Is Fantome "back"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandmeaulnes

Reaction score
i love fantome. ive defended danys creations against detractors for years. i love the old world/experimental/"ima just grab some herbs and flowers and chuck them into this fermenter" ethos of the brewery. bottle variation? cool, to be expected. bad bottles? ive had more than a fair few. i actually knitted this scarf for dany*.
Dany_and_Matt.jpg

the new label (glossy stock, different ghosts) fantome bottlings ive had have been categorical misses for me, having a universal smoke/puke/bandaid vibe that is actually emetic to my palate. ive been reading things here and there lately about fantome bottlings being back on point now ("on point" meaning odd, inconsistent, not always delicious- but never uninteresting or flat out bad).

i havent bought a new fantome in at least 6 months. anyone have any experiences one way or the other with recent bottlings? id love to be able to come home.

cc ehammond1 1v1willwreku, etc

*i cannot knit

I bought a fantome hiver 2 weeks ago. (smoke, bandaid, **** and whatever else you want to throw in there)

I will stick to the always good fantome saison and leave the smokey scraps for everyone else :)

I will stick to the always good fantome saison and leave the smokey scraps for everyone else :)

see the thing is though ive had og fantome saisons that have the puke/bandaid/smoke character in spades this past year.

see the thing is though ive had og fantome saisons that have the puke/bandaid/smoke character in spades this past year.
Are you trying to convince me to stop buying them altogether?

Funny thing actually. The cases I've ordered through importation over here have always been good.

Fantome, saison, magic ghost and pissenlits

The others that were terrible were always bottles I bought at different shops during trips to the U.S.

Dany said the problem was solved and I believe him. The probably I think happening is there are lots of those off batches sitting on shelves because of peoples bad experience, since they don't ever seem to notch the dates anymore there is no way to tell if you have a more recent bottle or not.

I've been very fortunate I guess in my bottle selecting process and even the bottles that were showing signs of the tire fire, I've enjoyed.

but I liked Idiot's Drool so there's that.

I've had Printemps, Bon Bons, and one other from batches that seemed to have arrived in Chicago in Spring/Summer of '13--each had mild smokiness but not the band-aid/plastic qualities and were not at all unpleasant. Missed the lot of original Saison, unfortunately. I love Fantome, so I'm hoping he has fixed the issues, but I guess I got lucky even in the midst of this recent unpleasantness.

Y u do dis? y?

No but really, Dany posted on BA several months ago that he found the problem causing these off-flavors was in one his equipment, but that it was now fixed. So I'd say buy only from retailers that move a lot of Fantome, or places you know are stocking fresher batches

I haven't seen a Fantome bottle on a shelf since I've been legal drinking age.

I've had a few saisons over the years that have been good enough for me to keep seeking them out.

hi THERE ! it's was a mixing system not very good working .. so, yes now all is good
I wonder if the reason it took so long for Dany to find the problem is because it was the first time he'd ever cleaned his equipment.
hi THERE ! it's was a mixing bottom tank brewing system not very good working .. so, yes now all is good ..

i love fantome. ive defended danys creations against detractors for years. i love the old world/experimental/"ima just grab some herbs and flowers and chuck them into this fermenter" ethos of the brewery. bottle variation? cool, to be expected. bad bottles? ive had more than a fair few. i actually knitted this scarf for dany*.
Dany_and_Matt.jpg

the new label (glossy stock, different ghosts) fantome bottlings ive had have been categorical misses for me, having a universal smoke/puke/bandaid vibe that is actually emetic to my palate. ive been reading things here and there lately about fantome bottlings being back on point now ("on point" meaning odd, inconsistent, not always delicious- but never uninteresting or flat out bad).

i havent bought a new fantome in at least 6 months. anyone have any experiences one way or the other with recent bottlings? id love to be able to come home.

*i cannot knit

Dany! is that really you? It seems a bit convenient that a Fantome thread pops up today and you happen to register the same day. If it's really you welcome!
... yes, it's just me, Jnorton..only an strange idea to see this now..it's surely a fantomatic head system.. i don't know..

Dany_and_Matt.jpg

*i cannot knit
How do you decide when and who to knit scarves for?

has anyone had the batch of brise bonbons that shelton distro'd semi-recently

itt: trolldar is beeping strong

you all disappoint me

I've had a Hiver recently and a Dark White in the last few months. I hate to report that both were drain pours. I would love to have a good Fantome, as I have heard good things, and I will continue to try them when I can find them, but my first 2 were just not there.

Back