Can you tell us about your Kentucky Common? Inspiration for? (do you just like the style and wanted to get more out there?). How sour is yours?

It's actually a Cal Common fermented in Rye barrels. We have a Kentucky Common on our radar for sure!

The Watchmen's House turned out great with a nice balance of barrel character to it. The recipe was bumped up a couple points in gravity. Northern Brewer hops were bumped as well. It went through it's entire fermentation in the barrel with a Cal lager strain of yeast. We waited until we saw a cold snap in the weather, shut the heat off to the front part of the brewery, cooled into the barrels and let it go. I made some thermowells to monitor temp during fermentation, and hit 58 at high krausen, which is exactly where we wanted to be for this on. After fermentation, barrels were pushed into our cooler to let the yeast drop out a bit, then moved into stainless and lagered at 32 for a few weeks.

Not this?

Any intent to bottle or can your beer, or are you sticking with draft only to start off with?

Absolutely. Initial bottling run starts up next week. We have been busy filling barrels since the brewery was operational, and those beers will be conditioned in their proper form. Limited draft on those in the tap room and around town from time to time. Lots and lots of bottles.

HolyMtn any info on the Third Nail?

The Third Nail is getting released on draught an in 750ml bottles today at 11am at The Pine Box. They approached us late last year and asked us to brew their anniversary beer, which was awesome as we are huge fans of theirs. It is a belgian pale ale with american hops. We got some awesome white wine barrels out of napa and aged it in those with brett for about three months, then dry hopped it in the barrel. The draught and bottle blends are very different - the bottle blend had a barrel included which was primary fermented in a neutral barrel which became very acidic, and we bottle conditioned with a house brett strain. The draught blend is awesome now and the bottle was designed to age out very nicely, probably starting to hit its peak in a month or two. We'll also have bottles and draught available at the taproom starting Thursday 3/26.

There's a lengthy post here:
http://blog.holymountainbrewing.com/post/114058338254/the-third-nail

HolyMtn The release for 3rd Nail is Thursday at 3 correct? I'll definitely be there regardless but what are the bottle limits? Also, when should we see more bottled offerings from you guys?

Also, any thoughts on doing a small, local Reserve Society sort of thing (like De Garde) or just local unannounced releases for those that stop in often? I'm looking forward to once you start bottling your single barrel offerings we previously spoke about like the Upright Sole Comp series...if that is still part of future plan?

Yep, on track for the Third Nail release.

We have stuff in bottles right now. No plans for a club right now, but we'll look at that more closely down the road when things start to come out of barrels more frequently. We do have plans for tap room only releases, so keep your eyes and ears open...

paysse Currently sitting on a bottle of the goat from the first mini release. How different are the brett profiles between that and the upcoming wider release? Did they get bottled at the same time and one came to maturation quicker or did you bottle the first small run earlier? Partially asking because I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and drink my current bottle now or if it would be a fun thing to taste it and the upcoming release at the same time to compare the two.

paysse Currently sitting on a bottle of the goat from the first mini release. How different are the brett profiles between that and the upcoming wider release? Did they get bottled at the same time and one came to maturation quicker or did you bottle the first small run earlier? Partially asking because I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and drink my current bottle now or if it would be a fun thing to taste it and the upcoming release at the same time to compare the two.

The brett profiles of the two are pretty different. I get a lot more funk on the limited/kraft label bottle release - blue cheese, hay, etc. The new release is fruitier - grape aspects in the white wine vein, pear, etc. People who have had both have preferred the new release unanimously, but I really like the funk of the other bottles too. They were bottled separately, those silent Goat and Ox releases were actually test bottling to dial in carbonation levels, but we had 5 cases of each just sitting around and we didn't want them to go to waste. The full release of The Goat was bottled in mid February, I think the test was maybe 2-3 weeks earlier. Tasting them side by side might be a lot of fun, I don't know that even we did that. Definitely an awesome example of how bottle conditioning with brett has a dramatic impact on the final flavor profile.

Hey paysse I just wanted to give you and Colin props on Barrel Aged River of Ash. That beer is seriously awesome. The mix of wine and bourbon barrels gave it some rad aromas. Might have replaced Watchmens House as my favorite HM beer. Thanks for doing what you do!

Hey paysse I just wanted to give you and Colin props on Barrel Aged River of Ash. That beer is seriously awesome. The mix of wine and bourbon barrels gave it some rad aromas. Might have replaced Watchmens House as my favorite HM beer. Thanks for doing what you do!
Thanks a ton, dude. Really glad to hear you like it.

Absolutely! Ask away. My name is Colin, and I'm one of the owners and in charge of brewing operations here at HM.

Holy Mountain was a name the three of us came up with after having some trademark issues with a previous name. A friend of mine and I had discussed brewing a beer for quite a while called Holy Mountain. It was to be the biggest and most bad ass offering from the brewery we both dreamed about starting. We were all over at his house one night having a pity party over our trademark issues, drinking and listening to a bunch of Doom and Stoner metal, when we all kind of looked at each other and we knew. Our logo soon followed, and Holy Mountain came to be.

I was hoping the brewery was named after the 1973 Alejandro Jodorowsky film of the same name.

Me too. I straight out assumed it was. Lost count of the amount of references I've seen here and there to that movie.

What is the likelihood your colab with Monkish is a pilsner? HolyMtn

We brewed two beers when we were down in LA last week....not pilsners though. We've got some pretty awesome lagers coming out over the next few months, including a collaboration that's happening soon we're very excited about.

Back