ITT: Barrel-Aged Stouts (No Adjuncts Allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Reaction score
Looked for a thread but didn't find anything.

Drank this Willett Black Magick yesterday. Totally delicious (in typical Black Magick fashion), maybe a touch less body than is is usual for the series, but that also made it a bit more drinkable for me. Seems like there may have been a few fingers of bourbon left in these barrels.

In any event, post your barrel-aged, non-adjunct/additive stouts here. Cheers!

BCX3lxv.jpg

Looked for a thread but didn't find anything.

Drank this Willett Black Magick yesterday. Totally delicious (in typical Black Magick fashion), maybe a touch less body than is is usual for the series, but that also made it a bit more drinkable for me. Seems like there may have been a few fingers of bourbon left in these barrels.

In any event, post your barrel-aged, non-adjunct/additive stouts here. Cheers!

BCX3lxv.jpg
I'll take "Least appetizing beach beers" for 500, Alex.

while i really enjoyed silver (the one that started this thread) last year i had the chance to have red, and to date it was barrel aged perfection

6a0e715bf5d6748d0b9e9254e774c0ee_raw.jpg

just looking at this photo brings back memories of how awesome it was...

Yes that was pure fudge. Would probably give the slight edge to 4 Roses over Willett if you made me choose, but both great.

eb6f434d7c1b964ae1ccbdcb9e7bc74c_raw.jpeg

pretty damn solid non adjunct ba stout if i say so myself

I was going to post this one but realized I didn't have a picture of it. Really good this year and I wish I'd bought more than one 4-pack. I can see it aging well, but there's no way I'm going to have any left long enough to find out.

Assuming oatmeal stouts are allowed, I'll mention two here that I think are classics:

Fremont BA Dark Star (aka KDS). Had the most recent vintage lately and was reassured it's really one of the best BA stouts out there. Thick as hell, oily, rich and yet somehow refreshing. Damn fine beer. Damn fine.

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin. I didn't care for the most recent bottlings, but a 2016 I had last week was as great as ever. I've always thought this was a really vibrant beer, with great flavors and nice barrel character.

Assuming oatmeal stouts are allowed, I'll mention two here that I think are classics:

Fremont BA Dark Star (aka KDS). Had the most recent vintage lately and was reassured it's really one of the best BA stouts out there. Thick as hell, oily, rich and yet somehow refreshing. Damn fine beer. Damn fine.

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin. I didn't care for the most recent bottlings, but a 2016 I had last week was as great as ever. I've always thought this was a really vibrant beer, with great flavors and nice barrel character.

Fremont KDS is killer. Folks dedicate a lot of resources trying to acquire hype stouts for marginal gains. I'll take stuff like KDS all the time.

View attachment 4113
Four of the best non-adjunct stouts ever made. OG Rare is still the best one I've had.

First time I had OG Rare was at a share in NYC that I got randomly invited to while hanging out at Torst, mid-November 2013, was pretty stoked to tick it as it had a hefty reputation as one of the big stout whales. At that same share a Pappy Black Magick was also opened, which I'd heard good things about and knew was in demand, but it didn't register the same kind of "oh ****, huge want!" that Rare did. Then I tried it, and immediately proclaimed it the best beer of the night and better than Rare. Still might be the best non-adjunct BA stout I can recall trying.

First time I had OG Rare was at a share in NYC that I got randomly invited to while hanging out at Torst, mid-November 2013, was pretty stoked to tick it as it had a hefty reputation as one of the big stout whales. At that same share a Pappy Black Magick was also opened, which I'd heard good things about and knew was in demand, but it didn't register the same kind of "oh ****, huge want!" that Rare did. Then I tried it, and immediately proclaimed it the best beer of the night and better than Rare. Still might be the best non-adjunct BA stout I can recall trying.
I can see that being the case. Pappy Magick is 1B for me. Just phenomenal beers.

RS2n4Pa.jpg

Shitty day of work (aren't they all?) so I decided to open this bottle that I apparently bought about 6 years ago when people still cared about de Molen outside of them needing to do a collab with Anchorage.

Very faint carb, a little thin, decent amount of char and definitely over the hill, but it still does the trick. Not nearly as good as I remember it though (unsurprisingly).

So davey101 fresh Bourbon Barrel Hel and Verdoemenis > aged Bourbon Barrel Hel and Verdoemenis.

As of a year ago, it was still a show stopper. Really wish Voodoo would make it again.
I wish I could actually get any of the Voodoo barrel room stuff at this point, the first 2 releases with the outdoor parties were pretty fun. Now that it's all midweek surprise social media announcements and gone before I even know it was released sucks. I also dont really need any more beer in my house.

I wish I could actually get any of the Voodoo barrel room stuff at this point, the first 2 releases with the outdoor parties were pretty fun. Now that it's all midweek surprise social media announcements and gone before I even know it was released sucks. I also dont really need any more beer in my house.
I'm fairly close to a Voodoo location but since I don't pay attention to social media I can't get them either before the shitlords snap them up to trade for inferior beer.

we’re starting to sound like the memorum of whales thread lol

some eclipse stick outnumbered in my head
2009 elijah craig was my all time favorite for a long time.
2011 elijah craig 20 was also ridiculous
most of the pappy eclipses were pretty damn good
the very first masterpiece eclipse was also top tiered on the realm of straight up ba stout, i think it was aged in original pappy barrels

and speaking of apple brandy i remember trying apple brandy zhukov when they filled counter pressured growlers that was outstanding!

we all know 2009 jack daniels blackbeerd is the GOAT tho

Apple Brandy Black Magick came out of the gates the weakest of Pappy, Buffalo Trace and Apple Brandy, and was IMO best in show a year later.
agreed on initial release (those BTrace were pure fudge!) then about 1.5-2 years later it was Pappy (by even bigger margin)>>>AB>BTrace. those BTrace bottles started to get a little bit of weird tart/sourness (not infectedf, but just a odd flavor) in them (same with all of the BA BBVD released at same time)

Last edited:
No love for CW Anniversary series I see.

1414 and Fifteen were phenomenal. They've gone a little downhill in the years since, but they're still top notch.

I did not get to try Ardea Insignis.

Agreed with all this (especially Fifteen, man was that beer ever good), and Ardea Insignis was quite outstanding too.

1414 and Fifteen were phenomenal. They've gone a little downhill in the years since, but they're still top notch.

yeah i remember being blown away by 1414 that immediately traded for fifteen the following year (and the following years). they definitively arent what they used to be tho

yeah i remember being blown away by 1414 that immediately traded for fifteen the following year (and the following years). they definitively arent what they used to be tho

Maybe your palate is jaded.

Anybody here had the Otter Creek RIS BA edition? Their RIS is my favorite in terms of non-BA. Never got my hands on the BA version but wondered if anybody here had tasting notes on it.

I loved Sixteen and I really loved Seventeen. Seventeen was fudgy but nicely balanced with a bitter/tartish cherry note.

Back