Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: "Sours")

Help Support Talkbeer:

A thread to commemorate the enamel peelers, brett bombs and ruthlessly homered regional sours of yesteryear that have since faded from the craft beer discourse.

I'll start this off with a series that needs no introduction: Upland Lambics!

This series had everything:
  • VERY sour
  • Sold via online lottery (.rar-est)
  • Multiple flavors to collect
  • "Modeled" after real lambic
  • From Indiana
I remember a mega-tasting at (I think) dvelcich's place for the full horizontal after Kiwi and Persimmon were first re-brewed. Only a few gushers that day, but the ones that did gush were absolute geysers. The oldest bottle of the bunch, Cherry, was too sour for most of us to finish. IIRC Dan also brought out a bottle of the then-retired Cascade Blackberry.

For real, though: I still go to bat for Sour Reserve.

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
A thread to commemorate the enamel peelers, brett bombs and ruthlessly homered regional sours of yesteryear that have since faded from the craft beer discourse.

• VERY sour
  • From Indiana
I remember a mega-tasting at (I think) dvelcich's place for the full horizontal after Kiwi and Persimmon were first re-brewed. Only a few gushers that day, but the ones that did gush were absolute geysers. The oldest bottle of the bunch, Cherry, was too sour for most of us to finish. IIRC Dan also brought out a bottle of the then-retired Cascade Blackberry.

You already mentioned these in the "main" "Let's Remember Some Beers" thread, but Bruery - Marron Acidifie, ISO FT, Oude Tart and variants.

At that point, I loved the crazy acidic stuff. Now I can barely do a sip.

At that point, I loved the crazy acidic stuff. Now I can barely do a sip.
I'm with you. Clearly, sour beers are still a big part of the craft beer landscape but those super puckering oak-aged sour beers and brett-forward beers (mostly sour, but obviously not all) have waned in the discourse, replaced by more subtle beers for those of us that have moved on, and by juicier, sweeter kettle soured beers for newbs.

You could order Cascade bottles via their website for some time. Fuck those Armand Seasons bottle with some Bourbonic Plague could be had.
Hellllllllll yeahhhhhh.

I'm trying to remember what the whaley, no-webshop Cascade bottles were. I want to say Sang Royale and Figaro?

EDIT: And I want to say that I still love those weird old labels. Cascade came into Chicago distro a little while ago with the new clean, mostly white labels that scream "I am $28 and no fun." Give me a hot pink bottle with peach pits and carbonated battery acid, plz.

Last edited:
Cuvee de Jongleur as well I think. Not sure if Sang Noir was available on the webshop.
Jongleur sounds right. I want to say Sang Rouge/Noir were available online and Royale was not. Couldn't tell you the difference, but if I had to guess the Royale was left a while longer in their signature 5gal barrels for the chef's kiss of ulcerating acidity.

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Jongleur sounds right. I want to say Sang Rouge/Noir were available online and Royale was not. Couldn't tell you the difference, but if I had to guess the Royale was left a while longer in their signature 5gal barrels for the chef's kiss of ulcerating acidity.
For extra Yoplait character

• VERY sour
  • From Indiana

Strawberry was the one that exploded time and again. To be fair, 2009 to 2011 were pretty damn good batches of nearly everything from them. Original persimmon was freakin fantastic, and I wish I could find something like it today. And I think their current Prim, cardamom and plum sour, is pretty delightful.

Everything that Captain Lawrence makes used to cost an arm and a leg for trading and was considered a whale. Now it sits on shelves at local markets.

Cuvee de Castleton
Flaming Fury
Rosso E Marrone

I feel like I'm forgetting something.
That's it, I think: Rosso and CdC were semi-seasonals and Flaming Fury was, for a long while, a one-off wale. I still remember the culture shock of seeing ISO:FT titles including FF but meant Fou'foune.

CSO

The fruited 375ml sours from Side Project. They’re still popular, but not like when they first hit the scene. People were offering insane beers in trade, and sadly, I bought into the hype. I’d share the picture I took when I drank B1 Fuzzy, but it was so acidic, just being in the proximity of that beer caused my camera to melt.

Latest posts