Lambic Discussion Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Yeah gotta figure out who distributes Shelton in your area. Suck their dick for information.
And pray that Shelton isn't exacting vengeance on said distributor for something that happened years (decades?) earlier, resulting in no / minimal product ending up in the state much less on a retail shelf. I've simply given up :: sigh ::

In VA for example some issue with the franchised distributor "Hop & Wine" has resulted in no 3F or Cantillon making it to retail, at all. ZERO. There's some kind of backdoor deal with NRG (Churchkey group) because they will occasionally have bottles (as will very occasionally Pizza Paradiso) but that's the extent of Shelton in VA.

Drives me nuts to see places like Oregon where they are wheeling pallets of 3F into stores, while in VA in ~9yrs of looking I've seen 3F on the shelf a grand total of zero times. Not even one time have I seen a 3F bottle on a shelf. In DC it's a similar story where they funnel all of the lambic through NRG's The Sovereign, who have a back library of 4 pages in the menu of 3F that is going no where fast, and yet only a few random specialty stores in DC will have 3F, at super high prices I'm unwilling to pay.

That sure is a nice Lambic portfolio ya'll got, I sure would like a chance to by them at retail literally one time ever.... no huh? Okay.

And pray that Shelton isn't exacting vengeance on said distributor for something that happened years (decades?) earlier, resulting in no / minimal product ending up in the state much less on a retail shelf. I've simply given up :: sigh ::

In VA for example some issue with the franchised distributor "Hop & Wine" has resulted in no 3F or Cantillon making it to retail, at all. ZERO. There's some kind of backdoor deal with NRG (Churchkey group) because they will occasionally have bottles (as will very occasionally Pizza Paradiso) but that's the extent of Shelton in VA.

Drives me nuts to see places like Oregon where they are wheeling pallets of 3F into stores, while in VA in ~9yrs of looking I've seen 3F on the shelf a grand total of zero times. Not even one time have I seen a 3F bottle on a shelf. In DC it's a similar story where they funnel all of the lambic through NRG's The Sovereign, who have a back library of 4 pages in the menu of 3F that is going no where fast, and yet only a few random specialty stores in DC will have 3F, at super high prices I'm unwilling to pay.

That sure is a nice Lambic portfolio ya'll got, I sure would like a chance to by them at retail literally one time ever.... no huh? Okay.
You should come to MN. Shelton left in 2012 so we actually get nothing, no bars get it, no stores get it. We have girardin and Tilquin though which works.

You should come to MN. Shelton left in 2012 so we actually get nothing, no bars get it, no stores get it. We have girardin and Tilquin though which works.
I hear you. To be clear like an A&G 375 would be $49- $59 both at the bar that gets them and the stores with secondary pricing, so in a lot of ways they may as well not have them since there's zero chance I'm paying that ($149 for Hommage, $39.99 'loon guezue 375, etc).

Here too there's ample Hannsens's/ Boon / Girardin and tons of types of Tilquin at correct price (which is the main brand I too buy and age) which helps, but again reinforces that it's not some insane demand, rather seemingly irrational Shelton spite.

You'd think people like Mikkeller, Prairie, Anchorage, Jolly Pumpkin would like to be with an Importer/ Supplier who doesn't intentionally not do business with their distributor partners in entire states, but I guess not. It really makes no sense at all to me considering these are brands (as well as all the small import stuff) don't seem like they are flying off the shelf and I never see any of these brands despite living in one of the highest income areas in the country (NoVA / DC). It's strange to me but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I have no access to these lambics - at least I'm not wasting time hunting and coming up empty handed.

Mikrobial

Premium Supporter
Contributor
I happen to have incredibly intimate knowledge of this particular situation... All I am going to say is Hop&Wine A) Is a distributor without high morals or discern for product integrity B) They have been off and on with Shelton at various points and I don't blame Shelton Bros for not giving them the best product C) Shouldn't be supported if avoidable IMO.

This "backdoor" deal you speak of is merely Neighborhood Restaurant Group exercising the their purchasing power in the wild west of DC beverage laws. They purchase the beer directly from Shelton and don't need a distributor in the middle which means higher margins and more access. NRG happens to be the second or third largest account for Shelton in the country. Someone should let ABRA know that NRG moves alcoholic beverages between their various businesses illegally, also.

Your best bet is to go into DC and get releases at Craft Beer Cellar on H St. NE for most lambic. Sucks there isn't good Shelton distro in VA.

I happen to have incredibly intimate knowledge of this particular situation... All I am going to say is Hop&Wine
Word.

I dislike supporting NRG because I have had some *not just bad but downright * disrespectful service in their establishments, not just one or two times but systematically at all outlets in both DC and VA. They're fucking assholes.

Every single time I give them another chance I'll sit down at the bar for 10min and "inconvenience" the bartender for a menu - never get waters - finally get a drink after 20min (mind you a draft pour not some shit they have to drive to Greg's house to find)- never get the chance to order a second - after trying to get a bill for 25min be tempted to walk out on the check because fuck these guys and clearly no one is even aware I'm sitting at the bar. 100% of the time I have gone to The Soveriegn I have gotten that type of service, and the coolers overflowing with every 3F bottle in the city does not help my frustration. Churchkey is even worse, if you can believe that.

Hubris to the max. Donkey ass food. Servers who all likely have personality disorders. It's annoying that such dickheads are the only ones who get the good Shelton stuff near me. /blog

Some tasting notes :

The aroma and taste resembles a lot like a Lambic d'Aunis, but less peppery.
Low to no carbonation.
The Grenache noir grape with its typical rosé wine flavour is very well balanced in this blend, with a very subtle acidity.
Some tarte cherries in the aftertaste.
Really smooth and mellow with great aging potential.
It's actually too early to open this bottle, but I was too curious and couldn't resist.
Glad I cracked it open because it's excellent! 👌

SeaWatchman and .info on the new Lambiek Fabriek Natur-Elle? What are the differences between Brett-Elle and Natur-Elle? Just organic grain lambic barrels for the blends? At this point are they buying any off-site lambic wort or strictly working off what they brew in-house? As always, any info appreciated. Thanks!
The Natur-Elle has lambic whose ingredients all originated from organic sources. If you visit the brewery there are some barrels marked "B" for "biologique" which is organic. They are mostly brewing in house, but I believe they and 3F have swapped some wort in the last season as well! I'll dig up my photo of their B barrel(s) and post it when I get a chance!

Latest posts