ITT: Infusions

Help Support Talkbeer:

Mind posting in order from favorite to least?
Sure. I did all sorts of mason jars of all sorts of variety. I added sugar to a few, but it wasn't necessary. There was plenty of residual sugar in all the fruits infused into the final product. Sugar just made it syrupy. I did them all for two weeks. I kept some longer, but they didn't get and better/worse. Pineapple was by far the worst. Apparently it has some enzyme that turns it gross. Mango was also not good. Blackberry and raspberry were messy by the time they were done because you have to cut the fruit, but both tasted good. Blueberry was really good, and strawberry was fantastic IMO. You can drink it like it's fucking fruit juice. Dangerous. I do usually prefer strawberries, so it didn't surprise me. Cheesecloth to strain. I froze the fruit after I was done to use for booze smoothies. We tried it and you have to add a lot of fresh fruit to the smoothie to make it drinkable. All of the frozen fruit just tastes like gross vodka.

Story time:

I was at a party last summer drinking some jungle juice when the cooler/jug started running low. I was on cup 5 or 6 in 20 minutes. I was just starting to feel the effects. The host of the party came by and squeezed 2 gallons of clear alcohol into it. When I say "squeezed" that should tell you the grade of alcohol used. I promptly set my cup down and walked over to the couch and watched the party spin around me for the next 2 hours.

Jungle Juice: Not Even Once.

Went to a heaven and hell party. To get outa heaven you had to drink a solo cup of juice that was all their leftover booze and containers of dry koolaid pre-mix. I was drunk by the time I finished all the requirements to get to heaven. They had a beer bong that started and heaven and wrapped down the staircase to purgatory. Gave my cup to a friend and told him to pour it in after I went and made sure the valve on the bottom was closed. Friend decides it would be a good idea to pour his cup in with mine. 32oz of koolaid flavored liquor later I'm trying open the hood of a parked and not running jeep telling my friends its running lean and we need to fix it.

Went to a heaven and hell party. To get outa heaven you had to drink a solo cup of juice that was all their leftover booze and containers of dry koolaid pre-mix. I was drunk by the time I finished all the requirements to get to heaven. They had a beer bong that started and heaven and wrapped down the staircase to purgatory. Gave my cup to a friend and told him to pour it in after I went and made sure the valve on the bottom was closed. Friend decides it would be a good idea to pour his cup in with mine. 32oz of koolaid flavored liquor later I'm trying open the hood of a parked and not running jeep telling my friends its running lean and we need to fix it.
Funny... My jeep runs rich.

Anyone wash bacon drippings with bourbon? Have used about 10 ounces of bourbon now to infuse some bacon flavor. No prior experience doing this, but so far, very interesting results.

Anyone wash bacon drippings with bourbon? Have used about 10 ounces of bourbon now to infuse some bacon flavor. No prior experience doing this, but so far, very interesting results.
The other day, I noted in the bacon thread about dunking some wicked awesome bacon into a mixture of Eagle Rare and Maple Syrup. It was delicious. I also deglazed my skillet with some bourbon and it integrated the flavor nicely with the bacon fat. Now I have a bowl of bacon fat with delicious bourbon notes. I'll be using it to "butter" the toast on my reubens and give some good flavor to my chocolate chip cookies and cornbread!

Sure. I did all sorts of mason jars of all sorts of variety. I added sugar to a few, but it wasn't necessary. There was plenty of residual sugar in all the fruits infused into the final product. Sugar just made it syrupy. I did them all for two weeks. I kept some longer, but they didn't get and better/worse. Pineapple was by far the worst. Apparently it has some enzyme that turns it gross. Mango was also not good. Blackberry and raspberry were messy by the time they were done because you have to cut the fruit, but both tasted good. Blueberry was really good, and strawberry was fantastic IMO. You can drink it like it's fucking fruit juice. Dangerous. I do usually prefer strawberries, so it didn't surprise me. Cheesecloth to strain. I froze the fruit after I was done to use for booze smoothies. We tried it and you have to add a lot of fresh fruit to the smoothie to make it drinkable. All of the frozen fruit just tastes like gross vodka.
Have you tried using different vodkas? Is cheaper better? Potato better?

Have you tried using different vodkas? Is cheaper better? Potato better?
ok, so. My favorite vodka is Tito's and it is the one I originally used in this experiment. It's a potato vodka made in Texas and is about $20 for a 750mL. It's clean with minimal alcohol ester and very little mineral aroma. It's extremely high rated and yielded a great product. After awhile, I switched over to plain old Smirnoff just because it's half the price and it was really difficult telling the difference after infusion. I'd like to think I could pick out each vodka, but after all the fruit addition, it wasn't too easy. I have yet to try any infusions with really cheap vodka just because I fear I'll be stuck with some shitty results.

off topic a bit... anyone ever go beyond theory on the "cheap vodka + Brita filter = better vodka" equation?

Need help!!! So I have a really good friend that has everything. 2 years ago for my buddy's birthday I decided to make him a gift. I bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon and I infused it with Dried Figs and Vannilla Bean. Needless to say he was over the top happy. Even his wife enjoyed it. Last year I did the same thing but I used Amarena Cherries. Same thing happened, he loved it. This year I'm trying to really step my game up. That is where I need the help. I'm thinking about yesting some oranges, and letting that sit for 2 weeks. Strain and then wash in Duck Fat. Is this a good idea, if not what do you got?

Latest posts