Let's talk Sexism at Hoboken Vine in Hoboken, NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedwayjim

Reaction score
Went to Hoboken Vine today with a male friend and a female friend for their CBS (a beer) release. There was another pair of male friends there (this will become relevant shortly). Guy at the counter looks at me, my male friend, and my female friend and immediately says to her, "in order to keep this fair, we're only allowing one bottle per couple". He proceeds to sell me a bottle and my male friend a bottle but wouldn't sell my female friend a bottle. He then proceeds to also sell the other pair of male friends each a bottle.

Now, try for the life of me, I can't interpret this as anything other than BLATANT SEXISM. Guy at the counter thought that just because my female friend was female, she couldn't possibly have been waiting for the bottle for herself... that she had to have been muling for someone else.

I for one, will never shop at this establishment again. I think the owners need to think long and hard about the type of people that they're hiring. In a day and age (not to mention town) where issues like these are at the forefront of people's minds, I can't believe that I'd actually be witness to something like this around here.

Went to Hoboken Vine today with a male friend and a female friend for their CBS (a beer) release. There was another pair of male friends there (this will become relevant shortly). Guy at the counter looks at me, my male friend, and my female friend and immediately says to her, "in order to keep this fair, we're only allowing one bottle per couple". He proceeds to sell me a bottle and my male friend a bottle but wouldn't sell my female friend a bottle. He then proceeds to also sell the other pair of male friends each a bottle.

Now, try for the life of me, I can't interpret this as anything other than BLATANT SEXISM. Guy at the counter thought that just because my female friend was female, she couldn't possibly have been waiting for the bottle for herself... that she had to have been muling for someone else.

I for one, will never shop at this establishment again. I think the owners need to think long and hard about the type of people that they're hiring. In a day and age (not to mention town) where issues like these are at the forefront of people's minds, I can't believe that I'd actually be witness to something like this around here.

On beer, but you could have passed up buying the bottle tonight along with your friend. There was no reason to patronize the store tonight as they'd already offended the group.

**** that store and their shitty views

giphy.gif

I have seen this post twice now. Both here and FB. I have come to realize it has been way too ****ing long since I have seen your face

Their response on fb:

Speedy Jim:

We're sorry for your experience and wish to extend our sincerest apologies to your female friend to whom we denied service. This unfortunate situation should never have occurred and we offer no excuses for what happened. We unfortunately did not have any management on staff at the time and quite simply, we botched our release of CBS. We also spoke to and disciplined the employee in question to assure that this never happens again. Given our diverse base of employees, we obviously are against discrimination of any kind. If you wish to discuss this issue further, please stop by the store, ask for any manager and we will gladly offer our apologies in person.

My mom is into craft beer/ specifically ba stouts, and routinely goes to Revolution and waits every year for BCBS, etc
At a RAM release she attended she was called out by a few people as a mule. Had similar things happen few other times as well
Funny thing is she has probably been drinking craft longer than half the people in line with her, but because of her physical appearance - age and gender she gets negativity from neckbeards. Pretty sad.

Sorry you had an awful experience, unfortunately there are a lot of **** heads out there who cant respect women or their rights to pursue happiness.

Back