ITT: Barrel-Aged Stouts (No Adjuncts Allowed)

Help Support Talkbeer:

BA Vladimir’s Pegasus by Junkyard Brewing in Moorhead MN. Definitely their best beer to date. Also had a 2019 BA darkness last night. It’s improving every year now. Can’t post a pic because I wasn’t allowed but I would highly recommend both of those beers if you can find them because they actually exist.

jmgrub we have some beers to drink when you get in to town.

That's the best non adjunct BA stout I've ever had. Also the best BA stout period I've ever had. Sneaks past SR71. It's so thick and rich but balanced. Enough bitter roast to blend with fudge and bourbon. Picks up so many nuances from the barrel. Glad I was lucky enough to snag a bottle. It was a long drive to St Louis and back but it beats trying to get one on the trade market or secondary. Plus when you have your own bottle you can just open it up for Wrestlemania instead of rearranging your schedule whenever your drinking buddies want to open theirs.

That's the best non adjunct BA stout I've ever had. Also the best BA stout period I've ever had. Sneaks past SR71. It's so thick and rich but balanced. Enough bitter roast to blend with fudge and bourbon. Picks up so many nuances from the barrel. Glad I was lucky enough to snag a bottle. It was a long drive to St Louis and back but it beats trying to get one on the trade market or secondary. Plus when you have your own bottle you can just open it up for Wrestlemania instead of rearranging your schedule whenever your drinking buddies want to open theirs.
Which batch?

Never heard of this brewery. A buddy that knows "I'm into beer" randomly gave this to me.

Turns out, it's easily one of the best BA Stouts I've had in the last few years. Fantastic!
And I even had BBT on tap last year.

If I wasn't on a buying hold, I'd seek out more of this!

Batch 2. The most recent one. Picked it up Thanksgiving Sunday. I didn't want to wait too long to try it. I had too long of a drive home in not so great weather to open a bottle on-site that day. It lived up to all the hype last night.
This was the right move IMO, at least if batch 1 is any indication. Had it fresh right after the release in early Dec 17, then again in Feb 18, and was definitely one of of the best BA stouts I've had both times. Then had it at a share I posted earlier in this thread in Dec 18, a bit more than a year after release. It was still very good, but not quite as much of a standout as previously.

My theory on this is that Cory King is obviously very talented at blending BA stouts, and as a result the beers are pretty much perfect to drink right out of the gate. I don't see how extended aging is going to improve them, but I could be wrong there. Not that I get to try them often enough to find out mind you. I did have D3 both shortly after release and then a few years later, and recall enjoying it roughly the same both times.

Latest posts