Mead - the homebrew thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

71b has a pretty wide range of fermentation temperatures, I think it’s like 60-86 degrees. The warmer you ferment the faster the metabolic rate which tends to lead to more fusal alcohol characteristics, and a possibility for phenolics too. However it really depends on your recipe too. More fruit, type of fruit, etc can counter-balance some of those things.

FWIW I usually ferment between 65-70 and rarely have problems.

How many grams does everyone pitch for a session mead? I can never seem to get my hydromel traditionals to ferment down as quickly as I'd like them to.

How many grams does everyone pitch for a session mead? I can never seem to get my hydromel traditionals to ferment down as quickly as I'd like them to.
Grams of cocaine? Usually an Eight Ball’s worth, so like 3.5 grams.

I’ll assume you’re talking yeast. To which I don’t measure. Depends on the batch size. If I’m doing 5 gal I’ll rehydrate 1 full packed of dried yeast. If I’m doing a 1-3 gal batch I’ll use 1/2 a packet. But not one to ask exact measurement questions. I’m very blasé faire.

Stopped into a local meadery that basically exclusively does short/session meads and was blown away by one with lavender and local flowers. Have any of you ever added botanicals to your meads? If so how did you make the addition/sanitize?
We did a blueberry melomel with lavender that we loved. We kegged after secondary, adding the lavender to the keg. We tasted it everyday after the first week. A little goes a very long way.

We purchased food grade lavender and had already used our sorbate in secondary so sanitation wasn't an issue.

Meant to take a picture, but finally got my Tupelo/currants melomel going. 20lbs of honey and 20lbs of red and black currants (purchased frozen and then thawed and macerated) with a little bit of water to get me to five gallons. Couldn't even take an OG reading.

That should have my designated mead fermentor tied up for the foreseeable future, but I'm already thinking ahead to my next batch. I'd like to do a session white wine pyment (probably chardonnay) that I can then keg and carbonate, but not sure the best way to go about it. My first thought was to use the concentrate from a 1 gallon wine kit in a 5 gallon batch of mead (so as to keep the gravity low once I add in honey), but I'm worried that there won't be enough wine character. Thoughts/advice from anyone?

Meant to take a picture, but finally got my Tupelo/currants melomel going. 20lbs of honey and 20lbs of red and black currants (purchased frozen and then thawed and macerated) with a little bit of water to get me to five gallons. Couldn't even take an OG reading.

That should have my designated mead fermentor tied up for the foreseeable future, but I'm already thinking ahead to my next batch. I'd like to do a session white wine pyment (probably chardonnay) that I can then keg and carbonate, but not sure the best way to go about it. My first thought was to use the concentrate from a 1 gallon wine kit in a 5 gallon batch of mead (so as to keep the gravity low once I add in honey), but I'm worried that there won't be enough wine character. Thoughts/advice from anyone?
Depends on what grape must you use. A moscato grape will give stronger notes than say a zin. Also depends on how much honey, type of honey, and target ABV. The more neutral the honey the better then chance of the grape coming through. Also if you’re shooting for a session mead/hydromel then you won’t need nearly as much grape must as if it’s a sack or something bigger.

2plums4one

Custom Title
Welp, just picked up a 2 gallon plastic fermenter with lid, one gallon glass jug with stopper and airlock, syphoning tube, some 71b-1122, and I have some starsan at home. I have three beekeepers on my street but I don't think any make clover honey, so I'll have to source some of that elsewhere, and will probably do my first batch with some frozen fruit or high quality juice. Wish me luck as I've never brewed anything before. What I do have is time and the money necessary to get started. Also a youtube addiction. Everything I bought today came out to $18.50. I've had the Ken Schraams book a while but haven't read it in entirety. I've done about 5-10 hours research so far and am going to start with a pretty basic melomel recipe. I read the first 5-10 pages of this thread and will continue to try and make my way through. Thanks for all the good info and links in here.

2plums4one

Custom Title
One question I have is for my first batch should I use orange juice, lemon juice, or the yeast additives mentioned in this thread? From what I gather, the additives should be added on brew day, then 2 days later, then 2 days later. Then if you want to stop fermentation for any reason get the k-sulfate, etc..

The grapes comments reminded me of something. My latest melomel turned out really well, fermented as expected, but still a lot of residual sugar (still in secondary) . I blended some at various ratios with a $10 grenache and it was amazing. Wonder if bottling some blends would do anything interesting or is it better to just do it in the glass.

Welp, just picked up a 2 gallon plastic fermenter with lid, one gallon glass jug with stopper and airlock, syphoning tube, some 71b-1122, and I have some starsan at home. I have three beekeepers on my street but I don't think any make clover honey, so I'll have to source some of that elsewhere, and will probably do my first batch with some frozen fruit or high quality juice. Wish me luck as I've never brewed anything before. What I do have is time and the money necessary to get started. Also a youtube addiction. Everything I bought today came out to $18.50. I've had the Ken Schraams book a while but haven't read it in entirety. I've done about 5-10 hours research so far and am going to start with a pretty basic melomel recipe. I read the first 5-10 pages of this thread and will continue to try and make my way through. Thanks for all the good info and links in here.
You don’t have to use clover honey. If the beekeepers on your street are making tasty honey I’d try a test batch with that.

2plums4one

Custom Title
meanwhile I woke up to an airlock cloudy from the foam rising. Yesterday I put in the oxygen stone aerator for an hour and added some nutrients (24 hrs in) and within 5-6 hrs I had my first bubble. Now its like 1 every 10 seconds and the seal on the bucket isn't even that good. Seems it doesn't matter though as a lot of the folks on youtube just put cloth and a glass over the bung. Apparently it doesn't matter as long as you take gravity readings daily to monitor.

Last edited:

2plums4one

Custom Title
soooo, embarrassing mistake. My hydrometer was delivered after I started, took a reading today just a couple days in and I was at 1.045ish....I realized I had too much water in my must to begin with. After a little research I found that it is acceptable to add a little honey each day to get more sweetness and higher ABV (I know you can backsweeten but was more worried about the ABV). I'm adding 1 extra pound of honey over 2-3 days and hopefully that should be able to raise the ABV. Fermentation is going strong as of last evening at the 24-30 hr mark. I initially added a gallon of water to 3 lbs honey, which is not horrible, but I should have only added about 3/4 gallon water I believe. I'm in a 2 gallon bucket so once I rack to a 1 gal glass carboy, if I have anything left over I'm just gonna add it to a sanitized 750 ml with a stopper and air lock. Anyway, you live you learn I guess.

soooo, embarrassing mistake. My hydrometer was delivered after I started, took a reading today just a couple days in and I was at 1.045ish....I realized I had too much water in my must to begin with. After a little research I found that it is acceptable to add a little honey each day to get more sweetness and higher ABV (I know you can backsweeten but was more worried about the ABV). I'm adding 1 extra pound of honey over 2-3 days and hopefully that should be able to raise the ABV. Fermentation is going strong as of last evening at the 24-30 hr mark. I initially added a gallon of water to 3 lbs honey, which is not horrible, but I should have only added about 3/4 gallon water I believe. I'm in a 2 gallon bucket so once I rack to a 1 gal glass carboy, if I have anything left over I'm just gonna add it to a sanitized 750 ml with a stopper and air lock. Anyway, you live you learn I guess.
I don’t think you need to slowly add the extra lb of honey over 2-3 days. I’d add right away.

2plums4one

Custom Title
Just add in some yeast nutrient with your honey and you should be good to go. Even better if you also hit it with oxygen too.
That's what I did. But I'm worried about oxygenating at this point as gravity was 1.03 AFTER I added the extra lb of honey. These yeast are just dominating I suppose. Definitely staggering nutes next time.

And starting with a higher OG

Latest posts