Italy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkoko

Reaction score
Is there anyone on the site from Italy (specifically Siena) or knows someone there or is visiting, etc. Need a big favor. Please BM me!

I'll keep this thread going for Italy travel. Any recommendations for beer spots/stores, restaurants etc for the some of the major cities? Venice, Florence, Rome, etc...I'll be there in late August.

Thanks.

I'll keep this thread going for Italy travel. Any recommendations for beer spots/stores, restaurants etc for the some of the major cities? Venice, Florence, Rome, etc...I'll be there in late August.

Thanks.

Bump! I'll be in Florence in 2 weeks. Any good shops where I can find some cantillon or 3F or good lambics?

Bir and Fud was our favorite brewpub in Italy. The food was great and beers were drinkable. It is also across the alley from Ma Che Siete, a decent beer bar.

Johnny's Offlicense was my favorite bottle shop. The owner was kind enough to share a can of Banger with me...totally unexpected.

I did not care for the beer at Baladin in Rome.

In Florence we heard a lot about Mostodolce, but honestly I thought their beer was terrible. The ambience was fun, though a bit young for this 41 year old. I preferred Brewdog and Beer House Club.

In Cinque Terra I think the beer bar I went to was called Bergus and it was in Vernazza. I was mediocre.

Ma Che Siete Ventui a Fa was my favorite beer pub in Italy. They have the best beer on tap and always take extra care pouring beer. DCLA and I had a good time there - what was the owner's name? Guy was crazy generous and super friendly!

Ma Che Siete Ventui a Fa was my favorite beer pub in Italy. They have the best beer on tap and always take extra care pouring beer. DCLA and I had a good time there - what was the owner's name? Guy was crazy generous and super friendly!

Also, as a follow-up, it was hot as balls when I was there, and the Rose de Gambrinus on tap really hit the spot. Place was legit.

Rome, Siena, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre.

Hit Bir and Fud and Ma Che Siete. Dinner at Antica Pesa is excellent and a short walk from the two beer bars. Trastevere is pretty mellow and a good place to hang out at night.

Casa Coppelle is great for cocktails. They make an absurdly Negroni with their own bitters. In action:

14192070_10210817526540689_2636905104139638421_n.jpg

Also, as a follow-up, it was hot as balls when I was there, and the Rose de Gambrinus on tap really hit the spot. Place was legit.

Hit Bir and Fud and Ma Che Siete. Dinner at Antica Pesa is excellent and a short walk from the two beer bars. Trastevere is pretty mellow and a good place to hang out at night.

Casa Coppelle is great for cocktails. They make an absurdly Negroni with their own bitters. In action:

14192070_10210817526540689_2636905104139638421_n.jpg
I can't wait to go back. I met some cool people and kept in touch. Would like to spend a little more time hanging out without an agenda to follow.

If you are near the Pantheon at some point (and you absolutely should be), there is a killer restaurant just a few yards away called Armando. The address is Salita dei Crecenzi, 31. Very tough to get in, but it was our best meal in Rome.

If you are near the Pantheon at some point (and you absolutely should be), there is a killer restaurant just a few yards away called Armando. The address is Salita dei Crecenzi, 31. Very tough to get in, but it was our best meal in Rome.

Yess.. food was hit or miss last time I was in Rome, so this is a good one. Thanks!

Check out sora margherita in the Jewish quarter. Guy had to have his daughter come out and translate the menu for us that was written on construction paper

Wife and I are headed to Pisa and Florence soon. Any recommendations (other than Brewdog and Beer House Club)? I haven't found much for Pisa...and too bad we won't be hitting Rome.

Wife and I are headed to Pisa and Florence soon. Any recommendations (other than Brewdog and Beer House Club)? I haven't found much for Pisa...and too bad we won't be hitting Rome.
In Florence, check out:

Diorama - great beer spot (they also pair charcuterie and cheeses), super friendly
Berbere - pizza and beer
Archea Brewery - solid bottles in addition to the draft list

Hey guys, going to Italy and France (really just Paris) for my honeymoon in November. Scheduling is kind of wide open, as we have 11 non travel days to schedule as we wish. We fly into Rome, and fly out of Paris. I can’t devote tooooo much time into beer (I got yelled at for turning every trip into a beer trip ), but would love to hit a couple good spots. Also, advice for restaurants would be gladly taken as well (no $200 a person sort of meals tho...)

I’ve taken notes from this thread (and tried reading other pages), but as we all know- beer has changed significantly in a year when this thread was last posted in. Also, I would obviously love to drink Cantillon/3F, but definitely would like to hear what local stuff is worth checking out.

Hey guys, going to Italy and France (really just Paris) for my honeymoon in November. Scheduling is kind of wide open, as we have 11 non travel days to schedule as we wish. We fly into Rome, and fly out of Paris. I can’t devote tooooo much time into beer (I got yelled at for turning every trip into a beer trip ), but would love to hit a couple good spots. Also, advice for restaurants would be gladly taken as well (no $200 a person sort of meals tho...)

I’ve taken notes from this thread (and tried reading other pages), but as we all know- beer has changed significantly in a year when this thread was last posted in. Also, I would obviously love to drink Cantillon/3F, but definitely would like to hear what local stuff is worth checking out.

In Rome, go here to drink lambic and others beers and have a good time:

Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà

https://www.instagram.com/machesietevenutiafa/

What The Ryan said. Also page one on this thread is still valid for Rome. Ma Che is definitely at the top of the list. Make sure to also check out IPAs from Vento Forte. I was very impressed with the ones I tried. I imagine they are better now. One other place that wasn't mentioned is Open Baladin that I thought was pretty good. I had RdG on draft and they had a bunch of local stuff on draft and a bottle selection.

Echoing many others in here; Ma Che is unbelievably awesome. Bir & Fud too.
The Trestevare neighborhood in general is my favorite part of Rome. One of the best meals I’ve ever had in my entire life is there in fact.
Trattoria da Enzo Al 29. Highly recommended

If you’re going to go the Vatican, the owner of Ma Che & B&F has a spot there too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=be....j1j9&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

They had tipo pils(drink as much of this as you can) & a good lambic selection.

Thanks guys, you have bolstered my notes quite a bit! I think I’ve seen Bir & Fud’s name pop up several times, too. So I guess it’s a must hit, too.

Wife and I loved these places. Plus they were convenient for seeing sights.
Bir & Fud
Via Benedetta, 23, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 589 4016

https://goo.gl/maps/TRCtzJzKyjm

This place is across the alley from Bit and Fud and had Cantillon.
Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà
25, Via Benedetta, 25, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 6456 2046

https://goo.gl/maps/LRTaHm3Myxu

Johnny's Off License Campo de' Fiori
Via dei Balestrari, 9, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 3107 4795

https://goo.gl/maps/csSxn1oEd8u

Great bottle shop, cool owner. Again, very convenient.

Not a beer place, but my favorite restaurant in Rome. Hard to get in, but worth it. Again, very convenient if you go to the Pantheon (my favorite place in Rome).

Armando al Pantheon
Salita dei Crescenzi, 31, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 6880 3034

https://goo.gl/maps/Was8yxFSBCB2

Edit: should have refreshed my phone before posting all this.

You just gave me a pasta boner

awkward_wood.gif

Thanks guys, you have bolstered my notes quite a bit! I think I’ve seen Bir & Fud’s name pop up several times, too. So I guess it’s a must hit, too.
Bir & Fud is right across the alley from Ma Che...also if you have any room in your luggage they enjoy when people bring beers to share or give away. Especially cans.

You just gave me a pasta boner

awkward_wood.gif

Bir & Fud is right across the alley from Ma Che...also if you have any room in your luggage they enjoy when people bring beers to share or give away. Especially cans.
Yeah, I planned on bringing some creature comforts, Trillium, and maybe some bourbon.

Bir & Fud
+39 06 589 4016

Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà
+39 06 6456 2046

+39 06 3107 4795

Not a beer place, but my favorite restaurant in Rome. Hard to get in, but worth it. Again, very convenient if you go to the Pantheon (my favorite place in Rome).

Armando al Pantheon
+39 06 6880 3034

The reviews on Armando al Pantheon have convinced me that we have to go.

Flights or trains might take you through Milan. If so then I'd highly recommend Lambic Zoon. My travels were from Milan and south from there, and to be frank I found most of it outside of Milan disappointing for beer. The best options on the Mediterranean were typically German imports. The Eataly in Milan is massive and they had a very impressive beer collection include some Loons.

Looks like I was able to change the itinerary to exclude Venice and add Brussels :). Venice was just going to be so far out of the way, as everywhere else we wanted to go was in a pretty convenient line.

Anyone with insights regarding Gaeta? Going in about a week and would gladly take some recs, even though most of the trip already has a quite fixed schedule.... Hoping to find some Baladin Xyauyu variant!

Heading to Rome in a few hours for the first time so I’m stoked I found this thread and all these suggestions! Will definitely be making a stop at Ma Che and from the looks of it Armando looks like exactly the type of restaurant I was looking for. Any tips on getting in?!

Heading to Rome in a few hours for the first time so I’m stoked I found this thread and all these suggestions! Will definitely be making a stop at Ma Che and from the looks of it Armando looks like exactly the type of restaurant I was looking for. Any tips on getting in?!

We could not get a res, but showed up at opening, hung out for less than ten minutes, and got a table. Don't dress too casual. Good luck and spend forever at the Pantheon.

Bir & Fud
+39 06 589 4016

Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà
+39 06 6456 2046

+39 06 3107 4795

Armando al Pantheon
+39 06 6880 3034

Literally did all of these and it was incredible. Drank my weight in Tipopils at Bir & Fud and then proceeded to do the same with Cantillon Gueuze at Ma Che. Stayed right off of Campo de’ Fiori so swang into Johnny’s Off License each night to snag a loon for a nightcap. Managed to grab a res at Armando and my God was that meal glorious. I’m a huge fan of the Roman styles of pasta, so having gricia and amatriciana cooked so perfectly was wonderful.
Only thing I can add was a meal at Da Enzo in Trastevere, classic hole in the wall trattoria with epic food and a pretty solid wine list from a bunch of winemakers in Lazio.

TLDR: Do everything quoted above if you’re in Rome.

Literally did all of these and it was incredible. Drank my weight in Tipopils at Bir & Fud and then proceeded to do the same with Cantillon Gueuze at Ma Che. Stayed right off of Campo de’ Fiori so swang into Johnny’s Off License each night to snag a loon for a nightcap. Managed to grab a res at Armando and my God was that meal glorious. I’m a huge fan of the Roman styles of pasta, so having gricia and amatriciana cooked so perfectly was wonderful.
Only thing I can add was a meal at Da Enzo in Trastevere, classic hole in the wall trattoria with epic food and a pretty solid wine list from a bunch of winemakers in Lazio.

TLDR: Do everything quoted above if you’re in Rome.

Awesome. I need to go back.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to stay in Rome and Florence? Didn't love the areas I stayed in a few years ago, so open to ideas!

Back