Quantcast

ITT: Pocket knives

Help Support Talkbeer:

Not sure what your needs are but i found this thing to be great as a edc for light to med duty.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Launch-4-Automatic-Knife-1--34416
I'm mainly looking for light everyday use, but also a knife that can double as something to take camping/hiking. As my kids get older, many camping trips will occur.

I've really liked the benchmade knives that I've seen online. I'm kind of leaning in that direction.

I also like the Spyderco Manix 2 or PM 2.

Dang, this rabbit hole goes deep.

Noob question -

Would I regret buying something like the Mini-Griptillian or PM3?

It seems like for my light everyday use, the smaller size and blade is more practical. But is it really that much of a difference? WIll I regret it when I want something more substantial for outdoor use?

Noob question -

Would I regret buying something like the Mini-Griptillian or PM3?

It seems like for my light everyday use, the smaller size and blade is more practical. But is it really that much of a difference? WIll I regret it when I want something more substantial for outdoor use?
I'd go with the full size versions. I have bigger hands and found those to be more comfortable. I think those are both 3.5" blades for the full size, great for EDC. My brother has taken his Griptilian hiking/camping and it's worked fine for him. He know carries a Spyderco Stretch - another one that's worth looking at. Although in my opinion nothing beats a good fixed blade for most camping chores.

Good to see some discussion going on in this thread. My collection has changed drastically over the last few months. Mainly only Shirogorov knives and I do have a Emerson CQC-15 as my dedicated user for work/outdoor stuff. I'll have to get an updated picture to post.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. It was a great reminder of how much I wanted a nice ECR knife. I found a little spyderco years ago, and loved having that thing on me. I think it got confiscated at an airport, and I have forgotten to replace it.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I just ordered this bad boy (PM 2) and should get it next week.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. It was a great reminder of how much I wanted a nice ECR knife. I found a little spyderco years ago, and loved having that thing on me. I think it got confiscated at an airport, and I have forgotten to replace it.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I just ordered this bad boy (PM 2) and should get it next week.

Where'd you order it from?

Glad this thread got bumped, I love reading it.
Been carrying this benchmade 940 for a little while, I really like the thin, but sturdy profile. Doesn't take up to much pocket space

But if I'm going out tho do something like camping or helping out on my parents ranch I usually take the griptillian with me.

One knife that I was super excited to come out was the spyderco brad southard flipper. I bought it as soon as it came out and I sold it just as quick. I hated that knife! The way it rode in my pocket I would always hit the flipper and it would open. I can't tell you how many times I shoved my hand into a opened blade, that knife cut the shit outta me.

I'd go with the full size versions. I have bigger hands and found those to be more comfortable. I think those are both 3.5" blades for the full size, great for EDC. My brother has taken his Griptilian hiking/camping and it's worked fine for him. He know carries a Spyderco Stretch - another one that's worth looking at. Although in my opinion nothing beats a good fixed blade for most camping chores.

Good to see some discussion going on in this thread. My collection has changed drastically over the last few months. Mainly only Shirogorov knives and I do have a Emerson CQC-15 as my dedicated user for work/outdoor stuff. I'll have to get an updated picture to post.
Stretch has slowly taken oven my pocket space lately. I have the superblue steel version and had a hell of a time getting it sharp freehand on a stone so I usually grabbed something in VG-10 instead since I can put great edges on them. My sharpening skills have finally gotten to the point I can put a similar edge on the Stretch and it's easily one of my favorites now. Ergos are fantastic and it's a joy to use! I've even given away a couple Stretches, highly recommended.

Haven't added anything new to the stable in a while...that should all be changing in the next day or two!:cool: Been using my Endura a bunch this year for projects around the house and have really grown to enjoy such a large knife. Haven't been following the knife forums closely and searched "Spyderco Military M4"on a whim on Wednesday night due to never having owned a Military and my weak spot for carbon steels. Whaddya know, there's an updated Military with M4 and GORGEOUS natural G10 scales available as a sprint! Mail carrier can't come soon enough, friggin' hype!

Latest posts