Malaysia / Taiwan / Hong Kong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically I'll now be going to Taipei, HK and Malaysia next week. Mikkeller Taipei looks good. Any other spots to hit?

Headed to Taiwan at the end of the month. Any spots near Taipei 101 that i need to hit. Any traders in country?

Will be in Hong Kong Sunday and Penang Malaysia for 2 weeks. Anyone got any info on the local scenes, if any?

Take the subway/rail red line over to Wong Chuk Hang and walk to Young Masters. It's a production brewery that will let you try all their beers and has crowlers/bottles to go. You can't drink there since they don't have the license, but you can literally drink on the street outside (go figure). I grabbed a crowler and took the trolley to the top of the Peak, drank while walking the paths.

Also, take the red line back to Mong Kok and go to TAP: The Ale Project. The people there are really nice, and good beers too. Only place I found some Cantillon, ordered a 750ml RdG to sip on and offered some to everyone since no one knows what the hell Cantillon is

Two stops up the red line is Sham Shui Po, hop off and walk back to Tim Ho Wan for great dim sum, it's like the cheapest Michelin star restaurant in existence.

Edit: this is for HK in response to Chadzero

Kuala Lumpur has a pretty good beer bar in the gringo district, it at least did a couple of years ago: Taps

Otherwise, Malaysia is an Islamic state, and you won't find much else for beer, at least that I found.

Kuala Lumpur has a pretty good beer bar in the gringo district, it at least did a couple of years ago: Taps

Otherwise, Malaysia is an Islamic state, and you won't find much else for beer, at least that I found.
Can concur. There's a few themed pubs in Penang...German, Belgian, etc but they all serve the same Heineken/Tiger/etc

We ended up being very tired in Hong Kong, but went to a pub called Second Draft. Contemporary Chinese fusion food, and they had a lot of beers from Young Master to try. I was impressed by there stuff. Would definitely try to visit the brewery if I'm there again. Really wanted to try Tim Ho Wan but my coworker decided against it.

Yeah, Malaysia is a bit disappointing so far on the beer side. I've actually liked the Tiger White. Really nice coriander presence to it. Not quite a traditional wit, but still nice. Going to try Antarabangsa Enterprise in Penang this weekend.

KUALA LUMPUR: I tried Taps last year; selection was ok but most of the IPA weren't fresh so I would stay away from that. Food was ok. There is also a bottle shop called Ales & Lagers. It is kind in the middle of nowhere (shopping mall) but the selection was nice (same thing; old IPA)

Headed to Taiwan next week. I will be staying in Kaosiung and I'm wondering if there is anyplace with beer worth drinking. I found this place and might give it a shot.
https://www.facebook.com/ZMBKaohsiung/

If you know of breweries or bottle shops, let me know. Cheers!

Wish I was in Taipei late enough to go to Mikkeller.

They're decent, I prefer their dark stuff (their IPAs need some work) One of their locations in Taipei has an awesome bottle list so might find some luck if they also have one

Back