Jersey City reccomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timos1

Reaction score
I will be in Jersey City @ the Westin this Friday and Saturday. Does anyone have some recommendations on a close by place to have dinner and some good beer?
TIA

-Tim

I will be in Jersey City @ the Westin this Friday and Saturday. Does anyone have some recommendations on a close by place to have dinner and some good beer?
TIA

-Tim

Good dinner and beer? Skinner's Loft.
Best dinner? Thirty Acres
Best beer? Barcade

That being said these are all about a 15 minute walk from the Westin (tack on 5 minutes for Thirty Acres). The Westin is down by Newport and there's pretty much nothing in that area as far as bar/restaurants go sorry to say.

Fire and Oak is right there and supposed to be alright. Can't recommend as I've never been

TIA

-Tim
Tim, I moved this into the Mid-Atlantic Regional Sub-forum, you'll get better responses here.

Cheers!

Hey thanks, wasnt quite sure where to post. Those places look great gregkoko , thank you

HopsScotch has a pretty extensive tap list. It's pricier and supports the more sports bar oriented crowd. good selection overall. Average sportsbar grub. You could always dive out for a bit and hit up the Five Guys next door.
City Diner is a very strange place, but they are the only joint in town that has a constant flow of Kane beers. The other day they had Head High and Bourbon Drift Line. Only go in there for a Kane brew, as the ambience is weird; i'm not sure what they are over there. Never ate there, prob never will.
Iron Monkey has another extensive list and often has some real gems for the area. They had WC Moo-Hoo the other day. Food is average American pub ****.
The above places will be in your immediate area.

With a bit of a hike, you'll find:
Barcade is gonna be your funhouse stop: old school arcades and damn fine locals on draft. Pannini and other bites, like pickles, deviled eggs, etc.
If you want a dive bar with a few drinkable options, cheap bourbon, and really good time, Lucky's or Lucky 7's is the ****. Sandwiches and rando bites, bbq menu. Not really a spot like the others, but it's always a good time in there.

+1 on Thirty Acres for food, but a good meal will cost you 30+ on food alone. Beer selection is scant and overpriced as F. But it is phenomenal for the eating.

If I were you, and assuming you dig Indian food and/or Mexican and feel like walking a bit, go up to Grove Street and hit up either Shadman for indian/paki takeout and/or Taqueria Downtown for taco takeout and walk over to Barcade for the munch and drink.
Otherwise, I think for your immediate area, you should down some Kane at City Diner and grab something on the pub side with some brew at either Iron Monkey or HopsScotch.

Hope this helps

Whatever you do, don't drink any IPAs at Iron Monkey. They'll sit on em for months. Also, I just dislike the owner so I steer people away. HopsScotch is closer to your hotel, but beers are definitely on the pricey side there.

Tacqueria hngggggggg, sometimes I miss living in JC

Whatever you do, don't drink any IPAs at Iron Monkey. They'll sit on em for months. Also, I just dislike the owner so I steer people away. HopsScotch is closer to your hotel, but beers are definitely on the pricey side there.

Tacqueria hngggggggg, sometimes I miss living in JC
agreed on the ipa stuff there, no doubt. Unless they are some newly released brews of which you actually know the schedule, ie nugget nectar, steer clear as gregkoko says.

Fire & Oak is real nice but expensive. Not a good value but convenient of course. We walked to Barcade friday night, it was quick nice walk spot on 15 minutes :). The beer was very good, we fell in love with the Love Stout, I enjoyed the Head High Kane as well, plus a couple others though I cant remember. We had dinner at Skinners Loft after that, only about 100 yards away. Great Meal, The lamb chop appetizer , after several beers at Barcade was , freakin amazing :) The steaks were good and the french fries too.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, Jersey City is a fun place. BTW bartender at the Westin showed us some cell phone videos of when the Seahawks stayed there for the superbowl...HOlly shiiii

Back