lets talk rye

Help Support Talkbeer:

So talk at me about Whistlepig. Plan to check them out when we go up to VT in the fall for our annual trip, but what's their rep?
The 10 year stuff they are sourcing from Canada is very nice and reasonably priced. I really like the 12 year Old World finish, especially if you can find it for under $100. The 15 year is great, but overpriced at $200. Haven't had any of the recent Boss Hog's, but the original one was great. Not sure who's paying $500 retail for that stuff, but I'm sure someone is. I feel like the Farmstock is not as good as the regular 10 year, and basically costs the same.

The 10 year stuff they are sourcing from Canada is very nice and reasonably priced. I really like the 12 year Old World finish, especially if you can find it for under $100. The 15 year is great, but overpriced at $200. Haven't had any of the recent Boss Hog's, but the original one was great. Not sure who's paying $500 retail for that stuff, but I'm sure someone is. I feel like the Farmstock is not as good as the regular 10 year, and basically costs the same.
The 12 year Old World is $140 in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania has these garbage state-controlled stores and they're the only ones who can sell liquor. Prices are awful, distro is pretty limited and the employees are lumps of hatred. It's a really great system.
Very familiar. I grew up in suburban Philadelphia; my parents still live there.

The flip side of state controlled is that they don't seem to mark up rare or limited bottles (at least not as egregiously as elsewhere). And I think the FWGS lotteries and email system are pretty fair (assuming you're willing to adopt the technology).

Very familiar. I grew up in suburban Philadelphia; my parents still live there.

The flip side of state controlled is that they don't seem to mark up rare or limited bottles (at least not as egregiously as elsewhere). And I think the FWGS lotteries and email system are pretty fair (assuming you're willing to adopt the technology).
That's fair. The Pgh side of the state does seem to get boned a little sometimes but the state-run system, but it happens. The lottery works for everyone, but the sort of mid-tier things that they deem not worthy of a lottery but still limited have trouble making it out west.

Max

That's fair. The Pgh side of the state does seem to get boned a little sometimes but the state-run system, but it happens. The lottery works for everyone, but the sort of mid-tier things that they deem not worthy of a lottery but still limited have trouble making it out west.
(I live outside Philadelphia)

we get a fair amount of limited stuff... hot tip tho. and hopefully I'm not insulting you if you already know this, but if you find inventory at another fwgs store, you can buy it and have it shipped to a local. I've done it a couple times, most notably with ETL.

(I live outside Philadelphia)

we get a fair amount of limited stuff... hot tip tho. and hopefully I'm not insulting you if you already know this, but if you find inventory at another fwgs store, you can buy it and have it shipped to a local. I've done it a couple times, most notably with ETL.
You can still do that even if it's not available to purchase online? I presume I'd have to go into my local store, order it and then they'd have it shipped to their store?

Found a B2 Kentucky Owl the other day mispriced at $130 (think they were going for $200). Probably still overpaid, but excited to compare to B1.

So talk at me about Whistlepig. Plan to check them out when we go up to VT in the fall for our annual trip, but what's their rep?
They have a very phony slogan now DRINK SOMETHING REAL which is quite ironing considering they pretended that they were making a 10yr Rye after existing for 2 years and were incensed people said surely they were buying it (which they indeed were). Pretty strange episode all around, and a lot of people still don't like the owner for this reason.

They do have good products, but for all intents and purps they are a NDP, who has tapped into some nice stocks from Alberta Distillers and a little bit of MGP.

Their actual make, like the Farmstock, which is Alberta Dist cut with their make. is horrendous and grossly overpriced, and I usually can somewhat appreciate young rye. They price is very unrealistic. I have not tried the new 6yr that's all their make (at least I think it is).

The 12y Old World is great, and 15yr was a little overoaked but I dug it in small doses. The best thing you can get from them is a 10yr cask strength, I have gotten some store picks that were really really good. Basically, you're paying a very premium price for WP, but I do think you get a solid product in terms of aged rye, which is a pretty limited category by and large. I've heard the facilities are beautiful, even it isn't really the origin of their "good stuff."

Last edited:
Found a B2 Kentucky Owl the other day mispriced at $130 (think they were going for $200). Probably still overpaid, but excited to compare to B1.
I couldn't pull the trigger on b2, I was almost ashamed I bought 2x b1 @ $119 a piece.

It's good stuff although I am not so sure about the sustainability of their pricing vs access to aged stocks. Sure you have people who will read batch reviews, and pony up if they have come up with a high proof, well aged bourbon or rye, but if you come at me with a NAS mystery distillery hoax bourbon like Confiscated, which is what they will be resorting to if they want to be a national brand since they have no distillery much less aged stock... I think most people with common sense are going to turn on this brand pretty quickly. Although common sense is not to common these days, so maybe they will clean up.

It was at TW several weeks (put out varying amounts of bottles over the two weeks) for $99. I missed out every time
Assumed those were the B1s. I only stopped by once, but since I got by that store every day, I’m dumb for not trying more often.

Any chance you were able to find/try the Michter’s Barrel Proof?

I couldn't pull the trigger on b2, I was almost ashamed I bought 2x b1 @ $119 a piece.

It's good stuff although I am not so sure about the sustainability of their pricing vs access to aged stocks. Sure you have people who will read batch reviews, and pony up if they have come up with a high proof, well aged bourbon or rye, but if you come at me with a NAS mystery distillery hoax bourbon like Confiscated, which is what they will be resorting to if they want to be a national brand since they have no distillery much less aged stock... I think most people with common sense are going to turn on this brand pretty quickly. Although common sense is not to common these days, so maybe they will clean up.
Agreed. Confiscated is not something I’m interested in.

Max

You can still do that even if it's not available to purchase online? I presume I'd have to go into my local store, order it and then they'd have it shipped to their store?
I suppose that would work. I have called the 800 number before and ordered that way. I'm not sure if you can or cannot do that if it's not available to purchase on the website.

I suppose that would work. I have called the 800 number before and ordered that way. I'm not sure if you can or cannot do that if it's not available to purchase on the website.
Thanks for the info. I may ask them about it the next time I go into a store, see what they have to say.

Meanwhile, the search for Blanton's continues...

Reactions: Max