HPB Bottle Friends 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothingisreal

Reaction score
QSFeDF1.png

Anybody else a part of this? Mods, close if no one cares / this should remain in the LA/OC thread.
We can use this if it continues, to be a spot to plan tip touching and other stuff.

First Release, intro email
Bottle Friends is a culmination of over a year of thought, hammering out details, and wanting to best meet the needs and desires of our most loyal and dedicated customers and friends.

As we put the finishing touches on our Chinatown Brewery location, we are eager to finally unveil the details of Bottle Friends.

We will be releasing 10 included beers to members throughout 2018, 5 of them are guaranteed to be exclusive to members only. The first of the members only included beers, coming shortly, will be Science Sucks Apricots.

Science Sucks Apricots - Lambic Inspired Ale with Apricots - Our inspiration for this beer comes from a place of embracing the world of the unknown. ScienceSucks Apricots is a single barrel dive into lambic cultures. This beer was fermented solely from the dregs of Drie Fonteinen and Girardin Gueze bottles. Our brewer Grant was inspired by these beers and sought to explore a beer with those specific yeast and bacteria. We used a very simple base of Weyermann Pils , Rahr unmalted wheat, and aged Hallertau Mittlefruh hops. We then aged that beer for 10 months in French oak puncheon barrels. We felt this base beer was a perfect platform for apricots. We used See Canyon apricots that were dry farmed by Mike Cirone on the Central Coast of California. This single barrel produced around 110 gallons of Science Sucks with 250 pounds of fruit added to that barrel. We hope you enjoy! 5.4% abv.

We’re looking forward to a great year ahead of us and are excited to share our new space and new beers with all of you. Thank you for your continued support.

pS27P7J.jpg

Bottle Friends,

We have your 2nd Exclusive Bottle Friends Member release. Each member has one included bottle with their membership. This sale is to purchase a second bottle.

Beer Details:

Sun Soaked w/Cherries - We used French oak red wine barrels. Berliner weisse beers typically get their acidity from a bacteria, Lactobacillus, that thrive at temperatures above 100 degrees! So, we decide to let these critters go at it in barrels baking in our parking lot. After initial souring we added several other yeasts to finish up fermentation. Super zippy lemon and grapefruit with raw wood notes in the background. Simple, yet complex. Funky, yet super drinkable. We split a portion of the last batch and aged it further with Cherries! 3.2% abv.

Last edited:
Other info / Pick up window
Bottle Friends 2018 Pickup Windows
As a reminder because of our delays, Bottle Friends 2018 has been extended until 2/28/19. The quarterly pickup windows have been adjusted accordingly:

Releases before 5/31/18, Must be picked up by 6/30/18
Released from 6/1/18 - 8/31/18, Must be picked up by 9/30/18
Released from 9/1/18 - 11/30/18, Must be picked up by 12/31/18
Released from 12/1/18 - 2/28/19, Must be picked up by 3/31/19

Trustee
As a reminder, be sure to email us if you need to set a trustee for picking up your purchases for you.

Screw the haze, at the beer friends price of ~$15 a four pack, give me ALL the Hello, LA.

recent Hello, LA was on draft over the weekend when I was there and it was pretty awesome.
All of the beers I had over the weekend from em were great. the food wasn't that bad either.
Their new space makes me happy, bummed out I didn't go to the OG cause I wanted to go to Donut Friend before lol

recent Hello, LA was on draft over the weekend when I was there and it was pretty awesome.
All of the beers I had over the weekend from em were great. the food wasn't that bad either.
Their new space makes me happy, bummed out I didn't go to the OG cause I wanted to go to Donut Friend before lol
Town Pizza is the real gem on that block (other than the herm/HPB obviously). Mole pizza is life.

Went to herm for the first time since chinatown opened. Had a hello, la and it was great to enjoy it without a child jump roping next to my table.

Whoa I need that gato shirt, may have to make the drive down from the Bay to get sun soaked cause I won’t be out there next till late July. Good ol FYF cancelled and I have an Airbnb for a week with a “strict” cancellation policy lol

Whoa I need that gato shirt, may have to make the drive down from the Bay to get sun soaked cause I won’t be out there next till late July. Good ol FYF cancelled and I have an Airbnb for a week with a “strict” cancellation policy lol
Holla if you ever can't make it and need a proxy!

Member Crowler
Our next Member Crowler Monday will be the first Monday of June (June 4th). It will be a recent favorite of ours that did not get bottled this time around, On Leaves.

On Leaves is barrel fermented in neutral french Oak Puncheons with our house mixed culture on leaves (Camphor, Lemon Gum, Kafir Lime, and Mugwort). Citrusy, Foresty, Drinkable, and Complex. (5.4% abv).

The price will be 18$ for a 32 oz. crowler (after your Bottle Friends discount).

this beer was amazing when they had it on draft around the end of April.

anybody hitting Chinatown HPB this weekend? I may need an assist getting my stuff, I will be in LA later in July so no need to ship. The original pick up timeframe worked out before they pushed it back.

Any one try the pils collab with Creature Comforts?

DCLA had the barrel fermented one. I can report back on the stainless version in an hour or so.

sWlp6N3.jpg

Goodie Barrel

Reminds me of little bit of Sue which is a BA IPA. Nice mellow hoppiness. Much less than the other hoppy pilsners. Has that dry bite from the oak. Enjoyed the **** out of it.

Any one try the pils collab with Creature Comforts?

Forgot to follow up on this. Goodie pils was great. Definitely in the vein of Timbo/Danbo/Eddie in terms of being very hop forward. Not quite to Timbo levels where you would be forgiven for not knowing its a pilsner behind the curtain, but still very hoppy. Amazing that Barrel Goodie is the same beer just fermented in oak because it is so much more subdued. Almost makes me wonder if Goodie got a round of dry hopping that Barrel Goodie didn't.

Anyone know if HP sold out of their pilsner cans yesterday? Thinking about going there when they open if they still have some.

Back