US - Midwest Iowa Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Green Tree doesn't have food. But it's located in a artsy "River Town" so there's specialty shops around the main street going through town. Mexican restaurant, Chocolate shop, winery, stuff like that. Winery is called Wide River.
LeClaire is about 20 minutes from downtown Davenport.

Bent River Moline has food, Rock Island does not. Bar food that's been fancied up. Pretty good, Portobello Fries are a favorite.

Front Street bar location has food, taproom does not. Food used to be quite good but I think they've changed chefs and recipes so I'm not sure now. It's located downtown Davenport so there's other food options.

Did some recon work yesterday at some spots I had forgotten to mention.

Rebellion Brew Haus is in Moline, about a half mile from Bent River. Usually around 20 taps of craft with a good mix from around the country plus upwards of 5 of their own beers. They brew an assortment of IPA's and stouts that I think are good. I've never had a beer of theirs that I didn't like. Great bourbon selection too. Just don't try the Malort. Their food is IMO very good. Mexican flair with street tacos, nachos with your choice of a variety of meats with chips or tater tots, Wisconsin worthy cheese curds, etc..

Baked Beer and Bread Company is located in Davenport in the Village of East Davenport, an area of local shops and bars. Yesterday they had 16 taps of mostly Midwest beers and 3 of their own. They brewed a lemongrass sour which was pretty good. They're a bakery during the day, I believe the bar opens at 2 (??) and the restaurant servers at 5. Haven't had any food there but I've heard the bakery is very good. Menu for the restaurant had fancy ass sandwiches. Right across the street from them is another Wide River Winery location.

I think that's all I can think of right now. Depending on how far you want to go LeClaire like I said is about a 20 minute or so drive from Davenport. But with the brewery, distillery and winery you could be there for a bit. Moline is about 10 minutes across the I74 bridge. If I think of anything else I'll let ya know. Cheers.
Just remembered another one, Radicle Effect Brewerks in Rock Island which borders Moline. Only been there once but good. 10 or so taps with a couple of their own stuff. No food but they have food trucks stop by.

All the places I mentioned in the past posts, with the exception of Green Tree, post their tap lists on either BeerMenus or TapHunter. They are pretty good about updating it frequently also.

Thanks templetondon and mattafett , really appreciate the suggestions. Any of these spots you recommend have good food as well? Should have time to hit a few while we're in town, but likely won't be able to venture too far out of town.
Both Big Grove locations have food. Lion Bridge too. It is Hipster food though. Good, but risky if you don't know what the hell they are talking about in the menu descriptions.

If I was willing to bet the "resort" town is Spirit Lake (Lake Okoboji). Never been.

GOOD LUCK!!!
NAILED IT!

we leave tomorrow. planning (hoping) to stop at Forager in Rochester MN on the way. looks like there are some decent food options in the Okoboji area.

there's a golf course where we're staying. tempted to bring my clubs and hit 9 on Saturday. up in the air on that. depends on how much room is left in the car.

NAILED IT!

we leave tomorrow. planning (hoping) to stop at Forager in Rochester MN on the way. looks like there are some decent food options in the Okoboji area.

there's a golf course where we're staying. tempted to bring my clubs and hit 9 on Saturday. up in the air on that. depends on how much room is left in the car.
I've meet a couple of the brewers from Forager, good guys and the beers really good too. Have fun in Iowa, if that's possible!

only had time for a single beer at Forager. went in planning to grab a flight, then pick one for a growler. the minimum they do is 6oz. pours, no flights.

i picked the gose

must have got a soapy glass. it wasn't good. i could taste the cleanser.

my only other real option was a 10% stout. didn't want that and wasn't up for chancing just picking up a growler if it might have turned out as poorly as the gose.

really nice space they have there, though. would have liked to spend more time. maybe another day.

Okoboji looks like the kind of place we'd visit a couple times per summer if it weren't 7+ hours away and in the absolute middle of nowhere. nice little lake scene they've got going. weather was sub-optimal. middle 60s and really windy... so no lake time but we did hit the amusement park there for a few hours and had fun.

rest of our time was eaten up by wedding responsibilities but we had fun.

A friend of mine is going to be passing through Iowa City this weekend, and has offered to pick up beer on my behalf. I assume the place to send him is still John's Grocery? Do they or others sell everything as singles?

As far as availability, any suggestions for local/regional sours? Especially interested in anything made with passionfruit.

A friend of mine is going to be passing through Iowa City this weekend, and has offered to pick up beer on my behalf. I assume the place to send him is still John's Grocery? Do they or others sell everything as singles?

As far as availability, any suggestions for local/regional sours? Especially interested in anything made with passionfruit.
John's is the go to, although I don't go there much. Hy-Vee is also good (any).
Local sours would be Madhouse, and Exile.

I will be co-hosting a lambic/Belgian share on Zwanze Day at the Club 76 in North Liberty.

I’ve got a bunch of bottles, and each participant will bring a dish to share (a bottle or two as well).

The 76 is a VFW ran by a friend of mine. Should be a good time.

I’m passing on Zwanze at Scheras for the first time ever. Initially the cost was $85, but went to $110 with the addition of Schramms (he will be there).
Way to rich for my blood.

Any FIB’s interested? Anyone else?

Latest posts