Memphis and New Orleans recs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattafett

Reaction score
My wife and I as well as our in-laws will be going on a driving trip from Iowa to New Orleans via Memphis. Looking for the best barbecue in Memphis and any places to stop on the way.

The most time will be spent in New Orleans so what is great there?

Rendezvous is for tourists, but really good... try Central BBQ, the BBQ shop or Germantown Commisary for a local flair.

The Civil Rights Museum is a must hit if your kids are old enough.

New Orleans:
  • Avenue Pub - number one spot, if you miss this you can just give up on life because this is the best bar on the planet.
  • Courtyard Brewery - pretty damn good spot with lots of guest taps too.
  • Port Orleans Brewery - good lagers. Apparently this place didn't used to be good but it turned around and is now.
  • Gris Gris - really nice new(ish) restaurant. I loved the pork belly and watermelon.
  • Domilise's - old school po-boy place that's been around for decades and hopefully will be around for centuries to come. Best po-boy you can find.
  • Commander's Palace - this place has a dress code so do not show up in jeans. Best all around fancy cajun you can get. Turtle soup is the truth and if you like bananas, bananas foster for dessert.
  • Avenue Pub - after you've gone to any of the places above, go back to the Avenue.

Will recommend Abe's BBQ in Clarksdale MS. It's right off the highway an hour outside of Memphis otw to new orleans. They also have some blues museums/clubs worth checking out if you are into that sort of stuff.

Check the new Orleans thread for more info. I would recommend skipping both commanders (overly priced and not that great in the scheme of food here) and courtyard (a pretentious cali-bro ****** owns it and is only interested in the flavor of the week, and the beer isn't anything special even though he will make it a point to tell you how awesome it is because he's from cali and everything else sucks but him because cali).

Go to Verdi mart for late night 24hour drunk poboys. Go to central grocery for the original muffalatta, Blue oak for bbq, Domenica for cheap happy hour drinks/pizza, snake and Jakes for a dive bar, MoFo for viet-fusion, steins for the best deli/package beer, any recommended places for poboys (there are some shitty places but most make a sandwich worth your $) if you want a fancy meal go to Shaya (if you can get in).

Feel free to pm for more specific locations. I live here.

What is THE blues bar in Memphis where I can have good beers and listen to acoustic blues where it is not ridiculously loud and I can Hear myself think.

Back