Is Fantome "back"?

Help Support Talkbeer:

I have them all in stock for around $12 with my discount. Lots of trades/shipping in the works lmk if you want to do a little something something. I have Pissenlit, Saison and Dark White at the moment.
Where's your store? I can't find any Saison currently.

I love Fantome, that goes without saying. I also have the utmost appreciation to the folks who assisted in getting this into my mouth. You know who you are, I tagged you at least twice, once was within the hour in the DDT.

Having said that, this is a tome i just dont get. I had to drink the entire bottle just to wrap my head around it. It was not bad by any stretch, it was just not my jam and very bleh by the standard i hold tomes up to. Nose opened up with cracked pepper, orange rinds and melons. Taste is green underdeveloped yeastiness, vegetative, clove, pear, melons, cracked pepper and is even a bit soapy with some phenols dancing around the edges.

I regret opening it. Probably would have enjoyed it more once the young feel went away. Im a little concerned because thats the general feeling ive had with a couple releases the past couple months. This is just a phase Stakem....just a phase.

I love Fantome, that goes without saying. I also have the utmost appreciation to the folks who assisted in getting this into my mouth. You know who you are, I tagged you at least twice, once was within the hour in the DDT.

Having said that, this is a tome i just dont get. I had to drink the entire bottle just to wrap my head around it. It was not bad by any stretch, it was just not my jam and very bleh by the standard i hold tomes up to. Nose opened up with cracked pepper, orange rinds and melons. Taste is green underdeveloped yeastiness, vegetative, clove, pear, melons, cracked pepper and is even a bit soapy with some phenols dancing around the edges.

I regret opening it. Probably would have enjoyed it more once the young feel went away. Im a little concerned because thats the general feeling ive had with a couple releases the past couple months. This is just a phase Stakem....just a phase.
i got a bit of unripe mangos but nothing too vegetative or off putting. definitely a lot of black pepper but very bright and slightly tart as well. a little soapy i could see but that doesn't usually bother me.

i got a bit of unripe mangos but nothing too vegetative or off putting. definitely a lot of black pepper but very bright and slightly tart as well. a little soapy i could see but that doesn't usually bother me.
I might have to write this one off as tometastic bottle variation because my experience was far from bright or tart. In fact, the first glass I drank while cool was the most plain tasting tome ive experienced im a very long time. The taste was almost void of flavor until it warmed up.

I sound like a broken record, but every single Tome I've purchased over the past couple years was not great when I opened it after getting it. Yeasty, clovey, like stakem mentions. Then, you open your second bottle 6-8 months later, and it's amazing. A completely different beast.

This happened to me with batches of Saison, Dark White, Pissenlit, Printemps, Dalmatienne, Tonka...and the list goes on and on.

Only outliers I've had were B1 De Tous les Djapes and Desert Ghost. They were great off the bat.

Bottom line, sit on every new Tome for at least 6 months. They aren't ready yet.

(On the bright side, maybe this will keep people turned off from Tomes like the smokey phenolic thing did a few years ago. I mean, we can't have everyone know how good they become)

I sound like a broken record, but every single Tome I've purchased over the past couple years was not great when I opened it after getting it. Yeasty, clovey, like stakem mentions. Then, you open your second bottle 6-8 months later, and it's amazing. A completely different beast.

This happened to me with batches of Saison, Dark White, Pissenlit, Printemps, Dalmatienne, Tonka...and the list goes on and on.

Only outliers I've had were B1 De Tous les Djapes and Desert Ghost. They were great off the bat.

Bottom line, sit on every new Tome for at least 6 months. They aren't ready yet.

(On the bright side, maybe this will keep people turned off from Tomes like the smokey phenolic thing did a few years ago. I mean, we can't have everyone know how good they become)
I've had the same experience. I don't think they are sitting on shelves as long as they used to. Also ordering from etre I feel like we're getting fairly fresh beer. Everything I've ordered has tasted that way. Even Blaugies saisons. I agree with the 6+ months waiting time. I feel like most of the newer releases are getting to the states within 2 months of being brewed. Not enough time in the bottle.

:(

I like the 6 month rule myself. It's hard to find these bottles enough for me buying two of each isn't feasible. So to best enjoy a bottle I only get one of I'm going to wait at least 6 months before I open. The last regular saison I found on the shelf and opened that night I feel could have used more time in the bottle.

Well I picked up a bottle of Chocolate. Honestly it sounds disgusting. I am determined to understand what the fuck this is all about and the only way to know is to go balls deep into the ghost den.

chili chocolate saison? kill me.
Open, enjoy(ish), likely never buy again.

Nothing in it to stop future purchases, but I am not stocking up.

Latest posts