ITT - Gearheads and Rides

Help Support Talkbeer:

I just got a new truck back in September but this is interesting.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Need to see the higher tow capacity versions and what the dually looks like but it seems to have the right features and capabilities.
They make a lot of bold claims for what they're saying are production intent numbers and I'm pretty sure you can't legally replace side mirrors with cameras yet, but I'm watching them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hennessey is just pretty sketchy. They tend to build one example of a vehicle that is super amazing, but from what I understand, their follow through on building them for customers is quite poor. And they may or may not always be on the brink of financial collapse, which means that orders (with down payments) may be lost at any time.

Hennessey is just pretty sketchy. They tend to build one example of a vehicle that is super amazing, but from what I understand, their follow through on building them for customers is quite poor. And they may or may not always be on the brink of financial collapse, which means that orders (with down payments) may be lost at any time.
I've read a lot of the stories, and would never place an order with them. Nevertheless, that Jeep is one bad bitch.

Josh

Premium Non-Supporting Supporter
Staff member
I just got a new truck back in September but this is interesting.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Need to see the higher tow capacity versions and what the dually looks like but it seems to have the right features and capabilities.
No functioning prototypes and some fairly outrageous claims. A "base" model for 45k? Come on now, that barely gets you in the door with the batteries to support their claims.
Rivian will be the first EV truck on the market as they already have functioning models that demonstrate their claims. It's ugly as shit and why EV vehicles didnt take off many years ago. Nobody wants a car that looks like it came from the Jetsons.

No functioning prototypes and some fairly outrageous claims. A "base" model for 45k? Come on now, that barely gets you in the door with the batteries to support their claims.
Rivian will be the first EV truck on the market as they already have functioning models that demonstrate their claims. It's ugly as shit and why EV vehicles didnt take off many years ago. Nobody wants a car that looks like it came from the Jetsons.
The thing is, lots of people do want silly, futuristic-looking cars. Also - many people who drive pickups have no need to drive pickups (inb4 "BUT I GOT HOME DEPOT TWICE A YEAR!"), so they'll just be buying the new, hot EV.

As Tesla has demonstrated, a car company can operate in the red for many years and still be considered very successful. Rivian can push out its $45k trucks operating a loss just to get themselves established. If they can pick up some big corporate clients, then they will start to create a foothold, at least in certain sectors of the industry.

Plus, trucks these days are laughably expensive. Whenever I see someone driving a King Ranch F-150 or some other insane trim, all I can think to myself is, "Good lord, you could have bought a nice car for that money."

The thing is, lots of people do want silly, futuristic-looking cars. Also - many people who drive pickups have no need to drive pickups (inb4 "BUT I GOT HOME DEPOT TWICE A YEAR!"), so they'll just be buying the new, hot EV.

As Tesla has demonstrated, a car company can operate in the red for many years and still be considered very successful. Rivian can push out its $45k trucks operating a loss just to get themselves established. If they can pick up some big corporate clients, then they will start to create a foothold, at least in certain sectors of the industry.

Plus, trucks these days are laughably expensive. Whenever I see someone driving a King Ranch F-150 or some other insane trim, all I can think to myself is, "Good lord, you could have bought a nice car for that money."
Trucks are basically nice cars with a pickup bed on the back of them nowadays.

With worse wind resistance, less passenger/cargo room, and overall significantly worse fuel efficiency. I'm one of those firmly in the camp of, "Most people who buy trucks do not need them and should not buy them."
Most people do not need 600hp European sports cars either. To each their own. As an aside, I do not like what pickup trucks have become.

Most people do not need 600hp European sports cars either. To each their own. As an aside, I do not like what pickup trucks have become.
Agree with that, too. Now that we've got to the point that cars need AWD just to keep up with the enormous HP numbers, it's just getting silly. People buy what they can, not at all what they need or what is best suited to them.

Sadly, no one makes a 300-350hp, manual, RWD station wagon or hatchback. I'm keeping my 135i coupe because it fits almost of all of those, but it would be so much better with the practicality that a hatch would provide.

Why do you care what people spend their money on for a truck? For what it’s worth... trucks of those trim levels far exceeds most luxury in many many cars. They also tend to have more room, and hold just as many people outside of a full-size suv like a suburban or expedition.

With worse wind resistance, less passenger/cargo room, and overall significantly worse fuel efficiency. I'm one of those firmly in the camp of, "Most people who buy trucks do not need them and should not buy them."
Where am I supposed to hang my truck nuts?

Thinking about getting rid of my 2001 IS300 that hasn’t been started in over a year and buying a used Tacoma for hunting, biannual Home Depot hauls, and listening to country music.

Change my mind? I’m most worried about gettin my the Lexus running and sellable.