LIF: Never Stop Improving (& win 3 boxes!)

Talk Beer Forum

Help Support Talk Beer Forum:

Keeping the generosity going since I was the lucky recipient of Compton25's recent LIF.

Share your 2019 physical fitness goals here, win beer from me. You will be eligible for a total of three boxes:
  • Right now (in January): I'll randomly pick a winner from this thread and send you a box.
  • Six month check-in: If you meet your six month goal on or before 7/1/2019 , you'll get a second box.
  • 12 month final: If you meet your final goal before 1/1/2020 you get a final box.
To enter:
  • Make a post in here that contains your physical fitness goal for the year, including current state, six month milestone, and final goal. This could be weight loss, athletic performance, or something similar, but it must be related to physical fitness.
  • I'll randomly pick a winner and start a PM where you share progress updates and evidence. If you aren't cool with sharing details with me this isn't for you.
  • Usual requirements for LIF entry apply: must be established member, lots of posts, not a dick, etc.
Looking forward to seeing some of your goals and getting way too intimate in your PMs.

Last edited:
Currently: eligible with conditions, left testy perpetually higher than right, somewhat right curvature with decent girth but not beer can status

265 lbs bw
Bench 295
Skwat 375
Dead 420

end of year goal:
30 lb bw reduction
bench 315+
skwat 405+
dead 500+

I think all of these strength goals are very attainable but with starting out trying to lose weight i know my strength is gonna take a hit before I can trend back upwards.

halfway goal i guess would be to nail the initial weightloss and concentrate on stabolizing my new normal bodyweight while progressing with the strength gains

Man this is just the thing I need
After coaching my 4yr old in soccer last fall
I realized how fat and out of shape I’m in

Not looking to win anything
But for someone on tb to hit me up and remind me of my goals ; besides my wife who’s nags go in one ear and out the rear

So far my goals
Are the:
100 push up challenge (I pussed our 2 years ago) ( last year was real bad start to year)
I started today. I went all out twice in the last 2 weeks
I pumped out 30 and a week later pumped out 40
My goal = be able to pump out 100 consecutive push ups by 7/3

also my wife leaves for work 3 days a week before me with kids
I plan to start running those mornings
I have ndver been a runner but the last time I did was a 5k race with some guys with work I was 18 best shape of my life

My goal be able to win my towns 5k in October for my age group (not competing with high school cross country kids)

Serisouly this is awesome lif or no lif
Start the convo and ask updates

Let’s get a group convo going
Encourage everyone

This thread fux, LIF or no LIF.

I just want to be able to swim the last workout I did before my heart attack last March. That was a 2600m ball buster, and I still have it in my phone.

Up to that point, I was swimming 3-4x a week, 2000-2500 meters per. Since March, I’ve been in the water only five times, going 500-800 per (that’s roughly equivalent to a warmup set).

Everyone’s situation has its unique challenges; mine is no different.

If I can finish that workout again by 1/1/2020 I would be very happy.

It would be great if we could keep this thread going throughout the year, regardless of who wins the LIF this month.

My plan is to get back in the water Monday 1/14 and go every other day after that. Midpoint goal is to average 2k per swim by July.

Thanks for doing this Kevin!

Not even in the right section ;)

Current BW 185 ( I am happy with that being 6' 1")
I don't lift
Recently quit smoking after 30 years

Goals:

Be able to jog a mile without dying or passing out first
Plan on stating to get more physically fit. Not lift per se but get more toned. Could use some advice on that one.

IDK what I am doing

Going to make this pretty simple: I've been doing well with the weight loss that I started in October through eating well, exercising at the gym, running again, etc. and have got down from 215lbs to 200, a much more manageable weight. But I really need to get back to the point where I can train hard, and for me that doesn't happen over 170. So here's my goal:

6-month: weight is at or below 170lbs on June 2, my birthday (kind of convenient date-wise for this LIF/exercise).

12-month: weight has maintained at or below 170lbs over the rest of the year (preferably in the 160-170lb range, but with strength/muscle gains replacing fat).

Figured I'll add a GIF just because:

giphy.gif

I maintained 170-175 weight for years, and popped up to 195 this year.
My 6 month goal is to be back to 175. In order to do so:
Start hitting the gym in the morning 3-4 days a week. Evening workouts have become increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do.
Start running again. I'd like to get back to being able to run a half marathon. I've fallen to getting very tired after 3 miles.
Incorporate more crossfit style workouts into my routine. I think mixing it up more will help me get to the gym 5+ times in a week instead of the measly 2 I've been doing this year.

Nutritionally, I think I have a generally healthy diet. My goals for the year are to cut out more processed foods, and try to completely eliminate drinks with high sugar contents. The big culprits for me are orange juice and "healthy" drinks like Naked, which actually are riddled with added sugar.
I suppose my goal for the entire year would be to make these changes part of my life, and not fall back into the bad habits of 2018.

Gym Rats Doing Things Highly recommend following this insta, so many new exercises to add to your training ;)

Currently sitting at 252lbs which is awful for me, my base weight was 230 for a few years when all my clothes fit and I was my strongest. And when I met my fiance 3 1/2 years ago I was 220.

Body fat is currently around 98% if I had to guess.

My first kid is due June 8th so my goal for the new year is to be back under 230 by the time the baby is born.

Gym Rats Doing Things Highly recommend following this insta, so many new exercises to add to your training ;)

Currently sitting at 252lbs which is awful for me, my base weight was 230 for a few years when all my clothes fit and I was my strongest. And when I met my fiance 3 1/2 years ago I was 220.

Body fat is currently around 98% if I had to guess.

My first kid is due June 8th so my goal for the new year is to be back under 230 by the time the baby is born.
Congrats brother!

I maintained 170-175 weight for years, and popped up to 195 this year.
My 6 month goal is to be back to 175. In order to do so:
Start hitting the gym in the morning 3-4 days a week. Evening workouts have become increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do.
Start running again. I'd like to get back to being able to run a half marathon. I've fallen to getting very tired after 3 miles.
Incorporate more crossfit style workouts into my routine. I think mixing it up more will help me get to the gym 5+ times in a week instead of the measly 2 I've been doing this year.

Nutritionally, I think I have a generally healthy diet. My goals for the year are to cut out more processed foods, and try to completely eliminate drinks with high sugar contents. The big culprits for me are orange juice and "healthy" drinks like Naked, which actually are riddled with added sugar.
I suppose my goal for the entire year would be to make these changes part of my life, and not fall back into the bad habits of 2018.

Cutting sugary drink was a major contributor to me dropping 40 pounds last year man. It;s amazing how fast you can lose it.

Former marathoner/current fat dad trying to get back into running after many years off.

Current:
197lbs
Running pace: 7:45/mile (about a 1:40 half marathon)

Goal:
175lbs (my old running weight) by May
Running pace: 7:15/mile (1:35 half marathon
Running the NYC Half in March and hopefully the Brooklyn Half in May. Entering the lottery for NYC Marathon.

Not looking for any beer, but I need to keep up my workouts, so posting in here.

Goals- Continue hitting the gym minimum 3 days a week. On off days, I alternate between running, mountain biking, and going to the gym a 4th time a week to swim.

My 6 month goal is to get back to running 5-6 miles, 2-3 times a week, and get back to mountain biking 50 miles a week minimum.

12 month goal- maintain my 6 month goal and possibly increase my mountain to 75+ miles a week.

Overall goal is to cut back on drinking, damn is this "hobby" ...

Hell yes! Thanks for posting this.
Was 220 about 6 months ago, been making changes already.

Current
weight 196.8

6 month goal
weight 175
Complete a half marathon
Run a mile in 7:30 or less

12 month goal
Weight maintain 170 or slightly less
Body fat % in the teens
Run a 5k under 23 min
Run a mile under 7 min

Just wrapped up the 2018 Biggest Loser LIF with mixed results (strong first 3 quarters, then we all kind of fell off around the holidays). However, I enjoyed the accountability so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Weight on New Years Day 2018: 315 lbs (which pushed me to restart the LIF)
Weight on New Years Day 2019: 288 lbs (yay progress)
Target Weight end of this year: Let's see if I can hit 250 lbs. That was my goal for last year, which I missed bigly. But here we go.

I also started bouldering recently and I bought a year-long membership to my local climbing gym in a Black Friday sale. I said when I bought it that my 2019 goal would be to complete a V2 (since I was a beginner, I had yet to complete a V1 at that time). I went ahead and messed that goal up by putting up a solid December and completing my first V2 on 12/30, so my updated goal for 2019 is 1 V3 and 2 V2s in a single session.

So, to summarize:

Current Status:
Weight: 285 lbs
Climbing: 1 V2 in a single climbing session

6 month goal:
Weight: 269 lbs
Climbing: 2 V2 in a single climbing session

12 month goal:
Weight 250 lbs
Climbing: 2 V2 + 1 V3 in a single climbing session

Also, paging all other Biggest Loser participants to see if they're interested in keeping things rolling in 2019: innuendobrewskiman63 primebeer steimie danidavid