ITT: Brandy

Help Support Talkbeer:

1985 Delord, bottled in 2010. Strikingly different than the standard 25. Much darker with a sweet toffee caramel note and hints of tobacco. The nose is a bit dull, but it tastes amazing.

Does soft actually mean anything in Brandy/Armagnac? This De Lord is soft in the mouth, like silk or a really smooth pillow case. Almost like drinking water to start, no burn at all just softness. After the initial thought of is this really booze I finish the sip and get a nice alcohol kick. That is followed by sweet notes that I suck at describing but to try I will start backwards with some grape sweetness and raisins on the long after taste. Before that is a chocolate flavored and some raisin. I guess it tastes like different forms of grapes haha.

Does soft actually mean anything in Brandy/Armagnac? This De Lord is soft in the mouth, like silk or a really smooth pillow case. Almost like drinking water to start, no burn at all just softness. After the initial thought of is this really booze I finish the sip and get a nice alcohol kick. That is followed by sweet notes that I suck at describing but to try I will start backwards with some grape sweetness and raisins on the long after taste. Before that is a chocolate flavored and some raisin. I guess it tastes like different forms of grapes haha.
It is really soft, yes. Not the sweetest brandy I've ever had though for sure. The reason I love that brandy as a starter brandy i general (and a good intro o Armagnac) is that it's really really easy to drink and it's proofed down to 80. What distinguishes Armaganc from Cognac first is generally the assertiveness of the spirit. Armagnac is single distilled where Cognac is double distilled. You will see all sorts of aged expressions for Armagnac whereas most Cognac producers really strive for a few consistent expressions in their portfolios. I have a 1985 Domaine de Baraillon that is 27 years old and 48% that blows away any scotch of whiskey I've ever had. Huge spicy flavors. So good. Much alcohol.

It is really soft, yes. Not the sweetest brandy I've ever had though for sure. The reason I love that brandy as a starter brandy i general (and a good intro o Armagnac) is that it's really really easy to drink and it's proofed down to 80. What distinguishes Armaganc from Cognac first is generally the assertiveness of the spirit. Armagnac is single distilled where Cognac is double distilled. You will see all sorts of aged expressions for Armagnac whereas most Cognac producers really strive for a few consistent expressions in their portfolios. I have a 1985 Domaine de Baraillon that is 27 years old and 48% that blows away any scotch of whiskey I've ever had. Huge spicy flavors. So good. Much alcohol.
Yeah I didn't think the sweetness took over at all and this is very approachable as an entry spirit. I will be looking for more Armagnac in the future, thanks for the tip!

Yeah I didn't think the sweetness took over at all and this is very approachable as an entry spirit. I will be looking for more Armagnac in the future, thanks for the tip!
Nice. Like I said, whenever I start the BrIF you should jump in. You're lucky to have a place like K&L in CA that has great selection so it'll be easy to get.

Looking to get my feet wet. My store has a bottle of 1996 Darroze Domaine De Dupont for $50. Is it a good bottle?

a friend brought over a bottle of delord 25. it was delicious, it blew all the germain-robin (the only brandy i've had) away. is there anything else in that price range i should check out?