Kölsch in Köln

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexabull

Reaction score
Any suggestions? I will be spending an afternoon in Köln in a few weeks, would love to try some authentic Kölsch.

Thanks!

Any suggestions? I will be spending an afternoon in Köln in a few weeks, would love to try some authentic Kölsch.

Thanks!
Muhlen kölsch is my favorite by a long shot, though I've never visited. You should check out Gaffel just because it's right next to the Dom and a ton of fun; the beer also tastes so much better right at the source. I'd also recommend checking out Fruh and Peters. Both worth the stop for sure. Koln is a great city.

Muhlen kölsch is my favorite by a long shot, though I've never visited. You should check out Gaffel just because it's right next to the Dom and a ton of fun; the beer also tastes so much better right at the source. I'd also recommend checking out Fruh and Peters. Both worth the stop for sure. Koln is a great city.
Oh yeah, forgot about Gaffel. A bit touristy but cool nonetheless.

I agree on mühlen as the best, followed by päffgen and pfaffen, all three a short walk from the main train station/Dom to heumarkt and worlds better than gaffel or fruh, which I find sub par and very touristy; however, you are correct they are close to the Dom and can be fun.

As I mentioned in the other thread feel free to contact me w any questions or if you want to grab a beer or trade. As of today I'll be living in Bonn...Well if we finish packing:)

Cheers
Don

Hey Don,
I also live in Bonn, only been here about a month and a half. Would really enjoy grabbing a few brews and trading some notes on German (and other) beers sometime-let's connect.

I'm gonna spend the afternoon of November 26 in Koln to see a few sights and have some real Kolsch, so the above recommendations are extremely helpful.

The following day I'm going to spend 4-5 hours in Dortmund on the way to Hannover...does anyone have any similar recommendations for Dortmund? Looking to try some real Dortmunders and a nice lunch, in an area that's preferably walking distance from Dortmund Hbf. Danke schon!

Enjoy your time in Koln, Miamichael. I've really enjoyed the several places I've had Paffgen. One place I found recently that was a bit out of Altstadt but well worth the walk was Brauhaus K.A. Pütz (Engelbert Straße 67, 50674 Cologne, Germany). It's a great spot all around both in the beer and food sense with some true character. Try to hit it up if you can. Prost!

Enjoy your time in Koln, Miamichael. I've really enjoyed the several places I've had Paffgen. One place I found recently that was a bit out of Altstadt but well worth the walk was Brauhaus K.A. Pütz (Engelbert Straße 67, 50674 Cologne, Germany). It's a great spot all around both in the beer and food sense with some true character. Try to hit it up if you can. Prost!
Thanks, I will look this place up!

Ok here’s where I hit:

Früh was excellent and the food was really great for being high volume...the Jäegerschnitzel was a standout dish too. I went to the one at Köln Dom, or at least around the corner.

Sion was...not great. It’s worth trying I guess, but i was surprised at how incredibly boring and bland it was.

Mühlen was amazing, bright crisp and herbal, with just a touch more grain than Früh. Mühlen’s Mett (pork tartare) was absolutely ****ing incredible too.

Gaffel is also lovely but the maltiest of the bunch. Also, if you go to the one in the square by Dom there are creepy mannequins and they’ll serve you full glasses instead of Stanges if they realize you’re American.

Last edited:
We'll be in Koln coming up in April - just one day, though, and it's my fiance's birthday, at that. Looking for a casual, contemporary restaurant for dinner. Any suggestions? Reviews for Restaurant Belgischer Hof appear to match what I have in mind but I'm definitely open to other ideas!

We'll be in Koln coming up in April - just one day, though, and it's my fiance's birthday, at that. Looking for a casual, contemporary restaurant for dinner. Any suggestions? Reviews for Restaurant Belgischer Hof appear to match what I have in mind but I'm definitely open to other ideas!
Found this place by accident near our airbnb, it's a cool spot: https://www.wein-dine.de/

Back