Michigan Bitches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunt1

Reaction score
I'm heading up to Traverse City/Frankfurt area for the week and I am looking for good stops along the way, specifically places I might be able to find Calabaza Boreal. What say you?

There happens to be a Jolly Pumpkin pub in Traverse City!
Are you driving or flying?

PS - thanks for reminding me i need to go get some Calabaza Boreal today :D

I'm heading up to Traverse City/Frankfurt area for the week and I am looking for good stops along the way, specifically places I might be able to find Calabaza Boreal. What say you?
Having grown up visiting my grandparents at a cottage on Crystal Lake, the fact that Frankfurt is now prominent enough to be a slash with Traverse City is stunning to me.

There's also a good shop in Traverse City called...the Beverage Company, I think.

Having grown up visiting my grandparents at a cottage on Crystal Lake, the fact that Frankfurt is now prominent enough to be a slash with Traverse City is stunning to me.

There's also a good shop in Traverse City called...the Beverage Company, I think.

Actually staying on Crystal Lake, didn't think anyone would have a clue if I just said Frankfurt so I decided to say Traverse for the **** of it

Apparently there is a brewery in downtown Frankfurt now too
There is! Stormcloud -- it's pretty good, too. I think they've been open for two years.

Where on Crystal are you staying? My family used to have a place on Lake Michigan on Crystal Downs property (from the '70s until about 6 years ago; property at the Downs was stupid cheap in the mid-'70s), and then got a second place on South Shore Drive in the CSA area in the early '90s. I'll be there week of the Fourth, but my cousins have the cottage reserved, so I'll be in a weird rental cabin.

We stay at the Chimney Corners resort pretty close to Crystal Downs, been going since I was 4 or 5. Love it up there!
Right on, I know the exact spot! Whenever I'm up, I usually bike around the lake, so I've been right by there -- short drive to the Cherry Hut from there...

Have fun! I can't wait to get up north myself. That whole area is the Midwest's best-kept secret. Those crazy-late sunsets in late June/early July...

Ever been to Joe's Friendly Tavern in Empire? Best burger ever, and they usually have fresh Two-hearted or Oberon on tap, along with nothing else besides Coors Light and Budweiser.

Damn, I need to get on vacation.

I just tried every beer at Stormcloud except the blonde. Well worth a visit. They know what's up.

In Frankfort now. Haven't gotten down to Stormcloud yet, but might for the Tigers game. It's early yet.

Did find BA Expedition, No Rules and M-43 at my first stop...

Bump

Any updates on the Traverse city area? Going to be there this weekend for an extended weekend stay. Looking for good breweries or bars to hit up. I noticed that taproot cidery looks like a good bet but looking for that local advice.

Bump

Any updates on the Traverse city area? Going to be there this weekend for an extended weekend stay. Looking for good breweries or bars to hit up. I noticed that taproot cidery looks like a good bet but looking for that local advice.

Jolly Pumpkin-Old Mission
Right Brain
Hop Lot
Seven Monks Taproom
Tandem Ciders
Suttons Bay Ciders

Bump

Rare Bird has great food and usually a great tap list.

Bump

I'm a big fan of The Workshop Brewing Co, many styles all done very well. If you have some time to get away from TC, head down to Stormcloud in Frankfort.

will be in Holland for the 4th with wife & kids

town website lists these places. aside from New Holland, which of these are worth a stop? any breweries i should be aware of that are on shelves in MI only?

Bam! Brewing
Big Lake Brewing
Brewery 4TWO4
Coppercraft Distillery
Great Legs Winery Brewery Distillery
Hopland Brewstillery
Macatawa Ale Company
New Holland Brewing Company
Our Brewing Company
Warner Wines

BUMP

heading to Traverse city again this year, any new places open up the TC area in this past year? any places to check out on our way from TC to mackinaw (besides Shorts, already stopping)?

BUMP

heading to Traverse city again this year, any new places open up the TC area in this past year? any places to check out on our way from TC to mackinaw (besides Shorts, already stopping)?
Beards in Petoskey opened one of the most beautiful taprooms I’ve ever seen with a gorgeous view of the bay. Beers are ok to good but the view is worth the stop.

aside from Bell's, what else do i need to see in Kalamazoo (with wife & pre-teen kids)?

Air zoo is cool if you like planes, my kids loved it. There was a movie when we were there that was interesting as well. We were there for a good 4 hours.

I hooked up in the parking lot at Ann Arbor after a Wisconsin/Michigan game once. Dat Marquette yellow gets in where it fits in. Even though she was a Wolverine, she was Canadian one, from the Niagara Falls area, you prolly don't know her.
view-of-orbit-michigan-stadium-with-fans-in-stadium-wearing-yellow-video-id170210517

Oh wait, I misunderstood the thread title.

Well, keeping it topical today: such a good song

(Link to media)

Driving through via the 75 in a few days, anything at al worth checking out in the Flint/Saginaw area (shops, breweries)?

Driving through via the 75 in a few days, anything at al worth checking out in the Flint/Saginaw area (shops, breweries)?
Don't think so, but you may run into some shitty construction on 75 around Detroit.

It has been years since I lived there but Oliver T’s in Grand Blanc used to have a good selection and is not far from 75. I know the guy at Tenacity in Flint, not sure if the beer is good, but he is good people

Back