LIF: Never Stop Improving (& win 3 boxes!)

Help Support Talkbeer:

I am somewhat surprised/disappointed that there is less than 20 people participating in this (unless I counted wrong.) However, I think that means we could also start a group chat with all involved to motivate one another regardless of who Kevin chooses.

Heck, just for the shits of it. I’ll add 2 boxes to this LIF which will get sent to a person at the 6 month mark who shows the most improvement towards their goals and another box at the end of year (could be the same or different person?)

I am somewhat surprised/disappointed that there is less than 20 people participating in this (unless I counted wrong.) However, I think that means we could also start a group chat with all involved to motivate one another regardless of who Kevin chooses.

Heck, just for the shits of it. I’ll add 2 boxes to this LIF which will get sent to a person at the 6 month mark who shows the most improvement towards their goals and another box at the end of year (could be the same or different person?)
I like this motivation always helps me stay on track. probably would be into sending a lif box out at some point too, I can't commit now, I have commitment issues.

I wrote up a long post yesterday (today's post is much shorter than yesterday's) but never posted it. Long story short, I have an obsessive personality (not too surprising on a hobby enthusiast site). My hobby prior to TalkBeer was running, and running involved doing lots of trail running (where I had to drive 25 minutes one-way + to a trail) and ultramarathons, which are unsurprisingly quite time-consuming. Due to becoming a father and having a spouse with significant health issues several years ago, I stopped running out of necessity and, despite sporadic attempts, have never taken it back up.

I'm not the type of person who is content with running a few miles a few times a week; I tend to be an all or nothing person (although I've become quite content buying local pils from the grocery store and no longer ship beer outside of fantasy football). Although running a moderate amount would be the healthy thing to do, being healthy was never the reason or a motivation to run. And while I may be out of shape cardiovascularly, I'm not overweight; my weight fluctuates between 140 and 155 or so and I'm 5'9".

I'm not completely sedentary, as I resumed playing soccer last spring after a 15 year hiatus and I currently play two times a week. I chose to do this rather than running because of the social aspect and because the games were scheduled (rather than having to motivate myself to get out the door to suffer in solitude). But I would like to also incorporate running into the mix. The problem is, the minute I start writing about this and thinking about what goals I would set, I find myself on ultrasignup.com looking for a race later in the year. And in the past, running was something that my wife grudgingly tolerated rather than supported (due to the amount of time and energy it consumed).

So I guess my goal is to begin running and get past the point of every run sucking horribly (as it tends to for the first few weeks to a month). Once I get past that point, begin increasing distance on a few runs a month. And by 6 months or so, be fit enough to contemplate running a marathon/50K, but with the support of my family. I think that I could be happy with running a few ultras a year (rather than the 13 in 16 months I did back in 2007/2008). In short, moderate the obsessiveness but let the freak flag fly once in a while.

Short term goal: Begin running 2 x per week. Communicate my goals to my wife and get her on board.
Six-month goal: Run 3 x per week for a month, with one of those runs a 2 hour + run on trails/in the mountains with people.
12-month goal: Run a marathon/50K.

Bucket list goal to do before dying: Finish Western States 100.
Update: Talked to wife, she is on board. Ran 3 miles Saturday and Monday. Saturday was only moderately horrible and Monday was less horrible than Saturday, so I'm feeling optimistic. I'm realizing that I'll need to do a better job of getting more sleep during the week to aid recovery.

I was thinking last night this could easily be turned into a group thing where each participant “sponsors” another in the group with a box at midpoint and final for hitting goals.

With Fingolfin ‘s blessing obviously

Update: Talked to wife, she is on board. Ran 3 miles Saturday and Monday. Saturday was only moderately horrible and Monday was less horrible than Saturday, so I'm feeling optimistic. I'm realizing that I'll need to do a better job of getting more sleep during the week to aid recovery.
Sleep's so important. I wish I could get 9 hours every night. I feel like a million $ when I do.
Been doing morning workouts and actually took the day off today. Exercised 7 days in a row. I also started drinking fresh made juices and eating a salad here and there. So far so good.

Current weight 220.

Already down from 268.

Goals. 6 month DDP Yoga intermiediate level daily. No stress 205

12 month highest level DDP Yoga. 190

Ive been eating well but slacked on exercise. Retail holidays are poor excuse but theyre exhausting.

First time I've admitted my starting weight anywhere.
@stubfacejoe let's see them progress nudes

Latest posts