ITT: Brandy

Help Support Talkbeer:

Need a recommendation for some killer Calvados. Had some amazing ones in Europe but never got to find out what I had. In the PNW I really enjoy the ones from Clear Creek Distellery. The 7 year old limousine oak BA one (used to make HotD Matt) and their regular Apple brandy are great but I want more options. Anyone? I'm down for recommendations from $50-$100 per bottle.

Need a recommendation for some killer Calvados. Had some amazing ones in Europe but never got to find out what I had. In the PNW I really enjoy the ones from Clear Creek Distellery. The 7 year old limousine oak BA one (used to make HotD Matt) and their regular Apple brandy are great but I want more options. Anyone? I'm down for recommendations from $50-$100 per bottle.
Adrien Camut 6yr is absolutely your best bet. If you really like it and are willing to spend a bit more further down the line his 18yr is spectacular. I doubt you'd find many people that would argue against him being the greatest calvados producer.

In the $100 range for Armagnac, my go to producer is Ravignan....I have never been less than thrilled with any of the bottles I have had from them. For intro bottles the Domaine Seailles 20yr retails for around $40 and is delicious....way better than any French brandy I have had at this price point. I have seen no mention itt of Spanish brandies but Lepanto makes awesome brandy that retails for around $50/btl that is aged in either Oloroso or PX Sherry Barrels.

Doc

Just bought this because I was born in 83. This will be my first Armagnac, and the reality is I haven't had brandy of any sort in years and years. Should I leave this unopened for a bit and try something less expensive and work my way up?

Just bought this because I was born in 83. This will be my first Armagnac, and the reality is I haven't had brandy of any sort in years and years. Should I leave this unopened for a bit and try something less expensive and work my way up?

Take it to the face. There are literally hundreds of other bottles you can easily get from 1983 in a variety of price ranges.

Get in there....it's really really good.

Doc

I opened it last night, and damn it was tough to get at! I eventually just got a lighter and melted down the wax.

It was good, but it felt somewhat.....restrained? It could be because I'm so used to the explosive flavors of bourbon, but frankly I don't know what it was supposed to taste like.

I opened it last night, and damn it was tough to get at! I eventually just got a lighter and melted down the wax.

It was good, but it felt somewhat.....restrained? It could be because I'm so used to the explosive flavors of bourbon, but frankly I don't know what it was supposed to taste like.
It is supposed to taste like unicorn tears

If you want a bourbon-y kind of Armagnac I'd look into some of the bottlings from Domain de Baraillon or look for releases that aren't proofed down. That's where some of the restraint is definitely coming from. Brandy definitely has a softer touch than bourbon in general. Something you could do is after you finish the glass just let it sit out overnight and go back and take a whiff of it. That gives a decent idea of what's hiding in there.

Check http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/calvados-and-other-fruit-brandies-thread.10043/
But yeah, Adrien Camut 6 yrs is the tits.

Where would one purchase quality Calvados? Does Calvados have best vintages?
I don't know anything about single vintage calvados, but chambers street wines always has camut and crush and crush should have some options. If there's something in particular you're interested in plugging it into wine-searcher should give you some good results.

I don't know anything about single vintage calvados, but chambers street wines always has camut and crush and crush should have some options. If there's something in particular you're interested in plugging it into wine-searcher should give you some good results.
I wouldn't say anything particular. My dad's 50th birthday is coming up and I want to get him a really good bottle. I'll probably go with Camut since everyone seems to think he's the best.

I like this.

Friend brought me this to try and its amazing. Sparked the interest.

what next yinz guys?

Latest posts