Quantcast

Horror Movies

Help Support Talkbeer:

Watched the 1st evil dead tonight by myself, got dat vhs. I think she won't catch on to what's happening in that scene, it isn't too visually explicit. I think I could pass it off as 'just holding her down'. It may be the perfect series for her.

We had already watched monster squad. She didn't ask about the pedophile teacher jokes in the first 10 minutes, it but I cringed at the prospect.

Got me thinking of classic gore stuff. Does night of living dead etc have much sexuality in them? Nudity isn't really a big deal if not in a sexual context. She has a brother.
The original Romero trilogy should be good. I didn't mention them above due to the bare zombie ass in Night and a breast in Dawn. Neither are in a sexual context.

After I posted Monster Squad, I started to remember how problematic it has become over the years. I remember teachers allowing us to watch it in school in the late 80s early 90s.

Coming up with movies that seem appropriate has been difficult for me. I was given free reign at the video store growing up, so I watched all kinds of fucked up stuff. Think Last House on the Left and other 70s and 80s craziness and trash cinema.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (74) and Suspiria may match the criteria.

Some new horror movie musings:

-New Halloween was a bit of a letdown. Some solid nods to the first throughout the movie, but just fell kinda flat to me with so much of the original team back.
-Mandy was incredibly psychadelic and Johansson's score was fucking legit, but the actual movie sucked balls.
-The Witch in the Window was surprisingly good. A deviation from the new school horrors out lately, but some solid jump scares and thought the pacing was really effective.
-Hereditary is still the best horror movie made this year
-Finally started watching Channel Zero, can't believe it took me this long to find it. Really creepy show.

Still have a bunch I need to bang out over the next couple of days, haven't had a chance to watch The Haunting of Hill House series, Slice, Suspiria, or Revenge, but plan to get all them all done by next weekend. Hope everyone is enjoying their Octobers.

Some new horror movie musings:

-New Halloween was a bit of a letdown. Some solid nods to the first throughout the movie, but just fell kinda flat to me with so much of the original team back.
-Mandy was incredibly psychadelic and Johansson's score was fucking legit, but the actual movie sucked balls.
-The Witch in the Window was surprisingly good. A deviation from the new school horrors out lately, but some solid jump scares and thought the pacing was really effective.
-Hereditary is still the best horror movie made this year
-Finally started watching Channel Zero, can't believe it took me this long to find it. Really creepy show.

Still have a bunch I need to bang out over the next couple of days, haven't had a chance to watch The Haunting of Hill House series, Slice, Suspiria, or Revenge, but plan to get all them all done by next weekend. Hope everyone is enjoying their Octobers.
You need to get watching Hill House. Really good.

Not saying much, but the new Halloween is the best of the series since part 2. (and I love drunk Tom Atkins running around pounding road sodas in part 3.) Enjoyed it, but felt it kind of fell apart leading up to the final act.

Suspiria '78 > Suspiria 2018. Goblin > Thom Yorke. I can go on and on.

8 episodes into Hill House. I am usually not much for haunted house/ghost stories, but this one is well done and has some really well done jump scares.

Anyone watching the new season of Channel Zero? Loved the first three seasons but wife won't watch scary stuff unless it's light out and DST kinda ruined that.

Year 5

Who has some new suggestions for me? Right now my list is lacking, I have Hagazussa, That House That Jack Built, Bliss, and Nightmare Cinema on the agenda though.
The Void, Fathers Day, Dead Alive, Annihilation (sci-fi horror), Society, Basket Case, Santa Sangre, The Boxers Omen, Street Trash, Hobo With A Shotgun. Just a few favorites, I think I mentioned Street Trash and The Reflecting Skin the other day, both are pretty weird.

Going to try to watch as many horror flicks as possible this month. The goal will be at least 31. Will try to focus on movies I haven't seen yet with a few exceptions here and there.

Some of my annual faves were screened recently at my local Alamo Drafthouse, so they won't be revisited this month. (Return of the Living Dead, Phantasm, Halloween, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Exorcist, and Audition)

1) Revenge (2017)
More of a action/thriller, but plenty of horrific gory moments sprinkled in.

An article I read after watching this called it a rape/revenge take down of the male gaze. I knew what I was getting into beforehand, but it was still a rough watch.

Here are a few other notes I took....spoiler tag just in case.
Dead Bodies - 3
Moroccan Desert Chase
Multiple Gunshot Wounds Including Multiple Headshots
Tree Trauma
Eye Trauma
Bottom of Foot Trauma
Ear Trauma
Peyote Trip Wound Cauterization
Gratuitous Cock Out Shotgun Fight (Between this and Midsommar, swinging dicks are definitely "in" in horror)

2. One Cut of the Dead (2017 but just now seeing U.S. release)
This one was fun. Super low budget. I am glad I went in mostly blind, so I won't say much else here.

3. Ice Cream Man (1995)
A kid power horror flick. Think Stranger Things, but set in the 90s. And instead of Demogorgans, the kids ride bikes and fight Clint Howard.

I haven't seen this since the late 90s on TNT's Monstervision. Vinegar Syndrome's blu-ray release looks way better than it has any right to.
Dead Bodies: 9 (most were off screen, so who knows)
Dead Animals: 1
Idyllic 1950s Gangland Machine Gun Driveby of Neighborhood Ice Cream Man
Multiple Syringes to the Head
A Fake Fat Kid Named Tuna (seriously they stuffed his shirts with paper or something)
Push-Up Pop Switchblade
Melonballer to an Eyeball
Rocky Road with Eyeball
Clint Howard Calling a Child a "Little Turd"
Waffle Iron to the Face
Comically Sized Waffle ConeMade to Hold Severed Head
Severed Heads Puppet Show
Weird Pied Piper Subtext
Most Embarassing Thing to Happen to David Naughton Since 70's Disco Hit Makin It

Watching horror films this week while wife is away at work.
Conjuring- I was spooked. Well done
Autopsy of Jane doe- entertaining but not spooked.

I'm sticking to things on Netflix and Amazon prime if anybody has recs

Latest posts