ITT: Barleywines

Help Support Talkbeer:

If we are including Old Ales and similar styles, especially BA versions, then two of my favorites are:

One of my favorite aspects of BA barleywines and old ales is that they are perfect beers (IMO) to pair with a good cigar.

Two year old Arctic Panzer Wolf is a pretty mean Barleywine.

But serious it should be mentioned Bells Third Coast Old Ale is spectacular with a few years on it, I've been digging hard on it lately.

This was my first love as far as barleywines go

became obsessed after that. I wish I had more than just the 2 bottles of this left.

Here are some others that I'm a big fan of

always amazing

readily available and really good, especially with a year on it.

Too lazy to dig through my pictures for the others, but Sucaba, MOAS, Old Foghorn and Uinta Cock Eyed Cooper all make me wonder if trading for barleywines is even necessary when those are all easy to come by in my neck of the woods.

If we are bringing Old Ales into the mix I opened up a 2005 Brandy Old Stock with some folks 9 months ago or so and it was extrememly tasty. I've been looking to acquire a 2005 Bourbon just to see how it compares to the Brandy.

Don't get me wrong on Blendiculous, it's a very, very nice beer and I'm quite happy to have tried it. But like a lot of other hard to trade for beers, it didn't wow me enough over some more available things to absolutely want to seek it out again. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in it at all, you may even love it, but like I said I preferred Arctic Devil which can be ordered online.

Again, this is hardly exclusive to Blendiculous: I'd rather drink a 2012 Parabola than BCBVS, regardless of trade values, based on how they currently tasted to me. For one example.
I feel the same way as you mostly, except sub 2012 BCBS for parabola.

I feel like I've been remiss in tracking down a number of barleywines that have escaped me or I just havent gotten around to opening. Some are Gratitude, Arctic Devil, BA Hi Fi, Sebago Barleywine, Bligh's, BA Bigfoot, etc. Also I need to try Kuhnhenn BBBW again since last time I dont exactly, uh, recall tasting it. :oops:

Here's some pron of a recent one I really enjoyed:

Latest posts