LA/OC area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, LA & OC. Why shouldn't we have our own thread? (don't answer that)
  • Events
  • Releases
  • New breweries, brewpubs, etc.
  • Bottle shops, sales, etc.
  • Whatever else
Cheers!
Thread should be deleted for having too many different topics. I'll go ahead and report it.

But in all seriousness, it's about time we have an LA/OC thread. I get so jealous reading the San Diego thread. Let's see if we can keep this one nearly as active.

Hopefully the demand for Beachwood bottles has died down a bit, if the continued availability of SOAS is any indication. Or perhaps everyone else was as overwhelmed by the coffee as I was.

They have had 7 bottles of beer I already paid for for like 8 months. I'm tired of waiting for them to open again.
Bummer, you missed your window! They'd been open for a couple weeks until this note went up today. I went there twice--once right after they re-opened (everything was old & dusty but they still had some good stuff) and again after they had a chance to clean up and restock (picked up some Melrose and Enjoy By).

Bummer, you missed your window! They'd been open for a couple weeks until this note went up today. I went there twice--once right after they re-opened (everything was old & dusty but they still had some good stuff) and again after they had a chance to clean up and restock (picked up some Melrose and Enjoy By).

I know. I live in Sherman Oaks though ands its not always easy to make it over there.

Anyone going to this event? It's at the Queen Mary in LB on Sat. 8/2. The brewery line-up doesn't do anything for me, but the pictures of the food (from the SD event, maybe?) look AMAZING!!!

http://bigbiteevents.com/

2014_BBBF_Home-Page-Header-Image_41.jpg

I think they had it for sale for so long because they didn't kick more than a few cases into distribution. So limited area to get it from and people are still not hip to how amazing it is.

Hey LA/OC crew... anyone know whats up with that Bruery Mash & Coconut? I saw it on a site I follow, but they just posted the label and I haven't been able to find any info on release date/availability/etc

Smog City Brewing will be doing growler fills of their Black Currant Saison this Saturday. It's damn good, imo.

From their newsletter:

Black Currant Saison for Growlers!

We've been making Fruit Saisons pretty religiously over the last few months and been listening to your opinions and requests…one has been the constant hum for "growler fill" and as small batch releases, this has been difficult…until this weekend that is!

Black Currant Saison which made its debut and was a big hit at our Anniversary Event in May will be returning this Saturday (7/26) for growler fills and on tap for full pours and tastings.

Refreshingly tart this beer reminds us of a sour but without the wild yeast. Full fruit flavor without the sweet, this incredible fruit Saison will satisfy your summer cravings!

Limited quantity available, we'll be offering growler fills until we get down to 1 keg.

Fill'er up for $22 a Fill.

Smog City Brewing will be doing growler fills of their Black Currant Saison this Saturday. It's damn good, imo.

From their newsletter:

Black Currant Saison for Growlers!

We've been making Fruit Saisons pretty religiously over the last few months and been listening to your opinions and requests…one has been the constant hum for "growler fill" and as small batch releases, this has been difficult…until this weekend that is!

Black Currant Saison which made its debut and was a big hit at our Anniversary Event in May will be returning this Saturday (7/26) for growler fills and on tap for full pours and tastings.

Refreshingly tart this beer reminds us of a sour but without the wild yeast. Full fruit flavor without the sweet, this incredible fruit Saison will satisfy your summer cravings!

Limited quantity available, we'll be offering growler fills until we get down to 1 keg.

Fill'er up for $22 a Fill.
This hurts to say, but I have yet to visit their tasting room. Their hours of operation during the week are no good for me, unfortunately (unless they've recently changed).

Hey LA/OC crew... anyone know whats up with that Bruery Mash & Coconut? I saw it on a site I follow, but they just posted the label and I haven't been able to find any info on release date/availability/etc

It hasn't been announced when allocations for that will go on sale. It might be next month though as info keeps popping up. Looking forward to trying this. Enjoyed both the mash beers last year.

From BeerPaperLA:

Region's Most Decorated Brewer to Join LA's Largest Craft Brewery in September

After several days of rumors and speculation, Tony Yanow has announced in an open letter that TAPS Fish House and Brewery Brewmaster, Victor Novak, will be joining the Golden Road Brewing team beginning on September 2nd in a move that will no doubt create shockwaves in the Greater Los Angeles craft beer community.

Initially, Novak will serve as Head Brewer working with Brewmaster Jesse Houck (who last year joined Golden Road from Drake’s Brewing).

But, according to Yanow, long term plans call for Golden Road to open a new, smaller facility where Novak will serve as Brewmaster.

See the full article

From BeerPaperLA:

After several days of rumors and speculation, Tony Yanow has announced in an open letter that TAPS Fish House and Brewery Brewmaster, Victor Novak, will be joining the Golden Road Brewing team beginning on September 2nd in a move that will no doubt create shockwaves in the Greater Los Angeles craft beer community.

Initially, Novak will serve as Head Brewer working with Brewmaster Jesse Houck (who last year joined Golden Road from Drake’s Brewing).

But, according to Yanow, long term plans call for Golden Road to open a new, smaller facility where Novak will serve as Brewmaster.

See the full article

Interesting. I wonder if this will affect the Remy release.

I'm pretty sure this just means that getting Remy this next release will be ****ing bonkers with the notion of that's it.

That...or Novak has the rights to Remy (ala Tod Mott & KtG) and will use Golden Road's deep pockets to release Remy on a larger scale creating an EVEN BIGGER CLUSTER**** of a release.

From BeerPaperLA:

See the full article

My first thought is that Golden Road is starting a Barreling program. Golden Road seems hell bent on being successful.

I hope they succeed. The more great breweries out here the better.

Hah... That's a great way to phrase it. It's like, they're ALMOST awesome...but haven't quite made it to that level yet.

I didn't mean to sound negative. I like Golden Road a lot. Their beers have gotten better by leaps and bounds over the last couple of years and Tony's Darts Away is one of my favorite beer spots.

I more meant that Los Angeles needs a powerhouse brewery to be the face of LA beer scene and it looks like Golden Road is going to be the one to do it. Adding Jesse Houck made them drinkable. Novak should make them respectable nationwide

Mohawk Bend 3rd Anniversary Party - Weds 8/6 at 12pm

10371465_738112996247688_2345033444722939228_n.jpg

For those without Facebook (or who don't like opening links)...

Can you believe it's been three years since we first opened our doors here in Echo Park? It's been a pleasure being in this vibrant pocket of Los Angeles and to celebrate our 3rd Anniversary (and many more to come), we have lined up a few special treats for you all to enjoy.

Join us for our official Anniversary Party on Wednesday, August 6th or pop in all month long and get a taste of the goodies we have in store for you:

The Beer: This year, we brewed another collaboration with our sister company Golden Road Brewing. MoHop is a vibrant India Pale Lager generously dosed with hops from the southern hemisphere. This 6.5% IPL features a beautiful blend of Mosaic, Motueka, and Equinox to bring you a fruity brew with a nice hop bite.

The Cocktails: Our Bar Director Lauren Reyes has teamed up with Beer Buyer Lauren O'Neill for some Barrel-Aged fun. In addition to a Barrel-Aged Cocktail made specially for our anniversary, we will also have the barrel-aged version of our 2nd Anniversary ale, One Hundred & Two aged in white wine barrels!

The Art: Our Ramona Room will house a collection of local art curated by Mohawk Bend family member Donovan Aste ft. Mia Rodriquez, Adam Roth, Lyle Wessles, and Mike Jasorka. ** Opening Reception will be held Aug. 6th from 5:30-7:30. **

Stay tuned for more details.
Follow us on Instagram & Twitter (at) MohawkLA and tag your photos w/ #MB3rd!

LA/San Bernardino folks, I have to work in Hesperia next week (lucky me) and am wanting to stay elsewhere, but still be close. I think my two best options would be Rancho Cucamunga (Slaters 50/50) or Redlands (Hangar 24 and Ritual). Thoughts on the better option?

Last edited:
Smog City's The Nothing is hitting bottle shops this week. Just picked up a bottle from Ramirez Beverage Center for $10.99 (ouch, I know, but that's going to be standard +/- a buck for this stuff). Also saw it posted at 3Ten Liquor.

From El Segundo Brewing Co's FB page:
"IT'S HERE!! Bottles available in the taproom tonight, release party this Saturday!"

10352893_756706947704960_7604734445792452261_n.jpg

I really loved their Amarillo Pale Ale so this one has me really excited. I asked my wife to pick me up a couple bottles on her way home from work (she works 5 mins. away)--AND SHE DID!!! I'm starting to think she loves me.

Back