Love Shadow Growler Fills at Brewery Vivant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 305963

Reaction score
Hey all you crazy cats, Brewery Vivant just posted on their FB page that they're doing growler fills of Love Shadow, their Imperial Stout aged in Jack Daniels barrels for over a year. $35, and they says it's worth every penny.

This is relevant to my interests. I'd have to try a glass first before I threw down that much cash on a growler. Nice to see barrel aged treatments being available in growlers, regardless.

I ask this in all sincerity....is it actually good? I've had about 10 or so Brewery Vivant offerings, been to the brewpub and such and only liked one of the beers I tried. The rest have been mediocre to poor.

I haven't been impressed with one of the BA offerings yet, but this does intrigue me...

Tart Side of the Moon was an awesome beer. A couple of the sours they had at the Winter Beer Fest in Michigan (Angelina and Wanda, I believe) were amazing. I also really like their Zaison, Sgt. Peppercorn, and Escoffier, their collaboration beer with New Belgium (I can't say the same about the reciprocated New Belgium collab with Vivant though...). But they do have their misses as well. I'm not big on their year rounds.

I don't know what it is, but I think I'm turned off by their house yeast. I really didn't like Tart Side of the Moon or Escoffier.

I had their other beer aged in Jack Daniels (brown ale maybe? Can't remember the name) and it wasn't good so I'm a little weary about another one of their beers aged in JD barrels.

I ask this in all sincerity....is it actually good? I've had about 10 or so Brewery Vivant offerings, been to the brewpub and such and only liked one of the beers I tried. The rest have been mediocre to poor.

I haven't been impressed with one of the BA offerings yet, but this does intrigue me...

I have not had it yet, but its on my radar. Most of the ratings on Untappd are 4-5 caps, with some racy comments making live to it, and such.

I am with you. I think Brewery Vivant gets more local love than is deserved, and that love spills over on to message boards. I have had 14 beers from them to date (though I do have a couple of other cans sitting around, including the supposedly very good Tart Side of the Moon), and I would describe 13 of them as roughly average. The only one I would go so far as to call good (and only barely) is their Vivant Brune.

Mind you, at the same time I say this, were I in Grand Rapids now, I would definitely order a taster of it.

Back