ITT: Brandy

Help Support Talkbeer:

I'll preempt this with I know zero about this spirit. I saw this and being a beer nerd I found it interesting but not $58 interesting enough to buy..

InB4 brandy aged in soy sauce barrels

Reactions: Doc
Here come dat Bois communs

Definitely not a brandy cicerone so feel free to shame me for talking about non-grape brandies.

Out in Palisade, CO for peach picking season and I just picked up a bottle of pear brandy from Peach Street Distillery:

(I did not opt for the pear in the bottle version as it is $30 more for the gimmick).

Really nice drink, obviously not as complex as a 25yr old spirit but they use extra pears from the area that are too ripe to go to market and you get a really nice, complex, overripe, stewed pear aroma and flavor.

They do a peach brandy as well but the flavor on the peach was a little funkier and not as round and smooth.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
From a while back. Chateau de Pellehaut Armagnac Tenareze 15-year. I think this was a K&L exclusive.

As a drinker who migrated from beer -> scotch -> bourbon -> rye, I was apprehensive about this one; it was recommended by a friend who said it was like a well-aged scotch or bourbon (which I find too smooth much of the time). The initial burst of fruit led me to think it would be sweet, but the finish is surprisingly baking-spicy and dry. I still have this open in the garage and will likely revisit it later this week.

I don't drink brandy, but my dad sent me a bottle of this recently and aside from a quick Google search, I know nothing about it.

any recs on how to get the most out of this armagnac experience I've found myself in?

I have dabbled in some Cognac's but have not really bought anything over $50. Has anyone tried the Costco's Kirkland XO yak? I was wondering if it was worth paying the $46 for.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
From a while back. Chateau de Pellehaut Armagnac Tenareze 15-year. I think this was a K&L exclusive.

As a drinker who migrated from beer -> scotch -> bourbon -> rye, I was apprehensive about this one; it was recommended by a friend who said it was like a well-aged scotch or bourbon (which I find too smooth much of the time). The initial burst of fruit led me to think it would be sweet, but the finish is surprisingly baking-spicy and dry. I still have this open in the garage and will likely revisit it later this week.
This post was a while ago, but I blew $500 on a variety of Chateau de Pellehaut armagnacs today. I became a believer in a huge way. I stocked up on 17 years (2000) and treated myself to a 1994 and 1986. Excite.

SeaWatchman sent me this sample 4-5 years ago as part of a 50N trade. Apparently this is the cognac that provides the barrels for 50N. And great - now I want more 50N and I has none. Anyone FT?

B0DC8ABE-2EC6-4973-B674-5EF4F51167F1.jpeg

Sharp up front, very tingly like a young rye, smoother and nuttier on the back end, finish doesn’t linger too terribly long - reminds me more of a really young low-peat single malt. The grapey-ness I expected more of comes way after the fact as almost a sherry undertone.

I’m a noob - school me! Thanks, Adam.

SeaWatchman sent me this sample 4-5 years ago as part of a 50N trade. Apparently this is the cognac that provides the barrels for 50N. And great - now I want more 50N and I has none. Anyone FT?

View attachment 4215

Sharp up front, very tingly like a young rye, smoother and nuttier on the back end, finish doesn’t linger too terribly long - reminds me more of a really young low-peat single malt. The grapey-ness I expected more of comes way after the fact as almost a sherry undertone.

We opened a bottle of this back at an epic lambic tasting. I agree that it is very Scotch-like and not like a ton of Cognac that I have had.

View attachment 4215

God this is good cognac. I think I have like maybe 3 or four pours left. And enough 50n to go along with. :cool:

I was craving a vieux carre the other night so on a whim I went to the corner store by my house to get cognac, and they had either this Remy 1738 stuff or Hennessy. Nope on the Hennessy.

EECF8CAC-B731-451E-AED1-41AF65BDA246.jpeg

Strangely still had a partial bottle of benedictine that I don’t remember buying but with their powers combined, I put myself in the nap zone.

84D62D17-8CFC-436C-8E8C-FBF5C19F690D.jpeg

Last edited: