Homebrew "Foeder"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They seem awfully porous and are new barrels, so I wouldn't waste your time or money on one. Seeing as kombucha has an acetic acid character to it, that makes sense. Try asking around at local homebrewing groups to see if anyone has a spent 5 gallon barrel that they want to sell you, like TRASH, TRUB, or WAZE. Even some breweries have smaller volume barrelage that they'd be willing to sell or give to you.

They seem awfully porous and are new barrels, so I wouldn't waste your time or money on one. Seeing as kombucha has an acetic acid character to it, that makes sense. Try asking around at local homebrewing groups to see if anyone has a spent 5 gallon barrel that they want to sell you, like TRASH, TRUB, or WAZE. Even some breweries have smaller volume barrelage that they'd be willing to sell or give to you.

Yeah, the lid for those seem suspect for aging beer, but I think the layout of that barrel would be easier to work with for cleaning. Thanks

Yeah, the lid for those seem suspect for aging beer, but I think the layout of that barrel would be easier to work with for cleaning. Thanks

Cleaning barrels isn't that terribly difficult. Especially if you're only aging in them, i.e. not actively fermenting in them. Hot water and a good shake is really all you need. At worst, you'll need to wash it out a couple times before the water comes out clear and then you can refill. Obviously larger volume barrels are more difficult, but, even then, you don't need a steamer to get the job done.

Cleaning barrels isn't that terribly difficult. Especially if you're only aging in them, i.e. not actively fermenting in them. Hot water and a good shake is really all you need. At worst, you'll need to wash it out a couple times before the water comes out clear and then you can refill. Obviously larger volume barrels are more difficult, but, even then, you don't need a steamer to get the job done.

I have a small 5g oak barrel that I've used a few times and it's a pain to clean because of the small bung and it's hard to tell if it's clean at all. Aging has worked great, however, so maybe it's a non-issue as long as you keep cycling beer in/out.

I have a small 5g oak barrel that I've used a few times and it's a pain to clean because of the small bung and it's hard to tell if it's clean at all. Aging has worked great, however, so maybe it's a non-issue as long as you keep cycling beer in/out.

You have one of these?

Yeah, that bung is a pain in the ass, but it should still come clean pretty easily unless you're putting oreos or cheesecake or some other ridiculous ******** in there.

Right now it's full of a sour ale that had been aging on nectarines so there is a bit of pulp still in there. Not looking forward to cleaning this one up.

Right now it's full of a sour ale that had been aging on nectarines so there is a bit of pulp still in there. Not looking forward to cleaning this one up.

FWIW, using juice or juicing the fruit that you are going to use will help you with this. Lots of people see this as sacrilege, but I find the results to be no different than using whole fruit or puree.

Back