ITT: Barleywines

Help Support Talkbeer:

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Heard bad things about the rebrew of this. I've never had a fresh THA before but i think this is pretty great out of the gate. Hits all the standard English BW notes. Really regretting not getting a few more to age but I'm just glad to see it back.
Good to hear. Grabbed a bottle of the 50th Anniversary Golden Edition (which I've heard is good) and the whiskey BA version (which I've heard is not good). Guess I'll have to find our for myself.

Crosspost from cigar thread... Pohjala Odravein, from their extremely underrated barrel program. If you have a store that gets Shelton distro nearby, this might be on shelf and is well worth your attention. A bit spikier than some BABWs, but not hot or astringent - some bitterness, some wood, but lots of complexity.
57F5C59B-E090-4EAB-9506-B679B658E33E.jpeg

Attachments

Crosspost from cigar thread... Pohjala Odravein, from their extremely underrated barrel program. If you have a store that gets Shelton distro nearby, this might be on shelf and is well worth your attention. A bit spikier than some BABWs, but not hot or astringent - some bitterness, some wood, but lots of complexity.
View attachment 8259
Gah, just picked that bottle up off the shelf in Bend, OR and then set it back down. It'll probably be there when I visit again in November...

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Forgot to mention that our local bottle shop has "Vintage Bigfoot" - a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year barrel-aged Bigfoot for growler fills. Nice dude who works there offered me a taste when I was deciding between 2 beers for fills. Certainly wouldn't choose it over pretty much any English-style barleywine, but it still beat the shit out of regular Bigfoot and "regular" barrel-aged Bigfoot. Think Central Waters BBBW with more hop bitterness. Still ended up getting a fill of Velvet Merkin instead.

TL; DR: you won't be making a life-alteringly bad decision if you buy this beer.

Forgot to mention that our local bottle shop has "Vintage Bigfoot" - a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year barrel-aged Bigfoot for growler fills. Nice dude who works there offered me a taste when I was deciding between 2 beers for fills. Certainly wouldn't choose it over pretty much any English-style barleywine, but it still beat the shit out of regular Bigfoot and "regular" barrel-aged Bigfoot. Think Central Waters BBBW with more hop bitterness. Still ended up getting a fill of Velvet Merkin instead.

TL; DR: you won't be making a life-alteringly bad decision if you buy this beer.
Grabbed one the other day at South Lyndale, will report back.

Group Builder