Introducing CellarTracker.org (Beta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickytunadicky

Reaction score
While I haven't posted very much in this particular forum, I am fairly active elsewhere on the site (what up RTT and Burger Concoctions folks?) Some of you may know that I have an extensive cellar for which I have been actively developing software to manage.

I'm happy to announce that my homegrown cellar tracking web application is ready for beta testing.
If this is something you might be interested in, I'd love your help in finding bugs, and figuring out new features to add.

You can access it at http://cellartracker.org

My plan is to keep this site free of charge to all users for basic functionality.
Eventually I may add premium features, or ads, in order to help me pay for hosting costs.

Features Include:
Tracking of different types of cellars: Beer, Glassware, Wine, Spirits.
Import/Export from CSV (Comma Separated Value) files.
Picklist Functionality
Customizable Views
Customizable consume-by algorithyms
Sharing of Cellars with other users

Planned Features:
Email reminder notifications when consume-by dates have occurred
Barcode input

I look forward to your feedback!

Dig it a lot -- great performance. Best I've played with. Would love to be able to add a beer direct from the inventory views; gets hard to remember what I haven't added.

Dig it a lot -- great performance. Best I've played with. Would love to be able to add a beer direct from the inventory views; gets hard to remember what I haven't added.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to add a beer directly in that view, but if it helps, you can click "Cellars->New Beer" in the Pull Down menus to quickly get to the new beer page.

So... importing CSV. tells me import is successful and counts rows properly, but doesn't appear to actually load anything into the cellar.

EDIT: Data is making it in there somehow, because when I go to manually add a beer, I see all of my locations/etc. prepopulating the dropdowns.. The beers just don't show up.

So... importing CSV. tells me import is successful and counts rows properly, but doesn't appear to actually load anything into the cellar.

EDIT: Data is making it in there somehow, because when I go to manually add a beer, I see all of my locations/etc. prepopulating the dropdowns.. The beers just don't show up.
Email your import file to [email protected] and I'll trouble shoot from there.

Emailed you. Looks like I can upload to glassware just fine, with a file that looks like just my beer file. Very odd

We give a quick example without all of the available fields on that page under "CSV File Example". It's not a downloadable example, but you can copy and paste it into a file:

Here is an example of a CSV file with a header row and 3 entries. Note, the Cellar Style chosen here was "BJCP 2015".

"Brewery","Name","Vintage","Style","Size","Location","Purchased Date"
"Founders","Imperial Stout","2011","13F. Russian Imperial Stout","12 oz","Box 1","10/31/2011"
"Hair of the Dog","Fred","Batch 78","19C. American Barleywine","12 oz","Fridge","12/9/2010"
"Cantillon","Saint Lamvinus","2007","17F. Fruit Lambic","750 ml","Shelf 2","12/31/2007"

I've been using cellarHQ for a while now. Is it an improvement over that?

I haven't used CellarHQ very much, so it's hard for me to compare them.

I'd suggest trying to export your data from there, and import it into CellarTracker, to see if you like the features.

CellarHQ has been around for a while, and is fairly mature, whereas CellarTracker is still in Beta Testing, and may therefore be more buggy, so that's certainly a factor.

We would certainly be interested in hearing your opinions on new features.

what are the chances of updating the spirits side of the cellar(s)? currently there are only two brands available

what are the chances of updating the spirits side of the cellar(s)? currently there are only two brands available
It's a learning database. As spirits are added/imported by users the list will grow organically unless we are able to locate an existing spirits database we can import data from, of course.

now to just find the motivation to use it and keep it current

I treat it like untappd and throw things on a pick list when I pull them from the cellar, then it's just a quick audit of the fridge to see what didn't get drank before hitting deduct from cellar.

I treat it like untappd and throw things on a pick list when I pull them from the cellar, then it's just a quick audit of the fridge to see what didn't get drank before hitting deduct from cellar.
cursory glance, i like what im seeing. its just that im starting from scratch here...i have zero documentation of my cellar and the idea of manually loading everything is daunting

cursory glance, i like what im seeing. its just that im starting from scratch here...i have zero documentation of my cellar and the idea of manually loading everything is daunting

It's a web portal that can be accessed from multiple devices, invite a couple friends over and attack it. What we did for a friends cellar that is in the 5k bottle range.

Agreed with neorunner. Pay your help in drinking the stuff you find you don't want to be sitting on/entering

Signed up, got an email from wckg.net that went to my junk mail, been debating for the last 10 minutes to click the link, not sure if its from cellartracker, on work computer, feeling lucky...

Ok I finally signed up but someone explain to a barely functional drunk stoner how to get my google drive doc to magically do this for me.

Signed up, got an email from wckg.net that went to my junk mail, been debating for the last 10 minutes to click the link, not sure if its from cellartracker, on work computer, feeling lucky...

Yea that's my development site, it's safe to click, and let me see why it's doing that.

Edit: Just checked, and I had never reset that particular configuration item from when I promoted to production. Going forward the emails should be from cellartracker.org.

Thank you for letting me know about this problem.

Last edited:
Ok I finally signed up but someone explain to a barely functional drunk stoner how to get my google drive doc to magically do this for me.

Ok, it's not quite magically easy, but here's what you do:
This should probably be done from a computer, as I'm not quite sure how to do this with a mobile device.

A) Create a new Cellar in CellarTracker
A1. Open CellarTracker
A2. From the "My Cellars" page, Create a new cellar.
A3. From the "My Cellars" page, click the Import button for that cellar
A4. Leave this page open, so you can get back here for reference

B) Prepare your google spreadsheet
B1. Open your google spreadsheet.
B2. Make sure the very first row of your spreadsheet has keywords that match the Columns in the "CSV File Format" box on the CellarTracker import page. For example, you should probably have at least a "Brewery" column, and a "Name" column.

C) Export your google spreadsheet.
C1. From the pull down menus in the spreadsheet, click File->Download as->Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
C2. Save the file to your hard drive, and keep track of where you put it.

D) Import your file into CellarTracker
D1. Back on the CellarTracker Import page, click the "Browse..." button, and then select that file you just exported.
D2. Click the "Upload" button.

If everything went well, you should see some results come back that tells you how many rows were updated, and if there were any errors.

Edit: I'm adding this as a FAQ in the application, and I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make this process easier/more clear.

Last edited:
Ok, it's not quite magically easy, but here's what you do:
This should probably be done from a computer, as I'm not quite sure how to do this with a mobile device.

A) Create a new Cellar in CellarTracker
A1. Open CellarTracker
A2. From the "My Cellars" page, Create a new cellar.
A3. From the "My Cellars" page, click the Import button for that cellar
A4. Leave this page open, so you can get back here for reference

B) Prepare your google spreadsheet
B1. Open your google spreadsheet.
B2. Make sure the very first row of your spreadsheet has keywords that match the Columns in the "CSV File Format" box on the CellarTracker import page. For example, you should probably have at least a "Brewery" column, and a "Name" column.

C) Export your google spreadsheet.
C1. From the pull down menus in the spreadsheet, click File->Download as->Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
C2. Save the file to your hard drive, and keep track of where you put it.

D) Import your file into CellarTracker
D1. Back on the CellarTracker Import page, click the "Browse..." button, and then select that file you just exported.
D2. Click the "Upload" button.

If everything went well, you should see some results come back that tells you how many rows were updated, and if there were any errors.

Edit: I'm adding this as a FAQ in the application, and I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make this process easier/more clear.
Hahahahahahaha I am very high and that's a hell of a lot of words. I may just wait for our mead bang and let you have at it.

Holy **** that was a lot of words

Back