Mead - the homebrew thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Bottled a bunch in the last 2 weeks.

Some experiments:

Bochet A and B

20 minute heat on the left and 30 minute on the right. It's made with the rare and desirable Wal-Mart honey so you know it's good. The 30 minute tastes pretty great I am sure we will eventually use it with some cherries for a chocolate covered cherry mead.

Meadowfoam A and B

Made exactly the same using 2 different yeasts. I wish this honey wasn't so damn expensive.

And experiments led us to making full 5 gallon batches of these:

Muscat Love. My first pyment I have ever made without using my own grapes.

Is anyone here old enough to get the horrible song reference?

And this guy. Holy cow this one turned out nice.

(Link to media)
Wow! I'm surprised at the color difference between the two bochets. I can't wait til I do one for myself.

I racked my Morat (mulberry) to secondary tonight, leaving my 5 gallon fermenter open for something new ;)

Thinking I want to do a moscow mule inspired carbonated short mead for my next batch. Anybody have any experience using either ginger or lime (zest and/or juice)?
Both.

listen to pdurrrr on the ginger.

I've used both lime zest and fresh squeeze juice. Made a margarita inspired mead out of coconut water and used fresh lime juice at bottling. Ended up giving them bottle a very slight carbonation. I liked the fresh lime flavor and acidity.

Both.

listen to pdurrrr on the ginger.

I've used both lime zest and fresh squeeze juice. Made a margarita inspired mead out of coconut water and used fresh lime juice at bottling. Ended up giving them bottle a very slight carbonation. I liked the fresh lime flavor and acidity.
Yeah, that's the feadback I got on the mead subreddit as well, fresh over dried. Any advice as to quantity?

Also, pulled a sample of my meadowfoam traditional and brought it to my homebrew club and basically got told I'd be crazy to potentially muck it up with some cacao nibs, so I might just bottle this whole batch straight.

Any advice as to quantity?
I used 16 oz for 5 gallon and got a huge ginger flavor that was too much for anyone but me. So I drink that mead only with ginger lovers

I did a pineapple peach ginger with 8oz for 5 gallons and that was much more approachable for an average person

Also, pulled a sample of my meadowfoam traditional and brought it to my homebrew club and basically got told I'd be crazy to potentially muck it up with some cacao nibs, so I might just bottle this whole batch straight.
IMO you gotta be like Big Sean and stick to the plan. You’ve already proven yourself capable of building a great base, so you could do it again. But you envisioned a specific flavor profile for this batch.

Just my $0.02. Do what makes you happy :D

Last edited:
30 minutes. The first picture was taken at about 15 minutes. At 30 it was dark brown.
Cool. Probably going to get around to my first bochet in the winter. I was talking to someone pouring a really nice bochet at NHC club night in Portland and he boils his honey in stages. So he boiled some of it for 15 minutes, then added some more honey and boiled for another 15 minutes, then did the same thing again. So he ended up with a blend of honey that had been boiled for different amounts of time.

Another bochet experiment. This time with montmorency cherries.

Cool. Probably going to get around to my first bochet in the winter. I was talking to someone pouring a really nice bochet at NHC club night in Portland and he boils his honey in stages. So he boiled some of it for 15 minutes, then added some more honey and boiled for another 15 minutes, then did the same thing again. So he ended up with a blend of honey that had been boiled for different amounts of time.
]

In general I've been pretty mixed on commercial bochet's I've had before, but that is interesting to say the least. Assuming he is doing equal portions for each addition?

So if I was going to order a ton of frozen de-stemmed currants from currantc for a big mead, what's the best way of working with them? Do I just go right into a mead with them? thaw? Thaw and re-freeze?

So if I was going to order a ton of frozen de-stemmed currants from currantc for a big mead, what's the best way of working with them? Do I just go right into a mead with them? thaw? Thaw and re-freeze?
The benefit from freezing for making a mead is because it helps bread down the cell walls of the outer skin, so you get better fruit utilization. So there's no need to re-freeze them unless you're not going to be making the mead for a while after you receive the shipment.

When I work with frozen fruit I usually pull it out of the freezer an hour or two before I make my mead. Let them thaw a bit, then before you pitch them into your mead smash them in the bag a bit to help break up/pop the fruit a bit. It will just help the yeast get at the sugars inside a little easier and you'll get better fruit utilization as opposed to tossing them in whole.

More not pictured, but I'm going to attempt to make an incredibly complex tropical fruit and flower blossom traditional with about 80 varieties of honey, mostly from Hawaii, but also some from Vermont, Montana, Maine, Illinois, Rhode Island, Norway, Italy, Tasmania, New Zealand, *THE PITCAIRN ISLANDS*, Switzerland, France, Scotland, Britain, and Belgium. The challenge to me is trying to find a balance between enough Hawaiian honey to produce ripe tropical fruit aroma and flavor, and everything else.

In order to achieve the best balance, the only way I can think of blending them all together in an beneficial manner would be to taste as I'm blending. I'm inclined to put the Hawaiian honey in first, in the largest quantity, mix it well and see where I'm at and how it's tasting. If it's good, I'll take a small amount and start blending in other varietals to taste taking note of proportions as best as possible, and then add in the remainder of the honey in the appropriate volumes, or decide to keep it 100% Hawaiian.

The best way to do this would be ferment each honey by itself and blend those meads together to taste, which I will do down the road based on what I learn from this batch.

Brewed my first anything in almost 7 years last night.

Mead with 14 lbs honey, 11qts various juices, 17lbs frozen berries. Calculated equivalent sugar to 19lbs, but volume in the bucket was a little higher than planned - just over 6 gallons - so maybe this will be a little lower og than anticipated. Maybe will add another pound or two of honey in a day or two.

Trying to follow all the recent best practices regarding pitch rate, oxygenation, nutrition, etc.

Used 71B. What temperature should I target for fermentation? The plan is to add nutrient tonight, tomorrow, and the following day. Will also punch down the fruit each time. Sound right?

One screw-up was that the fruit wasn't completely warmed up when I added it, but the honey/juice was a little over room temperature from sitting in a warm water bath to make the honey easier to pour, so I figure they should roughly balance out. However, the cold fruit stayed on top and it took about 12 hours for the top 3 or 4 inches of the fermenter to feel roughly room temp. Would this mess up anything?

Latest posts