Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old IPAs)

Help Support Talkbeer:

A thread to commemorate the palate wreckers, triple-digit IBU hop bombs and ruthlessly homered regional "Pliney killers" [sic] of yesteryear that have since faded from the craft beer discourse.

I'll start off with one that I almost certainly called my desert island beer back in 2011: Alpine Bad Boy.

Tite. (photo stolen from evilc)

This beer ruled. For all I know it may continue to rule, but after having tried the Green Flash-era Nelson and Hoppy Birthday I had pretty much sworn off trying anything else. In either case this beer and every other beer that was at one time or another framed in contrast to Pliny the Elder in a petty beer forum argument is a total dinosaur with more in common with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale than the modern haze can.

Last edited:

amk

OG Alpine Nelson was my desert island beer. It's one of the first beers that blew my mind when I moved to San Diego 7 years ago. As goofy as it is, I setup a Google calendar reminder for fresh bottles/batches when Alpine was regularly producing Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness on a regular schedule. I still get those reminders...

A thread to commemorate the palate wreckers, triple-digit IBU hop bombs and ruthlessly homered regional "Pliney killers" [sic] of yesteryear that have since faded from the craft beer discourse.

I'll start off with one that I almost certainly called my desert island beer back in 2011: Alpine Bad Boy.

Tite. (photo stolen from evilc)

This beer ruled. For all I know it may continue to rule, but after having tried the Green Flash-era Nelson and Hoppy Birthday I had pretty much sworn off trying anything else. In either case this beer and every other beer that was at one time or another framed in contrast to Pliny the Elder in a petty beer forum argument is a total dinosaur with more in common with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale than the modern haze can.

kern citra still kicking. how about hopslam, member the yearly freak out about that guy.
Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 11.42.16 AM.png

Back in I'm pretty sure 2012, maybe 2011, some friends and I tried to get all of BA's Top 250 list and these first 2 posts are 2 of the 28 I never got to. Is Kern Citra distributed now??

This beer was fantastic in 2010 or so. I was so excited when I’d go home to Philly because it would occasionally be on the shelf.
For much of my time in Syracuse, Ithaca Beer Co was THE best spot nearby. Flower Power was the one turd that could pull something in a trade. Agree that 2010 was definitely in the sweet spot. When I left Upstate in 2017 I wouldn't even get it fresh at the brewery if I was popping in for a pint and a bite after a hike. Man, those Chief years were the best.

KevSal

Supremium Porter
View attachment 7129

Back in I'm pretty sure 2012, maybe 2011, some friends and I tried to get all of BA's Top 250 list and these first 2 posts are 2 of the 28 I never got to. Is Kern Citra distributed now??
hill farmstead Nor ftw! :D

some of those you might still be able to get. stone irs? blighs, drie og? you must have ran into those guys since yea

sounds like kern is doing some distro down south, hasn’t made it up here, got the hook up from BigFrank, but their other cans make it up this way

So are the Alpine beers still totally borked?
Bought some Duet cans on a whim since it was only three weeks old or so but it is not the same. I thought the draft Nelson they did right after Green Flash purchased them was pretty good but once it hit six packs it was meh. I've had some good Windows Up on draft and one good sixer of Duet in bottles but I've been pretty consistently let down by "Alpine" beers. Growlers and bombers from the old brewery used to be so good.

Bought some Duet cans on a whim since it was only three weeks old or so but it is not the same. I thought the draft Nelson they did right after Green Flash purchased them was pretty good but once it hit six packs it was meh. I've had some good Windows Up on draft and one good sixer of Duet in bottles but I've been pretty consistently let down by "Alpine" beers. Growlers and bombers from the old brewery used to be so good.
This is sad. Green Flash shits the bed and their only enduring achievement is ruining Alpine.

Latest posts