How long is too long for a pkg sitting in US customs?

Help Support Talkbeer:

My first international trade and incoming tracking provides the following update:

12/01/2016 13:47 Retained at customs : reason unknown USJFKA United States

What's the longest someone has seen their package sit in customs before its been released? Does the shipper/receiver ever get notified if something is amiss? Would they return the package to Europe/sender?

thanks

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Never more than a couple of days and that was over Christmas. Most of my trades sail through JFK.

Which courier was it sent with?

There's only one thing to be worried about. When it says "outbound of customs, leaving international depot" because that means it's being sent back overseas. Had that happen to me once because homeboy listed the beers out individually on the packing slip outside the box.

There's only one thing to be worried about. When it says "outbound of customs, leaving international depot" because that means it's being sent back overseas. Had that happen to me once because homeboy listed the beers out individually on the packing slip outside the box.
Still "Inbound into Customs". But really, if it said outbound, I'd be okay just to know that there is still movement and it's still alive, even if it meant it's going back to Europe to come back here at some point....

My first international trade and incoming tracking provides the following update:

12/01/2016 13:47 Retained at customs : reason unknown USJFKA United States

What's the longest someone has seen their package sit in customs before its been released? Does the shipper/receiver ever get notified if something is amiss? Would they return the package to Europe/sender?

thanks
Whats it say now ? I'm guessing you used BPost tracking # correct ? Saying its retained at Customs for reasons unknown is what BPost says when the package enters the US to be cleared by Customs. Idk why it says it like that, but it does and it's normal. I wouldnt worry about that.

IIRC packages i've had coming from Belgium spent like 48-72 hours in Customs in NYC then kept moving along. When did the box enter customs and whats the status of the package now ?

Also try and find out the USPS Tracking # for the package. I remember there being 2 seperate tracking and I had to ask the shipper specifically for the USPS one which is better for tracking

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Also try and find out the USPS Tracking # for the package. I remember there being 2 seperate tracking and I had to ask the shipper specifically for the USPS one which is better for tracking
That's a pain. EMS (Express Mail Service) partners' tracking IDs are supposed to automatically match to each other's systems.

That's a pain. EMS (Express Mail Service) partners' tracking IDs are supposed to automatically match to each other's systems.
I could be completely wrong. I work over night and my memory is complete shit. I just remember looking up a tracking # with BPost and it said some crazy shit like "Retained at Customs" then I looked it up in the USPS website and it said " Inbound to customs" then " Outbound from customs" or something to that effect. USPS also had better tracking updates time wise and accuracy.

Whats it say now ? I'm guessing you used BPost tracking # correct ? Saying its retained at Customs for reasons unknown is what BPost says when the package enters the US to be cleared by Customs. Idk why it says it like that, but it does and it's normal. I wouldnt worry about that.

IIRC packages i've had coming from Belgium spent like 48-72 hours in Customs in NYC then kept moving along. When did the box enter customs and whats the status of the package now ?

Also try and find out the USPS Tracking # for the package. I remember there being 2 separate tracking and I had to ask the shipper specifically for the USPS one which is better for tracking
This is from the USPS site. It's the most recent update. Matches the BPost tracking from above. They use the same tracking # as the BPost tracking. (obviously formatting)

DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM

Inbound Into Customs

Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
January 12, 2016 , 2:24 pm
Processed Through Sort Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
January 11, 2016 , 6:57 am
BRUSSELS EUROPEAN MAIL CENTRE, BELGIUM
January 11, 2016 , 6:46 am
BRUSSELS EUROPEAN MAIL CENTRE, BELGIUM
January 11, 2016 , 6:46 am
Acceptance
BELGIUM

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
I could be completely wrong. I work over night and my memory is complete shit. I just remember looking up a tracking # with BPost and it said some crazy shit like "Retained at Customs" then I looked it up in the USPS website and it said " Inbound to customs" then " Outbound from customs" or something to that effect. USPS also had better tracking updates time wise and accuracy.
Yeah the amount of info can and does vary between both agents. Generally you seem to get more info from USPS when the package is in the US and vice versa.

One weird thing is that when I look on the UK site (Parcelforce) I get the name of the person who signed for the package, regardless of which way the box is going. This is never displayed on the USPS site (that I've seen anyway) despite them obviously having the info.

NY Sort Facility has been extremely slow since the Holidays.

On the cigar forum I am a member of people are reporting up to three weeks before it goes from Processed Through Sort Facility to actually being out to delivery to their address. I have had a package sit in customs for 14 days and then just show up at my door.

I had 2 boxes leave belgium 11 days ago, one made it through customs and was on my doorstep in less than a week (usual timeframe). The second box hasn't updated since "Origin post is preparing shipment" 10 days ago. Is box #2 still in Belgium? Sitting in customs at JFK? Floating somewhere in the Atlantic!? No idea. Of course it was the one with the whalezbro that goes rogue.

NY Sort Facility has been extremely slow since the Holidays.

On the cigar forum I am a member of people are reporting up to three weeks before it goes from Processed Through Sort Facility to actually being out to delivery to their address. I have had a package sit in customs for 14 days and then just show up at my door.
I just hope that the storage(or whereever the package is sitting) for the NY Sort Facility, is indoors. That's all I ask.

I had one stuck for many months. BPOST and USPS considered it a loss. Then after 4 months of dead info, the box shows up in CT. I am in IL. Luckily for me the person who it was delivered to shipped it to me. I totally gave up on that box, and was so surprised when it arrived. You should be fine, I have had boxes stuck in customs through JFK many times, never had one not show up eventually.

Follow up to this...
14 days in NYC Customs
4 days in limbo until scanned by postal processing center in LI
3 days until arrival at my mailbox
3 Weeks from Customs arrival to my door
Package unopened and everything arrived safely.
Had the exact same results last week. Glad to hear yours arrived safely too! I imagine customs at JFK something similar to the DMV but once a month they all leave for lunch break and come back 3 weeks later.

i had a box from biab sit in customs for well over a month. it was long enough for when i made my next order, it arrived before the previous. but it eventually cleared, shipped, and arrived

Well iv been sitting here for....20 days now waiting on a package myself and iv had no usps update since 14th....in transit..inbound to customs....got to say iv been irratated ever since.

Latest posts