Kuhnhenn summer solstice 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jb123

Reaction score
Any word on tap list and or bottles, less than a month away....I know it's kuhnhenn but just curious if anyone has inside knowledge.

Cheers

I was thinking about this yesterday, and thought they had posted something on FB about a month prior last year.

Bottles unnecessary, but a notice about SOMETHING.... ANYTHING..... would always be appreciated and likely not completely accurate by the time it happens.

1. Not sure how this "both locations" thing started but that's not the case.
2. The dates are June 20-21.
3. We're releasing 2 bottles: a mixed pre-packed 6-pack.
4. All information will be posted on our Facebook this week.
...but hey, it probably won't be accurate anyway, since it's Kuhnhenn, and all.;)

1. Not sure how this "both locations" thing started but that's not the case.
2. The dates are June 20-21.
3. We're releasing 2 bottles: a mixed pre-packed 6-pack.
4. All information will be posted on our Facebook this week.
...but hey, it probably won't be accurate anyway, since it's Kuhnhenn, and all.;)
Haha, boom.

If any of you are looking for BB4D or BBBW at the Solstice, was told at WEB that those will NOT be released then..Winter...

If any of you are looking for BB4D or BBBW at the Solstice, was told at WEB that those will NOT be released then..Winter...
Thanks for the heads up, Tommy. Wasn't expecting it.
I like the 2x3 prepacked releases. Straight forward and much faster.
I'm not that picky.... so long between any bottle releases so this begger won't be choosey.

Thanks for the heads up, Tommy. Wasn't expecting it.
I like the 2x3 prepacked releases. Straight forward and much faster.
I'm not that picky.... so long between any bottle releases so this begger won't be choosey.
Yeah, the prepacked release of the American Whiskey Stout and Michigan Mud was super easy.

The last pre-packaged release was a pleasant surprise both of price and how smoothly it went.

Now if only we could get back to Pre-2012 BBBW and BB4D availability. Perhaps someone can comment, any idea on the yield lately vs. what it was?

Holy **** it looks like I'm going to be in Detroit for this (the 21st). Any TBers want to meet up and also hit some other places (Schramm's, B Nektar, etc.)? Michigan, looking at you buddy. ;)
v6DGjdO.gif

I know its early, but if anyone is going to be there around 1pm on Friday I'll be the guy with one red shoe.

Join us in welcoming in the summer season on the (literally) longest day of the year!

Friday June 20:
Tent opens at 4:00pm with special release kegs and cellared drafts released throughout the night.
Detroit BBQ Company is providing food service throughout the evening.
Live music courtesy of Reggie Smith & The After Party!
Open til 2:00am.

Saturday June 21:
Tent opens at 11:00am with more special release drafts, including several firkins you've never had before!
Bottle release right at 11:00am. (Details below).
Yard games, music, more fun than you can possibly handle! Make your friends jealous, get here.
Open til 2:00am.

Bottle release details:
Bottle release beers include 4th Dementia Olde Ale (2013) and Solstice Stout (a 3-year barrel-aged blend of Solar Eclipse and 4D, rich and tasty at 16% abv).
We will be selling pre-packed 6-packs of the special release beers. You will not have the option to buy just one bottle. Per person purchasing limits will be announced in the coming days, but there is a super-limited amount of each available, so it won't be much per person.

If it's like the last release nope...have to buy the whole 6 pack. It did go a lot
Smoother than normal though....
I suppose I understand where they are coming from. On the other hand, I think of this way:

Do breweries actually have to do bottle releases the same day as parties anymore? I mean, 5 or 6 years ago, they were doing it to bring people in for the party, but I feel like with the quick growth of the scene, people are going to show up at the Solstice party anyways, because they have great tap offerings, and it's a great place to meet up with all the homies. Same goes for 4 Elf, etc. I'd still make the drive to Marshall even if they didn't offer BBP5th bottles, just for the slammin' tap list and outrageously fun party.

I suppose I understand where they are coming from. On the other hand, I think of this way:

Do breweries actually have to do bottle releases the same day as parties anymore? I mean, 5 or 6 years ago, they were doing it to bring people in for the party, but I feel like with the quick growth of the scene, people are going to show up at the Solstice party anyways, because they have great tap offerings, and it's a great place to meet up with all the homies. Same goes for 4 Elf, etc. I'd still make the drive to Marshall even if they didn't offer BBP5th bottles, just for the slammin' tap list and outrageously fun party.
I agree.....the craft beer scene is getting pretty crazy.

Last year at this, the good taps were going right from 10a (they opened an hour earlier last year). Any idea if that's gonna happen again, or is it gonna be more like winter where the "good stuff" doesn't go on until later in the day?

Last year at this, the good taps were going right from 10a (they opened an hour earlier last year). Any idea if that's gonna happen again, or is it gonna be more like winter where the "good stuff" doesn't go on until later in the day?
It's a crapshoot. Best bet is to be there when they open, but there's really no telling what they will have or when it will go on. On Saturday morning last year they had a bunch of nice "summer" beers on, including DWIPA (DRIPA w/ wheat) out in the tent.

People are better off just looking at this as a party where you never know what you might be able to drink.

It's a crapshoot. Best bet is to be there when they open, but there's really no telling what they will have or when it will go on. On Saturday morning last year they had a bunch of nice "summer" beers on, including DWIPA (DRIPA w/ wheat) out in the tent.

People are better off just looking at this as a party where you never know what you might be able to drink.

And that's what we'll likely do again, as it paid off well last year. Will be there Friday again, as Saturday seems to be more of a cluster due to the bottle release(s).

Those wheat beers in the tent last year were the best. It sucks balls I work til 3 each day and might not be able to obtain one of those 6 packs. also sucks i gave away a BB4D in a trade thinking I was gonna get more a month later, but oh well. The taps gonna banging. If anyone wants to hang out ill be the guy with a beard and glasses wearing a shirt. :) But really would like to say hey to some of yous.

EDIT - I have a Dark Heathen from last years Summer Solstice still. wondering if anyone has had one recently and can shed some light on how it is a year later.

Last edited:
Can someone please school me on Tenacious Cassis. I occasionally browse those beer selling sites in hopes that some day I will see a bottle of Stop Making Sense Eisbock but today I stumbled upon what I thought was an odd description for tenacious cassis:

2007 Tenacious Cassis (Kuhnhenn Brewing) 12oz (A special batch of "5th dementia old ale" that was overattenuated with high gravity ale yeast and then blended with cassis to add back body)

Is this beer really a variant of 5th dementia?

Back