Mexico: Tulum area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

METSBWD

Reaction score
Next week I'm off to the craft beer heaven of Tulum, Mexico. Aside from Club de Cerveza in Playa, anyone have any other recommendations for pubs or bottle shops for Mexican craft beers in Tulum / Akumal / Playa?

I'm actually headed there in two weeks - hoping somebody who has been already can weigh in. Regardless, let us (me) know what you find/recommend!

Can't say I looked particularly hard but didn't see anything other than a couple that were included in the tasting menu at Noma.

Actually, I guess I had a couple of craft beers at 2 other restaurants but none were anything worth writing home about.

Can't say I looked particularly hard but didn't see anything other than a couple that were included in the tasting menu at Noma.

Actually, I guess I had a couple of craft beers at 2 other restaurants but none were anything worth writing home about.

How was the Noma pop up? Didn't plan my trip early enough to buy tickets but put my name on the waiting list anyway.

Anything else you'd recommend (craft beer related or otherwise)?

How was the Noma pop up? Didn't plan my trip early enough to buy tickets but put my name on the waiting list anyway.

Anything else you'd recommend (craft beer related or otherwise)?

Noma was amazing and well worth the hype; hope you're able to get in or snag a seat at the bar.

Gitano had great drinks. Cetli was great upscale homey food but they said they were moving locations soon and I'm not sure when the new location opens up. El Pez had some good food and drinks and a nice view. Antojitos La Chiapaneca for Al Pastor tacos but beware that they have pretty limited hours. Taqueria Honorio for Cochinita Pibil tacos (also fairly limited hours). El Camello Jr. for ceviche and seafood. Grand Cenote was beautiful and really cool to snorkel around in. Cenote Escondido has a pretty fun rope swing and is more of a local swimming hole.

Noma was amazing and well worth the hype; hope you're able to get in or snag a seat at the bar.

Gitano had great drinks. Cetli was great upscale homey food but they said they were moving locations soon and I'm not sure when the new location opens up. El Pez had some good food and drinks and a nice view. Antojitos La Chiapaneca for Al Pastor tacos but beware that they have pretty limited hours. Taqueria Honorio for Cochinita Pibil tacos (also fairly limited hours). El Camello Jr. for ceviche and seafood. Grand Cenote was beautiful and really cool to snorkel around in. Cenote Escondido has a pretty fun rope swing and is more of a local swimming hole.

I was also there for the Noma dinner on May 5. Indeed quite excellent. Three pairings; a honey mead by Escollo (Mexico City), an amber from Ceiba (Merida), and a decent golden sour from Wendlandt (Ensenada). If you do want to try to snag a bar seat, get there around 9:30 AM to reserve for that evening. There's a line by 10AM and only 12 seats per day at the bar. Also managed a dinner at Hartwood, and enjoyed their cocktails. Simple has a new Sushi menu, but their beer selection was limited...only one selection was left. Heard Safari has some craft, but didn't have time to stop there, or Gitano (wanted to after Hartwood, but was driving back to Akumal).

Cetli is indeed now closed in their old location. We tried to visit, but they were gone already. Wound up at El Asadero instead...good food and some craft selections.

You definitely need to hit up Antojitos La Chiapaneca and Taqueria Honorio for their tacos or a torta (All four are excellent). Honorio is breakfast or lunch (close at 1:30 PM) and Antojitos La Chiapaneca for dinner/late night (open at 5PM, close midnight, and dirt cheap!). For nice cocktails and a decent craft selection, I also recommend Encanto Cantina a block from La Chiapaneca.

El Camello was my favorite ceviche by far. A few doors down is also Los Aguachiles, with good food (loved their octopus) and the line of Pescadores craft beers.

If you're in need of a few bottles for your hotel/apartment, we got a few at the Chedraui supermarket.

If you make it up to Akumal, pay a visit to La Buena Vida. A great beach restaurant / bar, some craft (Akumal and Mundo Maya), good cocktails and food, and great beach / Day of the Dead vibe.

Won't be arriving in Tulum until Sunday evening and are heading out to Cuba on Wednesday afternoon so unfortunately we will probably miss out on Noma (fortunate for my wallet though...). Going to try to see if Hartwood has any openings that night though as we've heard great things.

Thanks for the heads up about Cetli - was planning on going there as well! Not a big deal though as it seems there are quite a few other options.

Back