lets talk rye

Help Support Talkbeer:

Appreciate the info!

What would you all recommend for some rye's to get started with that are fairly easy to obtain? I've enjoyed Bulleit products so I was looking at this one but I'm for sure open to other suggestions.

I'm in Pittsburgh, so unfortunately we have crap state-run liquor stores but I think our distribution is improving and I'm close to the better stores in the area.
Pikesville

Appreciate the info!

What would you all recommend for some rye's to get started with that are fairly easy to obtain? I've enjoyed Bulleit products so I was looking at this one but I'm for sure open to other suggestions.

I'm in Pittsburgh, so unfortunately we have crap state-run liquor stores but I think our distribution is improving and I'm close to the better stores in the area.

Also in the Pittsburgh area, and have been hammering Old Forester Rye . It is fantastic, and widely available near us.

It is available at these stores around Allegheny county:

https://www.finewineandgoodspirits....storeType=&city=&zip_code=&county=02&storeNO=

Appreciate the info!

Old forester rye is a great option at ~$25 a bottle. Mitchers Rye is another solid choice as well

Appreciate it man. Actually got to do the distillery tour at OF last month and sampled the rye which was nice for sure. Planning on snagging a bottle this week.

Old forester rye is a great option at ~$25 a bottle. Mitchers Rye is another solid choice as well
Loving the Michters bourbon but haven't had the rye yet. It's on the list as well.

Appreciate the info!

Dads Hat. Classic and Straight should be in stores. If the straight is a green label it’s the new age statement. I prefer it to the old black label. Also not sure if Stoll and Wolf makes it out your way but it’s worth checking out. The distiller is Dick Stoll who is the old Michters distiller when it was still being made in Lebanon. Their stuff is young but solid, a lot of potential there.

Dads Hat. Classic and Straight should be in stores. If the straight is a green label it’s the new age statement. I prefer it to the old black label. Also not sure if Stoll and Wolf makes it out your way but it’s worth checking out. The distiller is Dick Stoll who is the old Michters distiller when it was still being made in Lebanon. Their stuff is young but solid, a lot of potential there.
Thanks for the info!

Max

holldy01 being from Lancaster and all... what do you think of Thistle finch? I got a bottle of their 2 year rye a couple years ago for Christmas.

holldy01 being from Lancaster and all... what do you think of Thistle finch? I got a bottle of their 2 year rye a couple years ago for Christmas.
Well, they certainly have made worse things. But I don't know if distilling is really for them. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a few places in PA doing an aged whiskey: Dad's Hat, Stoll and Wolf, Thistle Finch, Manatawny and Wigle with a few more places doing unaged whiskey. I have not had Manatawny but of the rest, I will say I really like Dads Hat and S&W. The other two I can't say the same.

Reactions: Max

Max

Well, they certainly have made worse things. But I don't know if distilling is really for them. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a few places in PA doing an aged whiskey: Dad's Hat, Stoll and Wolf, Thistle Finch, Manatawny and Wigle with a few more places doing unaged whiskey. I have not had Manatawny but of the rest, I will say I really like Dads Hat and S&W. The other two I can't say the same.
Manatawny is fairly close to me.. maybe 45ish minutes, but they have a tasting room downtown which I frequent on occasion. certainly closer than driving to Pottstown. I really like their aged whiskey. and they have done a few other interesting things along the way.

that Thistle Finch isn't bad.. I just can't sip too much of it at once. it's a little too minty for me. I would highly recommend Manatawny's small batch (when released). it's no 4R store pick or anything but as far as PA is concerned, it's one of the better ones. actually, now that I think about it, I've been describing Manatawny's whisky.. I don't think they even a rye.

maybe I need to revisit (as I am quite close) Dad's Hat. the first couple times I had it, I wasn't a fan.

Mason Dixon in Gettysburg is starting to sell some aged whiskey. Still a pretty young operation though.

Manatawny is fairly close to me.. maybe 45ish minutes, but they have a tasting room downtown which I frequent on occasion. certainly closer than driving to Pottstown. I really like their aged whiskey. and they have done a few other interesting things along the way.

that Thistle Finch isn't bad.. I just can't sip too much of it at once. it's a little too minty for me. I would highly recommend Manatawny's small batch (when released). it's no 4R store pick or anything but as far as PA is concerned, it's one of the better ones. actually, now that I think about it, I've been describing Manatawny's whisky.. I don't think they even a rye.

maybe I need to revisit (as I am quite close) Dad's Hat. the first couple times I had it, I wasn't a fan.
I get Dad's Hat not being for everyone. But I think their secondary barrel finishes are solid and approachable. I think as their stock gets older, their straight and cask-strenth offerings are only getting better.

Reactions: Max

Max

I think as their stock gets older, their straight and cask-strenth offerings are only getting better.
agreed. I haven't written them off or anything, just waiting for them to get better. same with Five Saints, but I still frequent and drink their offerings because I can walk there ;)

agreed. I haven't written them off or anything, just waiting for them to get better. same with Five Saints, but I still frequent and drink their offerings because I can walk there ;)
As far as I am aware, they are the only distillery doing traditional monongahela pure rye whiskey. Unless you’re drinking old Old Overholt dusties it’s going to be different than most available rye’s.

So talk at me about Whistlepig. Plan to check them out when we go up to VT in the fall for our annual trip, but what's their rep?

So talk at me about Whistlepig. Plan to check them out when we go up to VT in the fall for our annual trip, but what's their rep?
I've enjoyed most everything I've had from them. Their 10 year rye is pretty solid as are some of their more pricey offerings like the Black Prince.