Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old IPAs)

Help Support Talkbeer:

This came out right around the time that all the attention shifted from WCIPA to haze, during that brief period when the popular style was non-hazy juice IPAs. It was considered sort of borderline almost-haze at the time IIRC but it has always been labeled a WCIPA by Surly. Still bangs, I get it at the taproom fairly regularly. Might need to grab a four pack if I can find it fresh.

I remember Born Yesterday caused a huge commotion when it came out the first time like 5 years ago. Same with Lagunitas Sucks when it first dropped in like what 2011? I liked it when it was seasonal, let me know it was fresh
Man, I remember the pre-quart sixers of Sucks when they dropped in Boston (2012). They were like 2 weeks old and easily one of the best beers I'd ever had.

Man, I remember the pre-quart sixers of Sucks when they dropped in Boston (2012). They were like 2 weeks old and easily one of the best beers I'd ever had.
Agreed, Sucks in that 2012-2014 period before the quart bottles was one of the best IPAs I can recall from that time, and so incredibly easy to get. A big group of my friends and I killed an entire sixtel of it at the local dive bar one evening shortly after it had been released, just downing one pint after another.

Agreed, Sucks in that 2012-2014 period before the quart bottles was one of the best IPAs I can recall from that time, and so incredibly easy to get. A big group of my friends and I killed an entire sixtel of it at the local dive bar one evening shortly after it had been released, just downing one pint after another.

When it first hit Co I bought 2 cases the morning it was here. Like 2 weeks old. Delicous.

I feel like TG was the very last brewery to have big IPA hype right before the haze craze took over. Sue, Golden Nugget, Light Speed, Pompeii, Sosus, Zeelander, etc. were all bangers. Some of them have been canned (and aren't as good as before) but when bombers of Zeelanger or Light Speed hit stores they are still great.

I posted about NB in the sour thread and it reminded me of this one:

I gave all the credit for this beer being awesome to Alpine. It was only around for a few months starting in like July/August of 2012. It was in bombers and I drank a lot of it, each time lamenting the fact that it was a limited release.

Last edited:

I gave all the credit for this beer being awesome to Alpine. It was only around for a few months starting in like July/August of 2012. It was in bombers and I drank a lot of it, each time lamenting the fact that it was a limited release.

I scoured places buying as much of that beer as I possibly could.

What a cool thread. The beer that really got me into craft was 3 Floyds Dreadnaught. I couldn't believe something could be that flavorful and was shocked when I first saw the ABV. Have fond memories of drinking growlers of that from the source back in the day.

Keene Idea was another one that just blew my mind. Not sure if that one was ever bottled or not, but man was it good.

(Link to media)

That beer was awesome.

What a cool thread. The beer that really got me into craft was 3 Floyds Dreadnaught. I couldn't believe something could be that flavorful and was shocked when I first saw the ABV. Have fond memories of drinking growlers of that from the source back in the day.

Keene Idea was another one that just blew my mind. Not sure if that one was ever bottled or not, but man was it good.

(Link to media)
Not bottled, but it does show up about 1x year. One of the very few Alpine beers that are still worth anything

Damn! Forgot about that one. It was released just when NB started distributing to Michigan and I remember drink a shit ton of it.

Latest posts