Honeymooning in Australia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesM631

Reaction score
Australian TB'ers. My future wife and I will be visiting Australia 24th July to 5th August. We're planning on hitting Melbourne, Uluru, Cairns and Sydney.

Are there any must hit craft beer bars/breweries in those locations? What beer should I be drinking? Lastly, if any of you TB'ers are around and want to grab a pint, it would be fantastic.

Melbourne breweries:

Two birds - straight forward beer but always something interesting on at their brewery which is near a train station.

Mountain Goat - open twice a week. Again, always something interesting on. Like two birds their beers are far better on site (they contract packaged stuff). It's near Slowbeer which is a great bottle shop with 4 rotating taps.

Moondog - inconsistent as **** but it's kind of their thing. They brew ridiculous **** but have a really good sense of humour and their tap room is a fun place.

Boatrocker - probably the most legit tap room in melb. Farrrrr out tho. Train then 40 min walk or bike. They are likely to have a still "lambic", whisky or bourbon aged imp stouts, berliners, etc on. Especially when you're there, as they are about to go ham on their Barrel releases (last year that also included a 9% brett saison).

Temple - pretty consistently enjoyable. Same realm as Two Birds and Mountain Goat except their IIPA is my favourite in Australia. On par with any WC IPA I've had. It's also round the corner from the Alehouse Project which has 16 rotating taps and regular takeovers and one off beer fests.

3 Ravens - Hard to get to (not as bad as Boatrocker) but the brewer has been there long enough to start getting his barrels and soured stuff out now. They are about to take a step up I think. Open a couple of days a week. It's also nearby Carwyn Cellars who have 20 rotating taps, legit whisky/mezcal etc and may even have their brewery running by then.

A couple more breweries but further out so I own I include them. I'll do bars another day.

Will be up for a beer or two as well. I'll let one of the sydney peeps do their stuff.

Sydney--- much better beers than Melbourne and better beaches. Be prepared for questions regarding your favorite AFL team in Melbourne.
Melbourne produces NFL caliber punters, Sydney produces 2nd string RB's. Take what you want out of that.
Breweries:
Batch in Marrickville: wildly inconsistent. A few of the single hop IPA's can be really good. others really bad.
Young Henrys in Newtown: Good vibe, awful beer. Better off drinking the canned product from brewpack at Dan Murphy's.
Grifter: Nothing that makes you go wow! I will be back.
Akasha brewing in Five Dock: Pretty consistent beers. Has some hops. Cool as heck brewer and really nice guy.
Red Oak in the CBD: Sydney institution really. Highly expensive beers but can make some good stuff.
Modus Operandi: Currently in the top 3 of best brewpubs to visit in all of OZ, In Mona Vale. Ex Oskar Blues brewer and can make a US style IPA. Once you try Temple and then Modus you will know what I mean. 2 blocks from the beach is good as well.

Pubs:
Royal Albert in Surry Hills: Focuses on OZ beers mostly. Some good and some bad. Gets good stuff.
Wayward Brewing in Camperdown: Nearly 30 taps now. Some Waywards and some guest taps. Cool theme and generally good beers on tap.
Local taphouse Darlinghurst: Generally a good taplist but expensive. Some cool events as well there.

Will do this differently and list what beers to buy if you can find:
BoatRocker Ramjet: poor man's BCS. Whisky barrel RIS. Really solid beer. Other stuff from Boatrocker is hit or miss.
Pirate Life DIPA: if you like hops this is what you want. Closest thing to a US WC DIPA in OZ.
Feral watermelon Warhead: Currently just on tap only. Excellent for the style of a BW. Not barleywine.
Modus operandi Former Tenant: Seriously good Red IPA.
Mornington Peninsula RIS: Very solid beer and easily available.
Feral Hop Hog: More a pale ale but pretty benchmark for what it is.
Little Creatures pale ale: Sierra Nevada of OZ for pale ales.

Be prepared to Pony up for beers out here. Be prepared for a lot of not so hoppy beers out here. If you like hops just stick with Pirate Life, Modus, Feral, and Kiwi IPA's. Beer scene in OZ is very parochial. Maybe it is the relative isolation to the rest of the world. A long way to go to catch up the Northern Hemisphere. Be wary of tap beers as peeps pull kegs off all the time and not a lot of brewers bottle date yet. OZ makes really good porters, stouts and brown ales.

Always willing to meet up for a beer in Sydney or have a tasting here in Sydney.

Melbourne breweries:

Two birds - straight forward beer but always something interesting on at their brewery which is near a train station.

Mountain Goat - open twice a week. Again, always something interesting on. Like two birds their beers are far better on site (they contract packaged stuff). It's near Slowbeer which is a great bottle shop with 4 rotating taps.

Moondog - inconsistent as **** but it's kind of their thing. They brew ridiculous **** but have a really good sense of humour and their tap room is a fun place.

Boatrocker - probably the most legit tap room in melb. Farrrrr out tho. Train then 40 min walk or bike. They are likely to have a still "lambic", whisky or bourbon aged imp stouts, berliners, etc on. Especially when you're there, as they are about to go ham on their Barrel releases (last year that also included a 9% brett saison).

Temple - pretty consistently enjoyable. Same realm as Two Birds and Mountain Goat except their IIPA is my favourite in Australia. On par with any WC IPA I've had. It's also round the corner from the Alehouse Project which has 16 rotating taps and regular takeovers and one off beer fests.

3 Ravens - Hard to get to (not as bad as Boatrocker) but the brewer has been there long enough to start getting his barrels and soured stuff out now. They are about to take a step up I think. Open a couple of days a week. It's also nearby Carwyn Cellars who have 20 rotating taps, legit whisky/mezcal etc and may even have their brewery running by then.

A couple more breweries but further out so I own I include them. I'll do bars another day.

Will be up for a beer or two as well. I'll let one of the sydney peeps do their stuff.

Although I've been a grumpy, ingracious guest in the four months I've been here (mostly because I miss Cellarmaker and I'm also mildly allergic to beer now), I want to say that this is a kick-ass list. Wish this had been around when I first landed.

I'd tentatively add, for Melbourne:

- James Squire brewpub in CBD. If you like English style ales, they've got a decent list, and their One Fifty Lashes isn't bad.
- Forrester's Hall in Collingwood. Warehouse with a bunch of beers on tap. I think they have good food by reputation, but I ate at other places every time I went out there. The food in Fitzroy and Collingwood is ****ing spectacular.
- Catfish in Fitzroy. Solid beer list, though I wouldn't call it exceptional. Great cheese steaks (really).
- I like Mountain Goat actually.

Really happy no one recommended Four Pines in Manly. Maybe my co-worker just has awful taste in beer, but their metallic, malty **** was a waste of an afternoon. Avoid.

Although I've been a grumpy, ingracious guest in the four months I've been here (mostly because I miss Cellarmaker and I'm also mildly allergic to beer now), I want to say that this is a kick-ass list. Wish this had been around when I first landed.

I'd tentatively add, for Melbourne:

- James Squire brewpub in CBD. If you like English style ales, they've got a decent list, and their One Fifty Lashes isn't bad.
- Forrester's Hall in Collingwood. Warehouse with a bunch of beers on tap. I think they have good food by reputation, but I ate at other places every time I went out there. The food in Fitzroy and Collingwood is ****ing spectacular.
- Catfish in Fitzroy. Solid beer list, though I wouldn't call it exceptional. Great cheese steaks (really).
- I like Mountain Goat actually.

Really happy no one recommended Four Pines in Manly. Maybe my co-worker just has awful taste in beer, but their metallic, malty **** was a waste of an afternoon. Avoid.
When are you back in Sydney?
Would be a blast to meet up.

When are you back in Sydney?
Would be a blast to meet up.

No plans to go there anytime soon. My company's in Melbourne. If I do travel through there again, I'll definitely drop you a note.

~~~

On the "eating my words" bit: Moo Brew Single Hop out of Tasmania is legit. Really good.

No plans to go there anytime soon. My company's in Melbourne. If I do travel through there again, I'll definitely drop you a note.

~~~

On the "eating my words" bit: Moo Brew Single Hop out of Tasmania is legit. Really good.

In the big can? I'm a massive fan of that. Went largely unnoticed.

Wow.................Come out here. Ask for some places to hit. Probably leave some Jackrabbits in Australia to mess up the ecosystem even more, Talk more about the Hayne Plane and then not even a good bye or a report on how Bitter Phew was.

Disappointed.

I totally forgot about this thread until I was trying to remember what I should be looking for.

We're finally here after a delayed/missed flight and catching up from the jet lag. We'll be out in Melbourne tonight and tomorrow then off to Cairns (Sydney after that).

Thanks again, this will come in handy!

I totally forgot about this thread until I was trying to remember what I should be looking for.

We're finally here after a delayed/missed flight and catching up from the jet lag. We'll be out in Melbourne tonight and tomorrow then off to Cairns (Sydney after that).

Thanks again, this will come in handy!

If you need food or booze ideas for Melbourne tomorrow, I got plenty. Don't get caught eating bad food. Interesting food is what Melbourne does best.

If you need food or booze ideas for Melbourne tomorrow, I got plenty. Don't get caught eating bad food. Interesting food is what Melbourne does best.

Suggestions? We're staying in Southbank. We hit up Ludow Bar Soutbank for the $20 steak. It was decent.

I noticed there is tons of Asian food here.

Suggestions? We're staying in Southbank. We hit up Ludow Bar Soutbank for the $20 steak. It was decent.

I noticed there is tons of Asian food here.

Around cbd it's hard to go past Chin Chin. It's always super busy, and doesn't take bookings but it's very worth it. Just brace yourself for a queue. That'd honestly be my top pick if you want Asian food (without getting into specific styles/dishes, and traversing the city).

Or Bomba bar (tapas). Their lunch deal is amazing. Get the pork jowl.

Also consider Embla (natural wine, casual), Movida Next Door (tapas, exceptional), Tipo 00 (Italian, best service but not wanky), Mamak (cheap, low key Malaysian), and Dainty Sichuan (cheap, low key, Sichuan).

All of those you can get in without a booking. There may be a wait but ask them where the nearest good cocktail is and they'll usually call when a table is ready.

Those are the top picks for me in the cbd. If you want specific cuisine, at a particular price and don't mind a train/tram/uber I have a ton more. The one down side is that food and booze in Aus may seem $$$.

But if you commit to either Chin Chin or Bomba then you'll be happy.

Also in CBD; Dukes for coffee in the morning (Flinders Lane). It's worth the walk. Sun Moth Canteen for casual drinks/snacks/recharge your phone (they have USB plugs, good beer, good coffee, good wine).

Whiskey and Alement for a night cap.

If you feel like a tram, the 86 takes you down Gertrude St and Smith St and past a ridiculous amount of beer, food and wine. If we are at a loose end we'll normally end up wandering along that tram route trying new places. Too many highlights to name.

#1 recommendation right now is Clever Polly's. It'll cost a bit (maybe... 200+) but let them take care of food and drink and they'll blow your mind. Also no bookings. It's in North Melbourne so a tram or uber is needed.

Hope that helps!

Around cbd it's hard to go past Chin Chin. It's always super busy, and doesn't take bookings but it's very worth it. Just brace yourself for a queue. That'd honestly be my top pick if you want Asian food (without getting into specific styles/dishes, and traversing the city).

Or Bomba bar (tapas). Their lunch deal is amazing. Get the pork jowl.

Also consider Embla (natural wine, casual), Movida Next Door (tapas, exceptional), Tipo 00 (Italian, best service but not wanky), Mamak (cheap, low key Malaysian), and Dainty Sichuan (cheap, low key, Sichuan).

All of those you can get in without a booking. There may be a wait but ask them where the nearest good cocktail is and they'll usually call when a table is ready.

Those are the top picks for me in the cbd. If you want specific cuisine, at a particular price and don't mind a train/tram/uber I have a ton more. The one down side is that food and booze in Aus may seem $$$.

But if you commit to either Chin Chin or Bomba then you'll be happy.

Also in CBD; Dukes for coffee in the morning (Flinders Lane). It's worth the walk. Sun Moth Canteen for casual drinks/snacks/recharge your phone (they have USB plugs, good beer, good coffee, good wine).

Whiskey and Alement for a night cap.

If you feel like a tram, the 86 takes you down Gertrude St and Smith St and past a ridiculous amount of beer, food and wine. If we are at a loose end we'll normally end up wandering along that tram route trying new places. Too many highlights to name.

#1 recommendation right now is Clever Polly's. It'll cost a bit (maybe... 200+) but let them take care of food and drink and they'll blow your mind. Also no bookings. It's in North Melbourne so a tram or uber is needed.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I'll let the Wife know.

My parents are in Sydney right now and will be all over Australia the next month. They’ll be up in Townsville and Cairns visiting some family we stayed with 30 years ago and also going to Melbourne and Adelaide.

I’ve told them to hit Wildflower and they’re actually walking there right now, but have things changed much since the initial posts here? What’s new? What’s the same?

Wildflower is worth visiting, limited hours so hope they made it there. Sydney has a lot of new breweries but not many I'd recommend.

There's certainly more bad to ordinary beer than ever before. Everyone seems to be doing a NEIPA and while you'd think it's a numbers game and that some would actually be alright, China has a billion people riding bikes but has never won the Tour de France.

For a bottle shop in Melbourne, if they have a car would recommend Nillumbik Cellars. Otherwise if without, Purvis Cellars in Balwyn/Surrey Hills. Carwyn doubles as bar and bottle shop and also accessible without a car.

Boatrocker is one of the better Victorian breweries but very expensive, especially when it could be a miss and not a hit. Also difficult to access via public transport.

Wildflower is worth visiting, limited hours so hope they made it there. Sydney has a lot of new breweries but not many I'd recommend.

There's certainly more bad to ordinary beer than ever before. Everyone seems to be doing a NEIPA and while you'd think it's a numbers game and that some would actually be alright, China has a billion people riding bikes but has never won the Tour de France.

For a bottle shop in Melbourne, if they have a car would recommend Nillumbik Cellars. Otherwise if without, Purvis Cellars in Balwyn/Surrey Hills. Carwyn doubles as bar and bottle shop and also accessible without a car.

Boatrocker is one of the better Victorian breweries but very expensive, especially when it could be a miss and not a hit. Also difficult to access via public transport.

They had a great time at Wildflower on Saturday. I guess Adam from Floodland will be coming in March.

Back