ITT smokers, no not you ObiWanKushnobi LYMI (The BBQ and smoked meats thread)

Help Support Talkbeer:

What do people use for wood when they smoke? Im thinking about getting some for a relative for Christmas, but thought I should ask to see if anyone has a good spot online for buying wood. I know you can get Mesquite and Hickory, but I thought weird woods might be cool too, lemon wood, grapefruit wood, &c....

What do people use for wood when they smoke? Im thinking about getting some for a relative for Christmas, but thought I should ask to see if anyone has a good spot online for buying wood. I know you can get Mesquite and Hickory, but I thought weird woods might be cool too, lemon wood, grapefruit wood, &c....
Typically depends on what meat you are planning on smoking. The fruited woods tend to be better for poultry (cherry, apple, etc.). Brisket, ribs, pork butt are your hickory, mesquite woods. Not sure about lemon, grapefruit as I have never heard of that before. As long as it's a properly dried hardwood you should be okay.

Typically depends on what meat you are planning on smoking. The fruited woods tend to be better for poultry (cherry, apple, etc.). Brisket, ribs, pork butt are your hickory, mesquite woods. Not sure about lemon, grapefruit as I have never heard of that before. As long as it's a properly dried hardwood you should be okay.
Isn't applewood and pork a pretty common combo too?

It is! I tend to use applewood with pork belly, not the larger cuts (like butt or ribs)
I've been using a lot of pecan for the larger cuts.

I found bourbon barrel / wine barrel to be gimmicky. Alder is on my short list now that it's cold enough to smoke salmon.

It's coming along nicely!! My barrel smoker is Almost done!

Prep/Gamefacing:

Tapping the bands and marking the door:

Cut the top and put on hinges:

Cut straps for door and cut door:
What is the risk of that catching on fire? Looks good though.

So I decided to smoke something for our tasting this past Sunday. Pork belly seemed about right.

Started by toasting some star anise, cinnamon, peppercorns, fennel seed;

Crushed and added those into a brine (water, salt, sugar) and threw in some fresh garlic. Brought to boil to dissolve;

I added the pork belly to a stockpot with the brine solution on Friday to give it about 48 hours to 'cure'.

I made my own char siu glaze by reducing a bunch of stuff down to proper thickness (soy, hoisin, sriracha, etc).

I smoked it for about 4 hours at 200F on cherry chips. Added the glaze and smoked for another 1.5 hours at 250F until internal temp was 173F. And there ya go!

I actually made this to be used in Banh Mi sandwiches. I had bolillo rolls, cilantro, pickled carrots and daikon, cucumbers, sauce and so forth. No pic of sandwich as was too busy chowing down.

So I decided to smoke something for our tasting this past Sunday. Pork belly seemed about right.

Started by toasting some star anise, cinnamon, peppercorns, fennel seed;

Crushed and added those into a brine (water, salt, sugar) and threw in some fresh garlic. Brought to boil to dissolve;

I added the pork belly to a stockpot with the brine solution on Friday to give it about 48 hours to 'cure'.

I made my own char siu glaze by reducing a bunch of stuff down to proper thickness (soy, hoisin, sriracha, etc).

I smoked it for about 4 hours at 200F on cherry chips. Added the glaze and smoked for another 1.5 hours at 250F until internal temp was 173F. And there ya go!

I actually made this to be used in Banh Mi sandwiches. I had bolillo rolls, cilantro, pickled carrots and daikon, cucumbers, sauce and so forth. No pic of sandwich as was too busy chowing down.

I'll be in Washington this weekend, can I come over for dinner?

Smoked turkey is the bomb...

Serve it with some home made sage stuffing, brown beer gravy made with Short's Bellaire brown, and some mashed potatoes. Great stick to your bones meal.

That tri-tip above looked pretty tasty.

Some smoked prime rib we did late last year for a little get together. We have a huge Oyler and use it commercially...can hold up to 700 lbs of meat. Most we've ever had it in would be about 400. Burn all local oak, about a cord every three weeks.

Latest posts